Kraeusen for Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i haven't ever seen that on one of my batches either. nothing you can realistically do now, let 'er rip and see what happens.

it'll probably make you feel like magical gnomes are partying in your pants and then you'll run out and never be able to re-create it. such is our folly as brewers.

still haven't made my magical gnomes/pants brew yet though.

don't know how you guys do things over there but i sure as hell don't wear pants when i make cider
i have had lots of batches foam up, i have never pinpointed why some do and some don't, with the same yeast and similar juice. have had enough blow through the airlock that i usually fit a blowoff tube now for the first few days

Actually I used a new ale yeast (forget what it was, can't be bothered checking my log) and it made a sort of crusty krausen on the top and bubbled in quite large bubbles from the bottom. Strange, but the gravity kept dropping. Going to add some strawberries in soon, fresh from the farm :)

Mine have all fermented clear in the past. Glad to see this isn't anything unusual, not that it would have changed anything.

what juice is it? I've just made a cider from real apples, juiced, and there's much more kreuzen than usual even using montrachet. it happens...

On the plus side, it's probably fermenting quite fast!

It was just Kroger's generic brand. I just play around with the ciders because they are cheap and easy. We don't have access to any really good apples his far south.

Ravenshead said:
It was just Kroger's generic brand. I just play around with the ciders because they are cheap and easy. We don't have access to any really good apples his far south.

Where are you from? I assume from the south comment and kroger you're in the south east? There's a town in NW Georgia called ellijay that has a really big apple festival every year that I was thinking about making a road trip to. I went a few years back (pre brewing days) and was really impressed with their fruit. Maybe that helps

Back