Lagering Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief462

Reaction score
I am starting my first batch of lager this weekend after the purchase of chest freezer/ external temp control . The recipe for NB WW lager says to bring the temp of wort to 56 degrees before adding yeast. The lowest I have been able to get my ales with Ice bath is around 60. Should I bring to 60 then transfer to lager chest to bring to 56 or can i add yeast at 60 and then put in chest. If the ideal temp for Wyeast danish lager is 46-56 do where should I ferement at 50 or cooler? Do I need to lower in increments like for the primary or can I just set at lower temp. I put a 3 degree differential into the TSTAT, if the temp flucuates within the temp range will it affect the attenuation.
When going to secondary during the drop to the 35 degree lagering temp is the 2 degree per drop ok or should I do a 5 degree drop.

While I might not know the "correct" answer, I can share what's worked for me.

I recently brewed up a Bock. I chilled it as far as I could with my chiller, pitched yeast, then tossed the fermenter into my chamber. I've got one of those DIY ebay aquarium thermostat jobs, with my set point at my desired temperature (I think it was 10C), and a differential of 0.5C (yes, half a degree - and it really didn't go off all that often!).

It was probably 10 or 11PM when I pitched and placed the fermenter into the chamber, and by 6AM the next morning I was at the desired temp and fermenting pretty vigorously.

The beer turned out really nicely - I'll definitely use this approach again.

Maybe 45 minutes? About 20 minutes to chill and transfer to a pair of carboys, then 20 minutes or so to get from my buddy's place where we brewed back to mine.

Back