krausen persists despite no change in gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

organ

Reaction score
I've had a black IPA in primary for a week now. OG of 1.070, currect gravity of 1.016. Gravity hasn't changed in past 24 hours but the krausen has yet to fall. Should i transfer to secondary* or wait it out?

* I'm aware of the no secondary revolution sweeping the hobby; don't care.

One week would be about a week too soon to transfer to a secondary if you insist on using one in my opinion. As evident by the krausen not having fallen out yet but would still wait atleast two weeks even if it had. Some beers just take longer in this regard.

It usually takes longer for high gravity krausens to settle. I made a 1.071 double wit a month back and the krausen stood for days after hitting FG.

I would let it sit on the yeast cake so they can clean up for at least another week or two.

Extract or all grain? If its extract it may not drop more. Nothing wrong with transferring early. Just might have more yeast settle in your secondary. Why the hurry? All good things...

Not in a hurry just like to get things done when I can.

edit: it's extract

jpr210 said:
i read that once the krausen falls it means fermentation is complete...opinions?

False. Fermentation is only "complete" when your hydrometer tells you so. But even then the job of the yeast is not done.

Think of fermentation as a bell curve. It increases as cells reproduce hits high Krausen and falls as it tapers off. How long it takes depends on the strain, O2, OG and yeast's tolerance to alcohol, pitching rate, ferm temp

Back