L14-30P using a L6-30 plug - CBS Nano panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewswithshoes

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just purchased a Colorado Brewing System Nano setup and it came wired with a L14-30R male plug end. I currently have a GFCI spa panel running off my laundry room dryer plug, with a female pigtail of L6-30P.

There are some adapters on Amazon I was looking at:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079NJ68XJ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I recall i lose the neutral connection on the L6, but was wondering if this will affect the panel functionality of the CBS Nano. I currently use a Brew Boss panel off the L6, so not sure if that panel handle the 120 circuits differently.

Cheapest solution would be just to change the male pigtail on the CBS Nano to match the female end of my GFCI spa panel out, but want to understand any impacts, or if it would be better to go with the adapter.

Appreciate any info/feedback as i consider myself a novice when it comes to 240V and i'd prefer not to get shocked/cause a fire/die in the process :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the Nano has a 120v outlet for the pump. If that is the case, then you must have a neutral, i.e. the adapter from amazon will not work.

Thanks for the help.

Looks like the brew boss pump is a 240 pump, I'm guessing my only option is to change my GFCI spa panel out to a L14-30R female, and get an adapter for the L6-30 Brew Boss plug. (something like this to change back to the L6-30 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079NJ68XJ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 )

Last edited by a moderator:
Does your spa panel from your drier have 4 wires in it? Changing the plug from 3 prongs to 4 prongs wont magically create a neutral if it is not there. If no neutral, you'll need to run new wire.

Yeah, dryer plug and house wiring is 4 wire. Out from the spa panel only is 3 for the current L6 female. I think I'm just going to create a new out from the spa panel with 4 wire and a L14. Then just get the adapter to take back to L6 when wanting to use the Brew Boss setup.

Then you're all set. Probably cheaper (and KISS) to put an L14 on the brew boss and just use 2 hot and ground terminals in it....

Then you're all set. Probably cheaper (and KISS) to put an L14 on the brew boss and just use 2 hot and ground terminals in it....

I would really like to do that, but messing up that nice brew boss molded cord, probably has me using an adapter. (plus if i end up like the CBS Nano better may be selling off the brew boss)

thanks again for the responses!!

Last edited:
Completed the panel out swap to an L14-30 female end. Since I don't want to mess with the Brew Boss molded cord, wondering if I can just make my own adapter cable from the old L6-30 female end pigtail. Just add a L14-30 male end with no wire to the neutral connection on the L14-30 male plug ??

Am I oversimplifying or missing something? Old L6-30 shown in the pic.

IMG_5145.JPG

Reviving my own thread as trying to get some opinions or advice. I’m going back and forth between systems and having to swap the correct pigtail on the spa out each time I make a change in system.

Question is: Can i wire both pigtails (seen in pics above each with different ends) at the same time as long as I only use one at a time?

Is that big electrical no no?

Pic of 4 wire pigtail connection
IMG_5530.JPG

Pic of 3 wire pigtail connection
IMG_5144.JPG

I would wire up both pigtails how you're describing. It's really no different than having multiple 120V outlets on a circuit, which is the case pretty much everywhere in your house.

If you're super-paranoid about making sure you don't use both at the same time--and you shouldn't be, that's what the 30A breaker in your panel is for--you could wire in a double-pole double-throw switch so that the two hot legs are only live on one pigtail at a time (ground and neutral would be constant). But I really do think that's overkill.

Latest posts

Back