Lager after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundaypapers

Reaction score
I made an amber with white labs 00024. Fermented around 65 in a swamp cooler in Texas, it's hot here. Primed with coffee and priming sugar. Been bottled 3 weeks and it strangely isn't awful. I'm just curious if I leave it in the fridge for a month or so if it will lose its fruity characteristics or if it just is what it is. I'm fine with that, I just wanted to see what the higher temps would do to it and if, in the future, bottle lathering is a possibility or not. Thanks.

I meant lagering, not lathering, although I might as well have lathered it as well.

I dont believe there is any problems with lagering in the bottles. They are just smaller primary fermenters.... minus the trub and such right? I hear people say beers benifit from sitting on the yeast longer to help clean up any off flavors. I dont know if the fruity characteristics will go away with time or not. Some styles seem to turn out better if they are left alone for a while. Only time can tell us my friend.

I dont believe there is any problems with lagering in the bottles. They are just smaller primary fermenters.... minus the trub and such right? I hear people say beers benifit from sitting on the yeast longer to help clean up any off flavors. I dont know if the fruity characteristics will go away with time or not. Some styles seem to turn out better if they are left alone for a while. Only time can tell us my friend.

Yes time will only tell. Do some experimenting, lager some, and not others and then compare.

The settled out yeast are fairly inactive. It is the yeast in suspension that clean up off flavors. There are benefits (to some folks tastes, but not others) from sitting on the yeast longer, but clean up of fermentation products is not one of them

I made an amber with white labs 00024. Fermented around 65 in a swamp cooler in Texas, it's hot here. Primed with coffee and priming sugar. Been bottled 3 weeks and it strangely isn't awful. I'm just curious if I leave it in the fridge for a month or so if it will lose its fruity characteristics or if it just is what it is. I'm fine with that, I just wanted to see what the higher temps would do to it and if, in the future, bottle lathering is a possibility or not. Thanks.
what is "white labs 00024"? do you mean WLP820? (its SKU at AHS is 00024, but that's their internal code... http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=164)

if is it wlp820 then fermenting at 65 degrees was too hot for it and that's where the fruitiness came from. wlp820 is a lager yeast and lagers need to be fermented cool. that fruitiness will fade a little, with time, but not a whole lot.

next time i would suggest using an ale yeast. those will be much happier at 65*F.

I hear people say beers benifit from sitting on the yeast longer to help clean up any off flavors.

that advice is in regards to primary fermentation: the idea is to not rack the beer before it is done. let the beer ferment completely, then give it a few extra days to clean up. beer might look inactive but there is still a bit of action going on in there.

since you don't bottle until fermentation is complete, that advice doesn't really apply here.

also confused about the yeast. the yeast you name isn't anything. i have the feeling sweetcell cracked that case.

you're not going to get rid of those fruity flavors in the fridge. you're better off letting it age for a while at room temperature, but even then, i don't know.

if you're looking for a clean beer but the best you can do is 65 degrees, you're far better served with a kolsch/alt yeast and then lagering in the fridge like you describe.

Yeah, I don't know why I wrote that in my notes as 00024, it is oktoberfest marzen 820. I knew that it would be way to high to ferment, I just wanted to see what the high temps would do. Honestly it's not terrible, as I said, but I was more just curious if people had tried bottle lagering and seen a loss of these esters over time or not. It's not the worst beer I've made, or had even, so I'm not worried about. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Sorry about the yeast confusion.

Back