Old Ale KK Old Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKaranka

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
M07
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Brett. Claussenii
Batch Size (Gallons)
5 (US)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Well, it does when bottled...
Tasting Notes
Brett, malt, caramel, hops, heaven.
Traditional British old ale with Brett. C.

OG 1.075
FG 1.008
~9%ABV
12SRM
70IBU

Mash 60m low
10.5lb Maris Otter
0.5lb Amber Malt (Crisp)
1.5oz Black Patent

Boil for 60 minutes
60m - 1.5oz Challenger
20m - 2.5oz EKG + 1.5lb Invert Sugar Syrup #1

Pitch Mangrove Jacks M07 for 5 days.
Pitch Brett. Claussenii on day 5 for 4 months.
At 4 months of aging bottle with 1/3 of usual priming.
Aroma, body and flavour will develop over time.

Pours light amber with no head. This beer has a fruity aroma, plenty of caramel and malt in the palate. The bitterness is smooth and long lasting, but moderate. There is some orange peel and honey in the flavour. The head dissipates instantly and the body is light. Easy to drink.

WP_20160524_002.jpg

Several months of bottle aging in. It's thinner in body and slightly boozier. It has a more complex balance of flavours: fruit, caramel, burnt sugar, orange, slight "barnyard". Crystal clear. It's more bitter than it was, probably due to the lower body. Warms you up.

This beer keeps on surprising me. Almost a year since brewing it has changed a lot. Carbonation has increased. Now it has a fluffy white head that can last for about half an hour from the bottle. The body is thicker as well. It's not your usual 'malty' body, but more like a thick, oily texture. The brett is still subtle and nicely mixed in. It's relatively bitter with an orange peel type flavour, followed by a dry caramel type malt and a dry finish. It comes across as if it had a 'sweet' touch to it, but I bet it's pretty dry. It actually has an excellent balance between bitterness, booze and malt.

"At 4 months of aging bottle with 1/3 of usual priming.
Aroma, body and flavour will develop over time."

To be fair, I got it right back then. At month 12 it is as carbonated as any beer.

Over a year later and I got a slightly overcarbed bottle. It is dry, with a hint of caramel, orange peel, and that distinct nearly Belgian type brett signature. Very light and drinkable. The alcohol isn't hiding away either.

Back