Kona Homebrew Contest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sent two over last week. Cost me $44 For two boxes.

1-Ka'u Coffee sweet stout
2-Wai'anae SummerAle-keawe smoked brown ale

The on last year was a "friendly" competition... I think there was only one actual bjcp judge on the panel. I asked a few weeks ago if they would be doing it again this year and they said no.

I got 4 entries in (after nearly $80 in shipping!):

16E - Monniken Kleinlijstbier (Monk's Small Table Beer...a Belgian Singel)
21A - Kornukopia Punk-Kin Ale
14B - Hop S'lad IPA
12B - Kona Chokolat Porter

No idea...my box was slightly larger than the size of a twelve pack and weighed 19 lbs. I dropped it off at office Max, total was 22 and some change....that was even shipping it 2 day express with guarantee delivery before 5 pm

Mine was 11.8# for the 8 bottles.....but I'm in NH now, so $78 wasn't too big of a shock. (more than ideal, obviously....we need a flat-rate by-size option through FedEx the way the USPS Priority stuff works.....)

Are any of you actually able to attend the KBF? ....I'd love to see some photos or hear some reports from da BI....

I will not be attending this year. I love to go next year maybe take the wife in my daughter make a mini vacation out of it.

How did you package it? A buddy of mine back at home just started brewing and we want to ship some bottles back and forth.

Use an empty twelve pack, wrap each bottle individually in bubble wrap. I packed the twelve pack in another box filled with crumpled news paper. Seemed to work well

I shipped through fedex and it was $28 for 6... how did you only get charged $20?

Wow, I paid $22 for one box of 2 bottles. Same fedex from the Pearl Highlands store. If I do this again I'm gonna get a bigger box, as it seems cheaper that way. I warpped each bottle in bubble wrap and use crumbled newspaper top, bottom and more wrap on the sides.

Live and learn.

I got 4 entries in (after nearly $80 in shipping!):

16E - Monniken Kleinlijstbier (Monk's Small Table Beer...a Belgian Singel)
21A - Kornukopia Punk-Kin Ale
14B - Hop S'lad IPA
12B - Kona Chokolat Porter

four entries, that's 8 bottles and only $80 bucks w/FedEx WOWOW cross country for twice the number of bottles for only double the cost.

Use an empty twelve pack, wrap each bottle individually in bubble wrap. I packed the twelve pack in another box filled with crumpled news paper. Seemed to work well

I assume your Kailua is on O`ahu. Gotta try your method next year. That means you have 6 entries. Good luck. Judging started today right?

four entries, that's 8 bottles and only $80 bucks w/FedEx WOWOW cross country for twice the number of bottles for only double the cost.

Sigh. Yeah...$78 was a lot for shipping a single package, but given the distance and how much rates have risen over the years...

For those asking about packaging, mine started with each bottle being sealed in a gallon-size ziploc bag. The box was lined on all 6 sides with some very robust bubble-wrap (the industrial-strength grey stuff). The bottles were laid in in alternating order and fistfuls of plastic baggies wedged between each and every one to allow zero room for shifting during shipment (I briefly worked at a UPS sorting facility....never underestimate how roughly your packages may be handled....I watched computer monitor boxes fall 3 stories from conveyors onto concrete...). I feel bad about sending that much extra plastic trash off to the islands, but newspaper would have added at least a pound or two to my shipping cost. All in all, getting 8 bottles out for 11.8 pounds wasn't too bad.

It's transparent to the customers, but FedEx rates aren't linear. Obviously, the farther you are shipping, the more it will cost, but shipping from smaller offices in smaller towns can both cost more and take longer to deliver. It is always worth considering driving to the next larger town to ship. Also, there is a base rate that starts calculated on a "minimum average" distance, package size and weight. As you increase any of these 3 variables, the cost will go up....but it is almost always going to cost less to ship one larger, heavier package than it will be to split the same "stuff" into multiple smaller packages - plus, multiple packages will likely involve more total packing materials (i.e. weight) being shipped.

...anyone have some results yet? Any clue what time they're announcing or posting winners?

One of the guys in the HOPS homebrew club posted photos of their score sheets on Facebook, but didn't say anything about winners...

I had heard to even be considered you have to be in the high 30's....not sure of the exact number. I spoke with one of the certified judges at the Oahu contest last year and he told me the number...maybe 38 out of 50? That's why some catagories will only have one person placing, the other brews didn't score high enough.

Found the uploaded list. I'm not there. Didn't expect to really win anything. Just wanted to get knowledgeable reports on my brews.

Latest posts

Back