Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgsbrew

Reaction score
Well I have all my supply's for my first brew any kit suggestions for my first time?? Thanks !!

Sanitize Santize Santize. Then when you're done, Sanitize some more.

Actually, one of the things that has helped me the most is having absolutely everything ready to go. I put all of my hops in different bowls and label each bowl with a post-it as to when they're supposed to be added. I have all of my equipment in a StarSan, waiting to be used. I also prepare my process beforehand and have a large bowl for my brew in a bag, etc. Going through the process before you start will help you after you get underway. That way you don't have to scramble around looking for this, or that, or how much of this to add, etc.

Good luck!

Look at the yeast you have for the fermentation. It has a recommended range of temperature for the best results. Try to put your fermenter where you can keep it near the cooler end of that range. Let it ferment at least 5 days or a few more, then let it warm up a few degrees to encourage the yeast to complete the job. That has been the single most important thing to make my beer better.

The second thing that has helped my beer taste better is to leave it in the fermenter longer. Lots of kits will suggest your beer is done in a week. Not so. Give it 3 weeks and you will have much better beer.

oh, i thought the OP was looking for kit recommendations.

if so, a couple of days ago, I had a Brewers Best smoked porter that was pretty good.

What beer do you like to drink? Just find a kit that makes something like that.

Oh, and while you are at the store, pick up another fermenter because you are going to want to brew another batch well before the first one is done. Trust me.

I'd suggest getting something that doesn't take a long time to ferment or bottle condition. Like a pale ale,wheat beer,amber ale,that sort of thing.

Yep +1 on unionrdr's comment. Also it helps if you get your kit from a store that has high turnover to ensure freshness of ingredients. Online stores like Austin and midwest seem to have very fresh ingredients in there kits....well at least the ones that I have tried.

I'd suggest getting something that doesn't take a long time to ferment or bottle condition. Like a pale ale,wheat beer,amber ale,that sort of thing.

+1. waiting on your first batch is hard to do!

Brown Ale is a good starting beer. It's hard to find someone who likes beer who does not like a brown ale. I brewed a Brewer's Best Brown Ale as my first beer; 10 days in fermenter, 2 weeks in bottles and it was good in under 4 weeks! It got better after 6 weeks in bottles but that was a quick beer!

Back