Lager - second try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaxsan

Reaction score
My first lager.....not so good. I got some advise and moved on. My second lager is looking good. I brewed the Czech Pilsner from AHS. I made a starter of 1.5L and pitched the starter and wort all at 55*. It is in the fermentation chamber at 53* for 3 weeks so far. My OG 1.056. FG today 1.011. It tastes great and do not feel there is need for a diacetyl rest as there is no off taste that way.

Should I rase it up to 60* anyway for 2 days? My thought is no, but I wanted to find out what others thought.

The most consistent piece of advice I received after my first lager disaster was "when you think it is done, give it another two weeks". Sooooo......

Should I leave the beer in the primary another 2 weeks at 53* before moving to the keg to lager at 34* even though my gravity reading says move it to the lager stage?

Thanks everyone!

My first lager.....not so good. I got some advise and moved on. My second lager is looking good. I brewed the Czech Pilsner from AHS. I made a starter of 1.5L and pitched the starter and wort all at 55*. It is in the fermentation chamber at 53* for 3 weeks so far. My OG 1.056. FG today 1.011. It tastes great and do not feel there is need for a diacetyl rest as there is no off taste that way.

Should I rase it up to 60* anyway for 2 days? My thought is no, but I wanted to find out what others thought.

The most consistent piece of advice I received after my first lager disaster was "when you think it is done, give it another two weeks". Sooooo......

Should I leave the beer in the primary another 2 weeks at 53* before moving to the keg to lager at 34* even though my gravity reading says move it to the lager stage?

Thanks everyone!

I'd probably go ahead and do the diacetyl rest anyway, as sometimes it's hard to detect unless you're an expert. It won't hurt.

Then, after 48 hours at 60 degrees, it can be racked to the keg and lagering started.

I agree with Yooper, that's the exact stage I'm at right now with my lager, three weeks in the primary, the numbers look good, and it tastes just fine but I'm bringing it up for a few days then taking it back down to lager.

Latest posts

Back