lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwight_k

Reaction score
Hi all
I am brewing an all grain pilsner using wyeast budvar 2000. I am going to cold condition this brew and I'm trying to learn a little about the process. I think I have most of the info I need, but my question is about the yeast settling out. Will there be enough left to bottle condition.
Thanks
Dwight

Generally, yes. I've lagered as long as 7 weeks at 34 degrees, and still had plenty of yeast for carbonation, although it was slow.

If you're in doubt because of a long lagering period, and a super clear beer, you can always add a bit of yeast at bottling. What I've done (when I was afraid it wouldn't carbonate) is add about 1/3 package of a clean ale yeast like nottingham to my cooled priming solution. Stir well, and then rack the beer into it.

You don't get any flavor effects from such a small amount of fermentation for carbonation, and it worked very well.

i can think of a few options. either bottle it after fermentation/clean up, let it carb, and then lager, or do things like normal and add some yeast in when it's time to bottle, you wouldn't need much.

Hi
I was thinking of a 4 week conditioning. Does it matter if I use cooper's dry yeast? What if I added a bit of the slurry I save from the primary? If that is ok, how much for 23 liters?
Dwight

Hi
I was thinking of a 4 week conditioning. Does it matter if I use cooper's dry yeast? What if I added a bit of the slurry I save from the primary? If that is ok, how much for 23 liters?
Dwight

I would guess pitching a bit of the slurry would be ok, but I've never done that so I don't have much advice. The cooper's would probably be ok, but I've never used that yeast either! When I did it, I added about 1/3 package of nottingham dry yeast. I would think the Cooper's would give you similar results, but I can't speak from experience.

Latest posts

Back