Lager Yeast in a Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipper74

Reaction score
In BCS, Jamil includes his blonde ale in the "Light Hybrid" category. He states that a blonde can be brewed using ale or lager yeast, although he says that if lager yeast is used, it should be fermented at slightly higher than normal lager temps. I had never thought of a blonde as a "hybrid," and have not heard of others using lager yeast in a blonde. Does anyone else use lager yeast in their blonde or has anyone tried a blonde made with lager yeast?

Yes, Blonde Ale is considered a Light Hybrid by the BJCP and can be made with ale or lager yeast, hence the hybrid category. Kolsch yeast is also a good choice.

Its an ale yeast, but Kolsch is a beer (along with Alt) that is lagered after primary.

Its an ale yeast, but Kolsch is a beer (along with Alt) that is lagered after primary.

I see, so I assume the finished beer (using a kolsch yeast) has lager-like qualities? Has anyone used a bottom-fermenting lager yeast on a blonde?

Yes, it will have clean lager-"like" qualities. But, not as clean as a lager. Kolsch is know for having a vinous character. The Alt strains will be somewhat cleaner. But, way less of the yeast character you find in typical ale strains.

I know that some folks make cream ales with those mixed strains---a clean ale strain, and a lager strain together. White Labs has a version.

I just finished drinking my last imperial blonde ale and used wyeast 2112 ca lager. Primary 2 weeks, 2nd for 2.5 weeks all at 74 degrees ... This was my 12th extract batch and turn out ok. Dont have the equipment to lager; however, working on piecing it together now.

Like most of my beers, it turned out less saisonish than the others, and using the ca 2112 for the last 10 brews. Thinking this is the issue. So if you want and easy saison ... ferment at 74 degree. Taste great, but I'm getting sick of it. Cheers!

Back