Kilts and the brewers who wear them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ever worn a kilt?

• Yes, I own one and have been known to wear it on occasion.

• Nope, never, nada, eva eva eva in a million years.

• Never have, but would like to given the chance.

• Yes and never will again.

• Yes, and I want to again.

Results are only viewable after voting.
My last name is Campbell, if someone were to buy me a Campbell plaid kilt, I would gladly wear it...especially in St. Patty's Day...ok, Campbell is Scots-Irish, but still half Irish.

Kilts are fun, just don't believe that the particular tartan really means anything or that your "clan affiliation" is anything more than made up. :D

FWIW Scotland sucks. I can get my scotch in the US cheaper than I could at home so I feel no reason to ever go back. :D

Kilts are fun, just don't believe that the particular tartan really means anything or that your "clan affiliation" is anything more than made up. :D

FWIW Scotland sucks. I can get my scotch in the US cheaper than I could at home so I feel no reason to ever go back. :D

Not really made up, but you are right about using the word affiliation. Like tribes of Native Americans the whole tribe/clan doesn't have the same last name or blood. Where you were and who was the chief power house Clan in your area is who you affiliated with. That is what makes it difficult to 100% lock down a Clan based on anything but DNA, but also what makes it ok to not be specific about the Clan you have chosen to affiliate with. They have proof of actual tartan from Clans, but they can't prove they were the whole Clans tartan.

I'm a Lowry for example. I can associate with both Clan MacLaren and House of Gordon, as well as the Lowry Clan (a very recent thing) and the Irish County Tyrone tartan. I would bet that if everyone gave DNA I would be in all three Clans, but back then I would have only lived one place and worn one Clan's tartan. It is really just a fun way of affiliating with others of similar origin. In all honesty the chiefs and their lineage are/were the only things people in the Clan kept "in the family" just like all Lords/Monarchs/aristocracy all over the world.

I proudly wear my Gordon, and would so with any I am associated with, but I will wear anything that looks good and would never look down on someone wearing my tartans. It is fun and gives people something to talk about, which is always a good thing ;).

My last name is Campbell, if someone were to buy me a Campbell plaid kilt, I would gladly wear it...especially in St. Patty's Day...ok, Campbell is Scots-Irish, but still half Irish.
Campbell is one of the largest Clans in Scotland with one of the longest list of Septs. MacDonald is large too and encompasses a lot or Septs as well.

Its hard to find an excuse to wear a kilt in Arkansas. But, how about a brewer that owns a kilt and brews in a Clan MacPherson t-shirt? Close enough?

I find that when I wear my kilt I get unsolicited positive attention from females and unsolicited negative attention from males.

This is a pretty simple balance of power, I love to wear it :D

It is funny that this poll is telling the same story as is true everywhere. It is usually about 25% of the people thinking kilts are a closet-homosexual/cross-dresser/un-manly type of thing, with the other 75% either having worn them or would given the chance. I find it funny that people will wear "anything" (on Halloween or when they have an excuse) and that be ok, but they can't/won't feel comfortable wearing something other than pants or shorts any other time. I mean, it's not like you wrapped a towel around yourself or something. That and people always think you are naked underneath. I wear boxers for kilt cleanliness and for the inevitable drunken-kilt-lifting. In my wear it is no different than a pair of long shorts, just way more comfortable and your moose knuckles won't show when you get older. LOL

I was reading this and thought I would share. Source Link

The Clan System
One of a series of seven articles by Brian Wilton reproduced here by kind permission of the House of Edgar, Perth.
'Clan' is the Gaelic for 'family' and clans belonged to the Highlands. In simple terms, clan society evolved from the earlier Celtic tribal society. Each clan had its own land-owning chief who leased it out to 'tacksmen' who then rented it to the tenant farmers within the clan. In return for this and the protection afforded by the Chief, the clansmen would pledge their allegiance and when called upon, would turn out to fight in the Chief's private army. A very early observer of the Celts, the famous Greek geographer Strabo (circa 50BC - 24AD) wrote of them "The whole race which is now called Celtic or Gallic is madly fond of war, high spirited and quick to battle but otherwise straightforward and not of evil character. And so when they are stirred up they assemble in their bands for battle, quite openly and without forethought; so that they are easily handled by those who desire to outwit them."

They were said to be brave and impetuous in attack but became demoralised quickly by failure and often suffered defeat through their own indiscipline. It's written that even the mere provocation of a drunken insult was hardly necessary to start a fight, since warfare was one of their major pastimes, and if they lacked the stimulus of a foreign enemy they were perfectly content to battle among themselves!​

It's no surprise then, that in 80AD when the Roman general Gnaeus Julius Agricola set out to conquer the Celts in Britain, the famous Roman chronicler Tacitus commented 'fortune can give no greater boon than discord among our foes.' With a reported 21 different tribes in Scotland at that time, there was obviously plenty scope for such internal dissension. Such a genetic legacy was to keep the country in turmoil for almost two millennia and was the cornerstone of the clan system in that unique Land of the Celts - the Scottish Highlands. Indeed, so extensive has been that inherited baggage that many of we modern Celts are still dragging some of it around with us!​

To the Celts, 'the boar personified the divine spirit of courage, strength and sexual prowess' and today this emblem can be seen in many clan crests, arms and banners — Campbell, Chisholm, Ferguson, Gordon, Innes, Lockhart, MacIver, MacKinnon, Nisbet, Rose, MacKintosh, Swinton, Urquhart and Weir. Historian and prolific author, the late Ian Grimble talks of one of the strangest examples of the longevity of Celtic belief and custom which was the cult of the human head. "It is typical" he said "of the paradoxical behaviour of these combative but sensitive people that they venerated the human head as the repository of wisdom and virtue, and yet debased this concept by the practice of head-hunting." Today's badges for the MacNabs, Menzies and Muirs all feature severed heads and in many clan atrocities over the years, severed heads are a central feature.​

Like the boar, the mare, the cat and even the wolf were also ancient pagan symbols of superhuman power perpetuated by the Celts. The origins and early affinities of many of today's clans can be seen in their clan badges: the dominant clan amongst the Children of the Cat were the Mackintoshes whose motto is "Touch not the cat bot a glove" (touch not the cat without a glove) and no less than four other clans share that motto — Chattan, Gow, MacBain and MacPherson.​

It is generally accepted that the structure of Scottish society - and therefore the clan system - underwent a major change in the 11th century. The second marriage of King Malcolm III (1058-93) was to the Saxon Princess Margaret, granddaughter of the English King, Edmund Ironside. Queen Margaret was a devout Catholic and under her influence at court, Catholicism burgeoned, the ancient Celtic church was sidelined and the King adopted southern customs. One of these was English feudalism under which the land became the property of the King who could then distribute it at his will to those who supported and protected him. This was diametrically opposed to the Celtic Patriarchal system under which the land had belonged to the tribes.​

The changing distribution of clan names is evidence of the cost of backing the wrong horse! It could mean that your clan was scattered to the winds with the victors picking over your land holdings and sharing them out to their cronies. The poor MacSweens once owned huge tracts of land, north, south and west of Lochgilphead in Argyll, only to have them confiscated by Robert the Bruce when they sided with his enemies. Today the main concentrations of MacSweens are said to be on the tiny island of Scalpay in the Outer Hebrides. Clan Campbell and Clan Donald both supported Robert the Bruce and were amply rewarded and those MacSweens who remained in Argyll, became vassals to the Campbells. Such then was the ebb and flow of clan fortunes which was replicated throughout the Highlands of Scotland.​

When events dispersed clans, and deportations and enforced clearances scattered clansmen to various corners of the New World, clanship as such was often replaced with a wider, more fervent and often melancholic love of their birthplace. Clans put aside their differences and worked together against the vicissitudes of their adopted - and often primitive - country. Their values, their enthusiasm, their work ethic, all helped them thrive and the landscapes of their adopted countries are liberally sprinkled with names to remind them of their homeland.​

Scottish humorist, the late Cliff Hanley, perceptively wrote that when an émigré Scot reached the three mile territorial limit, his skin turned tartan! Distance and absence certainly makes the heart grow fonder and has been responsible over the generations for the establishment around the world of many hundreds of cultural, social and charitable Scottish organisations: clan and family associations, Burns Clubs, pipe bands, Caledonian and St. Andrews Societies, Highland games, Scottish Country dance clubs, re-enactment societies . . . . a global web of invisible strands of kinship reaching back through time and space to the beloved 'old country'.​
Tartan blood is most certainly thicker than water!

Cool! Good read, thanks. :mug:
On my mothers side I have Clans Douglas and Mackintosh
On my fathers side I have Clan Murray
Competed in a Scottish Games once. I used to love throwing things. :D

Not really made up, but you are right about using the word affiliation. Like tribes of Native Americans the whole tribe/clan doesn't have the same last name or blood. Where you were and who was the chief power house Clan in your area is who you affiliated with. That is what makes it difficult to 100% lock down a Clan based on anything but DNA, but also what makes it ok to not be specific about the Clan you have chosen to affiliate with. They have proof of actual tartan from Clans, but they can't prove they were the whole Clans tartan.

I'm a Lowry for example. I can associate with both Clan MacLaren and House of Gordon, as well as the Lowry Clan (a very recent thing) and the Irish County Tyrone tartan. I would bet that if everyone gave DNA I would be in all three Clans, but back then I would have only lived one place and worn one Clan's tartan. It is really just a fun way of affiliating with others of similar origin. In all honesty the chiefs and their lineage are/were the only things people in the Clan kept "in the family" just like all Lords/Monarchs/aristocracy all over the world.

I proudly wear my Gordon, and would so with any I am associated with, but I will wear anything that looks good and would never look down on someone wearing my tartans. It is fun and gives people something to talk about, which is always a good thing ;).

The "clan tartan" was defined by some dodgy book written in bad Latin that a couple of dudes claiming to be descended from Bonnie Prince Charlie or somesuch produced and wouldn't let anyone else look at for very long. There isn't any real evidence that different clans had their own tartans. For once Wikipedia is trustworthy.

Tartan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The first publication showing plates of clan tartans was the Vestiarium Scoticum published in 1842. The Vestiarium was the work of two brothers: John Sobieski and Charles Allen Hay. The brothers, who called themselves John Sobieski Stolberg Stuart and Charles Edward Stuart, first appeared in Scotland in 1822. The two claimed to be grandsons of Prince Charles Edward Stuart and his wife Princess Louise of Stolberg, and consequence later became known as the "Sobieski Stuarts". The Sobieski Stuarts claimed that the Vestiarium was based upon a copy of an ancient manuscript on clan tartans—a manuscript which they never managed to produce."

As far as I'm concerned 1842 is "last week" in historical terms. It's certainly not "old" when you consider that tartan is a "BC" invention, even by the time it got to Scotland. I am a well known "hater" however. ;)

My clan affiliation as a Simpson is Fraser. However no one asked the head of the Fraser clan if this was OK. After years of outlawing the wearing tartan or anything distinguishing someone as a highlander it became trendy to make up a clan affiliation. I'm a lowlander and technically have no business wearing a kilt.

Dressing in kilts is fun as I said. When I wear one I pick one I like (usually Black Watch) which is more likely how tartans were traditionally chosen by the wearer. However if you want a fun night out in Glasgow may I suggest a Western Theme Bar. (You think I'm kidding?)

Buffalo Joe's Gateshead and Glasgow | Buffalo Joes

I'm shopping for a new kilt now- I'm torn between a tartan (likely a weathered Mackenzie or Thompson Grey) and something more casual in modern fabric. Wortmonger, throw some suggestions my way. ;)

Thanks Brian! I've been looking at the 'kilt kits' on USA Kilts this morning.

My Utilikilt is fitted for a lower ride, and I'm looking to try something more in the traditional fit.

Freedom Kilts does a more traditional fit, apron, etc, but the price reflects the work put in. And they are in Vancouver, BC so shipping considerations there as well. I've got a casual, semi-trad and traditional from USAKilts. Top notch work, and you could even make the drive there if you wanted. They're just outside Philly a bit.

Yeah, Phoenixville isn't far all- definitely need to swing out there one weekend and chat with Rocky.

I'd like a good hiker kilt as well- going to check out SportKilt.

Just placed my order for a SportKilt- a good hiker cut, methinks.

This is their Hunting tartan:

K_HUNT.jpg

Well, I was gone this weekend but as the name suggests Kilted Brewer has the info for you guys. I only started the thread :) I would throw in Frugal Corner for their 16oz actually owning and loving it. I haven't seen anything else other than the "Tank" at a wedding. That'd be the 16oz Strome wortsed wool Lochcarron traditional kilt. I have no idea who made it, but as a rental it was in a whole other class of garment so I try not to even talk about them when talking about kilts due to their price. Cheap is cheap and mine is, but I like nice things and it is nice so... take it for what it is worth. I will definitely spend the bucks though to get a nice one one day, me thinks Thomas Gordon and Sons in a nice weathered MacLaren or a weathered Gordon. One day, one day!! I have really enjoyed looking at the links provided by KB and I will be purchasing from a few of those store over the next few years.

Oh, and your welcome Anbrew. I really enjoyed reading that one as well.

I've looked a few times for Maclaren, all I can find is anywhere from 895-995. So, it'll be one of those things I get eventually. BTW, nice read, really enjoyed it.

Looks like SportKilt has MacLaren...USAKilts came up in the search, but I didn't see it on their site. They aren't limited to what they have on the site, so call them and see if it's something they can do for you. Both options will bring you in well under $900, well under $300 depending on what "version" you go with.

Not bad!! I looked at SportKilt and with everything that I would order it came to about 270.00. That did not include shipping, so maybe I'll have a new kilt soon. (Just what I need, another obsession!!)

When I hike I wear the Mountain Hardwear Mountain Kilt. Wore it on My AT thru hike last year for 7 months straight day in day out. But....any true Scot made call it a skirt instead of a kilt :D

tj3800%5F082307%5F212006%5F250924.jpg

Hungus on Killington

I must say, there are few things better in this world than waiting to play a rugby match while kilted. Except for the pub social afterwards.

You know, I've been meaning to post back to this thread (nice kilt BTW ^^^). I showed SWMBO the sportkilt website and she told me NOT to look at those and just wait until we can get a "proper" kilt. I'm a little excited.

Most times she agrees with my small steps, but this time she just looked at me and said, "That is not a man in a kilt, that is a man in a SKIRT." So, I guess I should wait. No offense to anyone with a sport kilt, :D I liked 'em she just wasn't having it.

I went to the UK once with the full intention of buying myself a kilt from my grandfather's clan and I couldn't even come close to affording it. I don't know if I went to a place that was a high class kilt shop, or what, but I definately left disappointed.

What clan were you looking for? Maybe we can help ya find it a little less expensively. Plus, I don't know about you, but whenever I've been in another country I tend to forget to convert to local currency,:D and that value can change from day to day.

So, I definately just wore a great kilt down to the stop'n'rob. I got looks I didn't know a face could make.

Also, just finished an Xkilt from XMarkstheScot.
kilt.jpg

Just found out i'm part of the same clan as Wortmonger (Gordon clan). My last name is Mullinix but my great grandfather (Gordon) immigrated straight from scotland. Anyways, i got my dress gordon kilt with accessories when i went to Scotland a few years ago (when i was stationed in germany [trying desparately to go back!]) and took a few pics of one of our family castle! The actual gordon castle is still a residence so you can't visit it but the Huntley castle used to be the seat of the Gordon's so i visited there. Enjoy the pics! Nevermind the shirt of the one with me in the kilt (like i said, it was a few years ago) :D.

Huntlycastle4.jpg

Huntlycastle5.jpg

Huntlycastle8.jpg

Back