Knowing everything right off the bat???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumpher

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone else get irritated by people who have been brewing 3 months and are now experts? I've been brewing 15 years and still know very little of the craft. I'm astounded by the people who started brewing in June (example, not pointed at anyone), and know all about diastasis, best ferm temps, how every yeast reacts in every situation, and how long cider takes to reach optimal flavor before losing character. Somehow I think Google is their friend. I can look it up, too, but maybe I'm looking for empirical evidence, not just "Google told me so".

I will say that there's a ton of information out there for beginners to read - how many posts are there recommending that newbies read Palmer and Papazian before firing up the stove for the first time, and so many other books, plus resources like this forum.
But that said, it's like a lot of other hobbies - you start knowing nothing, then a couple batches or whatever later, you know everything. Then later on you realize you don't know much.
Me, I'll say that I know enough to know that I don't know everything.
And that's enough to get myself into trouble.

Well, I do have to remember EVERY kid is a hero for attending school at least 60% of the time, averaging a C+ or higher in school, and their lawyer wins more cases than the average lawyer... Rant over...

Does anyone else get irritated by people who have been brewing 3 months and are now experts? I've been brewing 15 years and still know very little of the craft. I'm astounded by the people who started brewing in June (example, not pointed at anyone), and know all about diastasis, best ferm temps, how every yeast reacts in every situation, and how long cider takes to reach optimal flavor before losing character. Somehow I think Google is their friend. I can look it up, too, but maybe I'm looking for empirical evidence, not just "Google told me so".
Thanks for saying it! I was most recently PO'd by someone who had a job in a commercial setting and came in here telling us electric brewers that we were doing it all wrong.
You and the season have inspired me to find "Saying it in your outside voice" Tips for new members/venting and/or enternainment for regular HBTers
:bigmug:

And those who post a question already knowing they won’t accept any of the following advice and proceed to tell such respondents why they’re response isn’t what they wanted to hear.
Do we make an exception when the question is about bottling and all the responses are "you should keg"?

Smoking a butt even as we speak. I'm sure I'm doing everything wrong. I'm also sure it's going to be delicious.
You should smoke brisket. It's better.. and use more smoke than you do... and you should use mesquite, not hickory... I don't know your procedures, or how much you use, but I know better... :agressive::ghostly:

Automotive forums for me. I recall back when I had my '01 VW Passat (don't buy one), I asked a very specific question on a forum, with all details of what I had already done, and as much backstory as I could add. I had been on this forum a while (again, don't buy one) and was known to have ovaries. I would say 85% of the responses I got were 'take it to the shop, you won't be able to do this', and about 10% was telling me I was full of sh*t in my work. 5% gave good answers.

Automotive forums for me. I recall back when I had my '01 VW Passat (don't buy one), I asked a very specific question on a forum, with all details of what I had already done, and as much backstory as I could add. I had been on this forum a while (again, don't buy one) and was known to have ovaries. I would say 85% of the responses I got were 'take it to the shop, you won't be able to do this', and about 10% was telling me I was full of sh*t in my work. 5% gave good answers.
I would like to apologize on behalf of my gender, particularly in the demographic I was raised in.. I grew up in a service-station in the 70's-80's. It is my privilege to have a sister who was the first female electrician at a major airport, and to have known the daughter of my welding-mentor who was the first certified diesel-mechanic in town.

I would like to apologize on behalf of my gender, particularly in the demographic I was raised in.. I grew up in a service-station in the 70's-80's. It is my privilege to have a sister who was the first female electrician at a major airport, and to have known the daughter of my welding-mentor who was the first certified diesel-mechanic in town.
I too grew up in that era; where any girl entering the auto shop at our high school was there only to look for her boyfriend. My first husband on our divorce gave me the best piece of advice I've ever received; LEARN HOW TO MAINTAIN YOUR CAR. And do minor repairs. I've learned a lot on my own from research, and way back in the day knew a guy at a mom & pop parts store who, on seeing the coolant pouring from my water pump in my old truck, sold me the part at a discount and then proceeded to give me detailed instructions on how to replace it myself. At that point in my life I was 5'2" and weighed maybe 110. Took about 45 minutes to do since I replaced the thermostat at the same time. I'm not 110 anymore (thanks beer!) but I still love to tinker with cars, specifically my 1998 Honda Passport that I've done a lot of the work on myself. And won't let my non-mechanically-inclined husband drive.

Yep... I own an auto shop and have been in the industry for 40+ years and I don't do automotive forums for that reason. Most people (guys) think they know something, few actually do... obviously can't comment on the ovaries thing (being a female) since I lack those...

Back