Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
Ok so I got through my first step mash yesterday and I'm on to the fermentation process. I currently have my wort at 52 degrees, and there is active fermentation happening! I have brewed probably 100 ales this is my first lager. The one thing I noticed is that the movement in the airlock is slow...is this normal? It seems as it would because of the cooler temps. But just wanted to ask. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Airlock means nothing. Lagers generally ferment slower. The beer is also colder, making it easier for the CO2 to disolve into solution.

I did a Munich Dunkel last summer it was my first lager. It did seem to ferment slower than an ale. It was a decoction mash and I lagered it for three months. I kegged it for another six weeks and it was gone in two weeks! One of the best beers I've ever made very clean and malty. Good luck with yours.

I've had lagers ferment like crazy, and some that didn't look like they were doing anything. RDWHAHB.

I just started brewing a lot of lagers and the fermentation is not as intense because of temperature. While probably not wholly appropriate, it is probably like wastewater treatment, which is part of my profession. The rule of thumb is for every 10 degrees C, or approximately 20F, the reaction rate doubles. A normal ale at 65-70 F would ferment at twice or more of the rate of a lager at 48-52 F, so the peak of fermentation would be half vigorous.

Lagers definitely are slower than ales in my experience. But they should, with proper pitch and oxygen, ferment consistently and in the expected time period. Too slow can mean underpitched yeast or underaerated wort.

I just started brewing a lot of lagers and the fermentation is not as intense because of temperature. While probably not wholly appropriate, it is probably like wastewater treatment, which is part of my profession. The rule of thumb is for every 10 degrees C, or approximately 20F, the reaction rate doubles. A normal ale at 65-70 F would ferment at twice or more of the rate of a lager at 48-52 F, so the peak of fermentation would be half vigorous.

That's a crappy comparison.

I'll see myself out now.:drunk:

Just started my first lager but have a question about racking. I've seen many articles about how it's not necessary or even wanted to rack into a secondary instead allowing the yeast to really clear up the lager.

What's the general consensus on this subject. Can I rack into a secondary and still get the same results?

Cheers

Just started my first lager but have a question about racking. I've seen many articles about how it's not necessary or even wanted to rack into a secondary instead allowing the yeast to really clear up the lager.

What's the general consensus on this subject. Can I rack into a secondary and still get the same results?

Cheers

I typically allow fermentation to get within a few points of finishing then raise the temp for a D-rest. Let it ride there for 3 days. Then I rack to a secondary for 30 to 60 days of lagering at 33*F.

I don't use a secondary for lagers, I just put it into my keg and put it under pressure and leave it for about a month, taking "tastes" every now and then.

Latest posts

Back