lactic fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillemon

Reaction score
I have an Asian pear cider that I fermented out months ago. I transferred to a new carboy and added a little chai spice. It's been sitting for months at a pretty cool temp, prob low 50's. I brought it inside to siphon, prime and bottle, but it started bubbling away. its been bubbling for about 3 days and this morning had considerably slowed down. I'm wondering if this is a sign of lactic fermentation or just left over sugar? I'm unclear about how lactic fermentation works. Thanks for any help.

I'd be willing to bet it was just the CO2 gassing out because the temps were raised. Do you know what the current gravity reading is?

Not sure on gravity now, I'll measure that in a day or 2. The fermentation has sped back up since this morning.

I did add some fresh juice after transferring to get rid of head space but I thought that fermented out long ago.

If it was months ago that you added the extra juice..I'm still thinking its gas coming out of solution. It's possible the low temps stalled it and it woke back up...but you won't know without the gravity reading.

Back