Lacto/Cacao Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbnj

Reaction score
Ok so I am brewing a coffee stout based on this recipe
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2013/04/three-modern-times-west-test-batches.html

My plan is to take half of it and turn it into a "mocha" version by adding lactose at bottling and aging on cacao nibs prior to bottling. Can any make some suggestions on the portions to use? It is a 5 gallon batch, so 2.5 gallons will go in a separate better bottle after aging on coffee beans for 24 hours. I am thinking 4oz of lacto and 4 oz of cacao nibs. Also, time frame on the nibs, one week? Any opinions? Thanks in advance for your opinions!

I would agree with the recipe author's note about using a higher mash temperature. I find that these beers perform better when they have loads of body. Without the body from a high temp mash, a mocha version will be very sweet and thin.

I used 6oz nibs for 4 weeks for my last recipe, and the beer still didn't quite have the chocolate flavor I wanted, so I will probably up the chocolate malt % and add more nibs. Although, much of it is personal preference. Here is a nice long thread about it.

Back