krausening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auger

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work.

I've always wanted to try krausening for carbonation, but I never have fresh wort available when I'm getting ready to keg, and have never bothered to work out the timing well enough to make it happen.

Theoretically I could take X volume of wort, post boil when brewing, and freeze it in something, then thaw and add when ready to krausen for carbonation, correct? I'd probably try to do it in a glass mason jar to avoid plasticky flavors, but is there any reason this is a bad idea?

There has been some recent debate as to the efficacy of freezing wort. There could be some botulism risk if it is not reboiled after. Also, you would have to get the wort to krausen before adding it back in, which would still require timing it correctly. I would stick to the traditional method if you are going to try it. And I would stick to doing it in a keg unless you are real confident with the gravity readings and calculations for proper carbonation(avoid bottle bombs). Have one batch that is ready to keg. When a second batch reaches krausen add a portion of it on top of your freshly kegged batch, purge and seal it up.

Also freezing in a glass jar is a bad idea unless you like picking up broken glass. edit: I know a guy who likes eating broken glass, so you never know.

Back