Lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunfighter04

Reaction score
Pretty simple light lager recipe, and my first all grain. Used WL840 lager yeast that had a 2 day starter. OG was 1.052 and I hit it on the mark, pretty happy about that. Took a reading at the 1 week point and it was 1.032, then again this evening at the 2 week point it's 1.022, final is supposed to be 1.012. Seems to be a slow steady fermentation. Temp has been a very steady 52 in my basement sitting in a tub of water.

Should I bring it up to room temp ~68 for the dia rest at this point or should I let it go further at 52? Just based on the math I'm at 75% at this point, assuming I get full attenuation.

Lagering takes a significant longer time to ferment than at ale temperatures. I would keep taking hydrometer readings once every three days to see if the fermentation has stalled. But if the SG continues to drop then don't touch it.

RDWHAHB

Pretty simple light lager recipe, and my first all grain. Used WL840 lager yeast that had a 2 day starter. OG was 1.052 and I hit it on the mark, pretty happy about that. Took a reading at the 1 week point and it was 1.032, then again this evening at the 2 week point it's 1.022, final is supposed to be 1.012. Seems to be a slow steady fermentation. Temp has been a very steady 52 in my basement sitting in a tub of water.

Should I bring it up to room temp ~68 for the dia rest at this point or should I let it go further at 52? Just based on the math I'm at 75% at this point, assuming I get full attenuation.

You won't hurt anything by starting your d-rest now and you might help it get fully attenuated.

Two days isn't very long for a lager starter if you made your starter at fermentation temps. You may have underpitched and have a stuck fermentation.

Starter was at room temp, and was probably about 3 times the volume of the vial. I don't have a stir plate so it was pretty easy to decant after it sat overnight.

I've got a split level basement, so I think I'm going to bring it up in temp to about 60 for a day and check it again.

ALL of my beers get a 3 week primary. With lagers, I do the rest in the last three days of that 3 weeks. Your beer sounds like it is progressing fine, just give it a few more days.

ALL of my beers get a 3 week primary. With lagers, I do the rest in the last three days of that 3 weeks. Your beer sounds like it is progressing fine, just give it a few more days.

That's interesting, I always thought d-rest was to take place nearing the end of fermentation (6 or 8 gravity points above target FG) but definitely while fermentation is still active. You are implying that it can take place regardless of whether fermentation is active or not.

I know that what I do seems totally against the grain, but it has always worked for me. The way I look at it, the yeast is always active on some level, and being that lager yeasts work much slower anyway, after 3 weeks, they still have enough energy left to give me a good diacetyl rest.

I always d-rest near the end of my primary time (usually do it ~ 2 weeks into fermentation)... There's enough yeast there to act on the remaining sugars if you raise the temp ~5 degrees. At least that seems to be true for me too.

That's really good to know; I've been paranoid about missing the d-rest window. Sounds like it's not as big a deal as I thought.

Pfft! As fermentation slows I just start bumping the temp up to try and keep it going. No real schedule. I'll max it out to about 60 or 62 degrees.

It's at 61 now still getting a few bubbles out of the airlock. I'll take a SG reading tomorrow night and if it's at FG I'll rack it to the secondary for lagering.

Follow on question. The recipe was 7lbs of 2-row, 1lb flaked rice and 1lb of flaked maize (eriktlupus recipe from this site). I know it's green, but I like to taste it along the way so I can notice how it changes. At this point it's got a hint of corn on the tail end. Does the Corn enzyme's get converted later in the fermentation? I'm not complaining, it tastes pretty darn good at this point, it's just a question I had in my head

Corn is going to taste like corn. To me it's what makes an American adjunct lager. I like rice but it just has a different character. It works well to lighten the body and leaves a crisp finish for a light beer. But I find it cloying if used with a little bit of a sweeter finish.

Back