Lactomel Group Brew Project - 19/20th March 2016

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled mine yesterday. Stabalized it and added another batch of the homemade strawberry syrup. End result was....interesting. It has none of the usual young alchohol harshness but does have some odd notes of something i don't know how to describe. Doesn't taste bad but im not sure I like it. The strawberry flavor and nose is incredibly faint but is present. Going to let it age a month and try it again.

View attachment 1459878212094.jpg

Bottled mine yesterday. Stabalized it and added another batch of the homemade strawberry syrup. End result was....interesting. It has none of the usual young alchohol harshness but does have some odd notes of something i don't know how to describe. Doesn't taste bad but im not sure I like it. The strawberry flavor and nose is incredibly faint but is present. Going to let it age a month and try it again.

Yours is definitely a lot clearer than mine at this point, although I think you started yours a little bit before me.

I'll probably wait until mine is almost fully clear before bottling

Oh mine is super cloudy. Bet it tastes fully of yeast. This weekend I may cold crash it.

Ok 3 weeks into this. I put my batch in the fridge to cool off. See if I can start to get it to clear. Once really clear I will take a gravity reading and see if I want to back sweeten with some lactose. If the chocolate flavor is not there I am thinking of adding another once of cocoa nibs or cocoa powder:

image.jpg

Anyone think one would be better over the other? My first time with chocolate additives. I have heard it can be hard to get the power to clear out of a mead. But then I have heard that from other ingredients and I can always seem to get a brilliantly clear product. Any thoughts appreciated.

Today I racked from the 2 gallon bucket into a jug and added another 1/2 pound of Mesquite honey (total of 2.5 lbs). I used the yeast slurry to start a skeeter pee.

Since I'm not close to a full gallon, I didn't pull a sample for a gravity reading. I did take a very small taste and was surprised to find it had a bit of milky tartness to it. Sort of reminiscent of the whey from yogurt but really not as sour as all that. Because the taste is leaning toward tart, I'm rethink my plan.

Instead of cinnamon and vanilla, I'm now contemplating those frozen peaches in my freezer. Maybe I'll top off the gallon jug with a can of Kern's peach juice. Then at some point later rack back into the 2 gallon bucket with a few pounds of the peaches.

First Racking.jpg

So I finally got around to starting my Lactomel or Milk Mead! Pretty simple, I made Mozzarella and used the remaining whey as my liquid base. I plan to make this a Honeysuckle Cinnamon Milk Mead.

*3 1/2 lbs. Wildflower Honey
*Maybe 3/4 gallon of whey
*Nutrient and Energizer
*Lalvin 1122 Wine Yeast

It smells fantastic so far but what a foaming mess! I should have heeded the experience of others and started with a blow-off, I guess I figured since I separated the Curd before starting that I wouldn't have the same messy problems as others that put straight milk in the fermenter! Oh well, it was so damn active that I don't think any other bugs could have possibly gotten in. Had I had the presence of mind I would have taken a picture of the mess but alas I just started cleaning before thinking to snap a picture. Here is what mine looks like now:
IMG_5575.jpg

Yea the whey seems to be very nutrient rich and kicks yeast into overdrive. A welcomed difference compared to many mead styles that leave the yeast starving without yeast nutrients.

Took mine out of the fridge yesterday. A lot more sediment at the bottom but still not brilliantly clear. Next weekend after pay day I will pic up some lactose. Then I will rack off the yeast and back sweeten. I may add my second dose of cocoa then if it does not have the flavor I want.

Today I racked from the 2 gallon bucket into a jug and added another 1/2 pound of Mesquite honey (total of 2.5 lbs). I used the yeast slurry to start a skeeter pee.

Since I'm not close to a full gallon, I didn't pull a sample for a gravity reading. I did take a very small taste and was surprised to find it had a bit of milky tartness to it. Sort of reminiscent of the whey from yogurt but really not as sour as all that. Because the taste is leaning toward tart, I'm rethink my plan.

Instead of cinnamon and vanilla, I'm now contemplating those frozen peaches in my freezer. Maybe I'll top off the gallon jug with a can of Kern's peach juice. Then at some point later rack back into the 2 gallon bucket with a few pounds of the peaches.

I was so confused by my very small taste sample last week that I pulled a slightly larger sample today. I don't think all the honey from the last addition is totally fermented out yet. So there is some honey sweetness. A bit of hot alcohol but not rocket fuel. The thing I described in my last post as whey like tartness now seems a bit more like a citric acid tartness. The most surprising thing is that I'm also perceiving a salinity in the mead. Maybe that shouldn't be too surprising since salt was used to create the mozzarella from which the whey was derived....

Laughing at myself because I'm still unsure what the next step should be -- The original cinnamon/vanilla bean plan or go with peaches? Which is a better idea for a mead with a salty, Gose like, quality? Suggestions welcome.

BTW, the saltiness isn't over the top, just odd and seemingly out of place in a mead.

Yeah even mine had some saltyness and i didnt make cheese first. A quirk of the milk perhaps?

I found the same saltiness when I tasted mine as well. It was still really young (2 or 3 weeks old). I'm hoping it kinda dissipates over time but who knows.

I've got both gallons of mine (a regular gallon and a gallon that had berries sit in it for a week) bulk aging now. They're dropping sediment but are definitely not anywhere near clear yet.

Could go salted caramel maybe. Tough call.

Getting ready to rack and probably backsweeten today. They both look really good so I'm hoping flavors are still on. If not I'm hoping to adjust that by racking in more cold press coffee/cocoa and chai spices. Don't want to run too much tea in the chai one so if the volume drops just going to use sanitized marbles.

The carboy is not a 1 gallon its 5 liters but since most use 1 gallon batches so did i.

This is day 39 since starting my lacotmel...

About a week ago I added a 12 oz can of Kerns peach juice to the jug just to top it off a bit. This kicked up fermentation activity.

Yesterday I moved the lactomel back into the 2 gallon bucket onto 3 pounds of backyard peaches I thawed out a few days before. The peaches are in a mesh bag. 12 hours before combining fruit and mead, I added 1/2 tsp of pectin enzyme and about 1/16 tsp metabisulfite to the peaches. I also added 0.4 oz of fresh, sliced ginger root.

I let the yeast slurry that was left in the jug settle overnight in a measuring cup so that I could pour off enough mead to take a gravity reading this morning. I was very surprised to fine the lactomel at 1.019. I expected it to be lower. Is anyone else surprised by their gravity readings? Is it possible something in the milk (whey in my case) is keeping the gravity elevated? Or is my fermentation stalled? Hmmm...

I took a small taste of the gravity sample cold from the fridge. It still has that quality of salinity, and it seemed to have a hotter alcohol taste than my last taste test. I need to head to work soon so it was only a sip. I've saved the sample to drink tonight. I want to see if any other flavors come out as it warms.

This is day 39 since starting my lacotmel...

About a week ago I added a 12 oz can of Kerns peach juice to the jug just to top it off a bit. This kicked up fermentation activity.

Yesterday I moved the lactomel back into the 2 gallon bucket onto 3 pounds of backyard peaches I thawed out a few days before. The peaches are in a mesh bag. 12 hours before combining fruit and mead, I added 1/2 tsp of pectin enzyme and about 1/16 tsp metabisulfite to the peaches. I also added 0.4 oz of fresh, sliced ginger root.

I let the yeast slurry that was left in the jug settle overnight in a measuring cup so that I could pour off enough mead to take a gravity reading this morning. I was very surprised to fine the lactomel at 1.019. I expected it to be lower. Is anyone else surprised by their gravity readings? Is it possible something in the milk (whey in my case) is keeping the gravity elevated? Or is my fermentation stalled? Hmmm...

I took a small taste of the gravity sample cold from the fridge. It still has that quality of salinity, and it seemed to have a hotter alcohol taste than my last taste test. I need to head to work soon so it was only a sip. I've saved the sample to drink tonight. I want to see if any other flavors come out as it warms.

My SG at racking was 1.013. I'm guessing that's probably pretty close to the final gravity too. I feel like the lactose plays a big part in the higher SG

My batch was cloudy as ever still. Refuses to clear. I think there is still some fermentation going because degassing daily and still no signs of releasing that pressure. I racked, added 2TBS of cocoa powder and 8 oz lactose.

It has an almost rancid smell. Like there is a lot of lactic acid in this... Not sure what I think of that. Hope it is still just active with yeast causing some of that smell. So I did not taste it. Left a little bit in a cup after racking to put in fridge to clear as best it can. And tonight I will warm it up to room temp and test the gravity.

Never used lactos in a wine before. It does not want to dissolve it seems. After shaking up the jug a lot. Which caused it to degas a lot. Most of the lactos just settled to the bottom. That normal? I figured I would let it sit a couple days and if it does not self blend then I will try and shake it up some more.

OK, my lactomel has been on the 3 pounds of peaches and .4 oz sliced ginger for 10 days. I probably could've left it a little bit longer but I have a busy week coming up, and I know I won't be able to get to it for a while. Racked from the bucket back into a jug. I think the peaches made a world of difference to the flavor. It really seems to balance out the odd flavors I was getting. I'm not getting much ginger. SG is 1.013. So dropped a few points.

Picture of the peach lacotmel below. So hazy right now. I think it's time to stop messing with this one and just let it be for a while.

I have another lactomel experiment ready to go. If I have time on Sunday, I'll get it going and post some info.

Lactomel w: Peachs.jpg

I have another lactomel experiment ready to go. If I have time on Sunday, I'll get it going and post some info.

Around the time I started my first lactomel, I also started making yogurt and saving the whey (greek yogurt so there was a lot of leftover liquid). I'm using that collected whey for lactomel #2.

Yesterday I poured about 1 gallon and 1 pint into my 2 gallon bucket with 1/8 tsp potassium metabisulphite to kill the lacto and any other bugs in it (hope that does the trick). I also put about a pint of the whey into a 1/2 gallon jug with a little metabisulphite. I plan to ferment the pint of whey separately without honey just to see what happens - too see if it even ferments.

Today, for the whey in the bucket, I added 3 lbs Mesquite honey, 16 oz bottled water and 1/8 tps of chalk. The OG was 1.260 (BTW, the whey by itself was 1.030). Measured out the staggered nutrient additions: 2g DAP and 2g yeast nutrient, divided into 4 parts wrapped in foil and added the first addition.

The yeast used was 150 ml of Yeast Bay's Sigmund's Voss Kveik slurry. I just bottled a farmhouse ale yesterday that used the Sigmund's Voss. Because the slurry was about 50 days old, I stepped it up with my must for about 1.5 hours (also added 2 tsp of start up nutrient).

I poured about two TBSP of the slurry into the 1/2 gallon jug of whey only, and the rest into the bucket of must. No idea if this yeast can handle this must but curious to find out. If nothing is happening in a couple days, I'll pick up some D47 dry yeast.

Yogurt Whey.jpg

I just sampled a little bit of my berry infused lactomel. The salinity is definitely still there although I think it's fading somewhat. I'm still getting a funky flavor and aroma that I can't place. it's the same smell that I got hit with after a few days of fermentation and at that time I thought was the curd.

Just shared two 6oz bottles of my strawberry lactomel at my home-brew club meeting. At this point is has been bottled for a month and a half. It was a hit. The saltiness definitely fades over time. Only 1 out of 3 people even tasted it. This was the first thing I have shared that I was told I need to bring more to the next meeting.

I pulled a sample off my second batch of lactomel that was started on 5/7/16; the one using acid whey left over from yogurt making. Gravity is 1.018. Taste is interesting and somewhat pleasant. It's pretty sour along the lines of a flat sour beer but with a more rounded mouth feel. The sour tang is lemony and lingers nicely. It's really hard to perceive much sweetness which surprises me considering the SG reading of 1.018. (side note, I noticed an error when I first wrote about this batch on 5/8. The OG clearly wasn't 1.260 but must have been 1.160).

The aroma on this sample is odd and took me awhile to place. I think it smells most like a bottle of multivitamins, but not a medicinal infected smell. When I swirl the glass vigorously some of the lemony quality comes out.

This is an interesting batch. I'll probably rack to secondary the first weekend of June. Maybe I should age with some lemon & orange zest. Maybe dry hop with a lemony hop.... Maybe I should just bottle after it clears and see what it becomes on its own after aging.

Is anyone else that's doing this experiment experiencing higher than expected gravity readings from batches that you would assume should be drier after fermentation?

Regarding my Peach Lactomel, it's still in the basement clearing.

Sample Lactomel_2.jpg

Bottled my blueberry lactomel and tried it with a couple of friends. Not good. Taste is close to a bad cheese.

OK. After the rave reviews I got sharing my Strawberry Lactomel at my homebrew club I decided to make another.

Cherry Bochet Lactomel:

3 lbs Clover Honey Heavily Caramelized. ( Cheap publix brand honey )
1 quart Tart cherry juice.
1/2 Gallon Low-Fat Milk.
Water to bring it up to 4 quarts.
Lalvin K1-V1116 Yeast.

I currently have it in my old LBK so not really photogenic. Ill snap some pics when i transfer it to secondary. I plan to rack it onto some cherries for secondary.

OK. After the rave reviews I got sharing my Strawberry Lactomel at my homebrew club I decided to make another.

Cherry Bochet Lactomel:

3 lbs Clover Honey Heavily Caramelized. ( Cheap publix brand honey )
1 quart Tart cherry juice.
1/2 Gallon Low-Fat Milk.
Lalvin K1-V1116 Yeast.

I currently have it in my old LBK so not really photogenic. Ill snap some pics when i transfer it to secondary. I plan to rack it onto some cherries for secondary.

What did you get for starting gravity? 3 lbs in 3 qts seems like a lot.

I didn't. I have no way to compensate for the curds effect on the gravity reading. Its bubbling away nicely though.

EDIT: Just reread your post and figured out what you where asking. Sorry that i misread it. I did add water to bring it up to the gallon mark. I edited the previous post to add that in.

It's been 30 days since I started my yogurt whey lactomel. I racked it from the 2 gallon bucket to a 1 gallon jug tonight with 4 medium French oak cubes. Added about 1/2 tsp of honey so that a little fermentation kicks up CO2 to scrub out oxygen. The color of this one looks very much like my peach lactomel.

Lactomel_2 Racked 060716.jpg

Not sure if this is a thread derailment...but I didn't necessarily brew this project as part of the group brew, but I did draw inspiration from this thread and make a lactomel with Orange Blossom honey, lavulin 71-b, and Lactaid. I'll have maybe 3-4 bottles at our club booth at Homebrewcon in Baltimore (LAF - Lebanon Area Fermenters) to share with some folks I know.

If you want to give it a try, just ask at the booth and I'll gladly pour you some. It won't be on the chalkboard because I've only got a few 12oz bottles. I can't promise it'll be good...but it'll be different!

I'll be one of the two "bald dudes with glasses named Mike" at the booth. :mug:

Not sure if this is a thread derailment...but I didn't necessarily brew this project as part of the group brew, but I did draw inspiration from this thread and make a lactomel with Orange Blossom honey, lavulin 71-b, and Lactaid. I'll have maybe 3-4 bottles at our club booth at Homebrewcon in Baltimore (LAF - Lebanon Area Fermenters) to share with some folks I know.

If you want to give it a try, just ask at the booth and I'll gladly pour you some. It won't be on the chalkboard because I've only got a few 12oz bottles. I can't promise it'll be good...but it'll be different!

I'll be one of the two "bald dudes with glasses named Mike" at the booth. :mug:

I won't be in Baltimore but I'm curious to hear more about your experience. Do you know your starting and final gravity? How long did you age before bottling? Can you describe the taste/aroma?

Yeroc,

I don't think I took gravities to be honest. This was kind of a "thrown together" recipe....iirc it was about 2lbs of Orange Blossom honey, half a gallon of Lactaid milk, then topped off to a gallon and pitched with lavulin 71-b. The blowoff was intense and very weird....very rigid when dried and airy. Curds formed in the primary so I tracked to a secondary jug, avoiding solids as much as possible. I lost a lot to blowoff and curds (maybe 1/3 gallon). I pitched the yeast in March and bottled it two days ago (so about 3 months)

As for the flavor, I'll get back to it a bit tonight when I've got more people tasting it to chime in.

For me it tastes milk like simply from he left over Lactose. Also I'd say that my has a little sourness present that I'd attribute as a milk flavor. I added some honey recently because mine came out too dry so I'm assuming that the sour will be masked by next tasting.

I just racked and sampled my plain lactomel that was started just shy of 3 months ago. The salinity is gone and it has a nice sweetness to it. I think it'll need to sit for a few more months before really tasting good though.

Back