Krups SUB mini kegerator from Hopsy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpsexton

Reaction score
Anyone figured out a way to use this for Homebrew yet?

I haven't had the time or space in the new house to brew so while I figure out my equipment for small batch brewing I needed beer.

I subscribed to the Hopsy home beer delivery service that includes this Krups SUB mini kegerator and they send you 4 mini kegs a month. This is pretty cool in itself and I am enjoying the variety of craft brews that aren't available at the local stores.

I'm saving the empty 2L mini kegs and hoping I can figure out a way to use them for Homebrew.

Am I the Guinea Pig or has anyone else tried it yet?

IMG_0356.JPG

The Hopsy model doesn't make sense to me - but clearly there is a market because you like it. I looked at the prices for their beers, and they are about what I would pay in a bar, maybe a buck or two cheaper over the full 4 pints. Definitely a bit more expensive than I pay for 6 packs of the same or similar beers.

I was thinking about this exact issue (using for homebrew) this morning. I hate bottling and avoid it at all costs.......except some beers are just 'too much' to have in a keg when I have a limited number of taps (like Bourbon Barrel Porter). It would be much quicker and easier if I could buy these torps or grumblers empty and just fill them instead.

The Hopsy doesnt use CO2, so how does it not oxidize the beer? They claim that once tapped it should be consumed in a week or two. If it lets air in, it would start tasting oxidized in a day. If it isn't crushing or someone making the volume of the keg smaller, then it must be backfilling with air. As an owner - do you have a guess at how they are pulling this off?

Last edited:
This would be kind of cool for ginger beer for the wife actually.

The Hopsy doesnt use CO2, so how does it not oxidize the beer? They claim that once tapped it should be consumed in a week or two. If it lets air in, it would start tasting oxidized in a day. If it isn't crushing or someone making the volume of the keg smaller, then it must be backfilling with air. As an owner - do you have a guess at how they are pulling this off?

The Mini Kegs have a bladder inside them and the SUB pressurizes the chamber collapsing the bladder as you empty the Keg. Air never comes in contact with the beer and my first one stayed fresh and fully carbonated right up to the last pour. Although it took me less than a week to empty it I can't see any reason it wouldn't keep twice as long as that or more.

The Hopsy service is about the same price you pay for Growler fills except you get home delivery. The variety you have to choose from is constantly rotating so I guess you'r paying for the convenience and you get to try beers that aren't otherwise available.

I'll be dissecting the first empty keg this weekend to figure out if refilling with Homebrew is a viable option.

Ok, taking this apart was no big deal at all. Simply snap the collar out of the way and pry out the plug.

Easy peasy! Now the question is will it withstand the pressure to naturally carb after it's refilled and the plug and collar reassembled?

I guess I'm brewing this weekend!

IMG_0371.jpg

Can these "torps" be used in Krups old BEERTENDER machine. It looks like the same tap nozzle and tubing setup?

Hey JP, did you end up brewing recently? Curious to hear how trying to carb in the torp goes. I can only imagine that making a helluva bottle bomb, but hoping it works well!

Good Day. I cam across this thread, and was wondering if anyone has some empty Hopsy torps they'd be willing to part with? Hopsy is not currently servicing the East Coast with craft beer deliveries, so I'll be refilling the torps with local craft beers via growlers. I dissected the tap my last torp, so looking for an additional 1 or 2 to rotate out. Thanks.

Back