Kilts and the brewers who wear them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ever worn a kilt?

• Yes, I own one and have been known to wear it on occasion.

• Nope, never, nada, eva eva eva in a million years.

• Never have, but would like to given the chance.

• Yes and never will again.

• Yes, and I want to again.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yep, I'd be willing to bet the guy that can answer without answering a specifically asked question about a kilt wouldn't have the balls to wear lederhosen either. What is the problem with ethnic dress? And like I said earlier, the German men even have a skirt and it is full length.

My wife has been reading some celtic bodice-ripper novels (chick pron) and wants me to get a kilt now. Gonna hafta find my tartan...

You're absolutely right. A kilt, by definition, is a type of skirt. A pleated skirt worn by men. It's kind of like a stout is a type of beer. All stouts are beers, but not all beers are stouts. So if you were attempting to offend you've utterly failed.

:mug: :tank:

oh%20snap.jpg

I, like Kilted Brewer am a member of the kilted forum X Marks The Scot. If you guys would like to ever know anything about a kilt, then that is the place. I know Kilted Brewer already mentioned it, but it is such a great forum I had to reiterate.

I have a Gordon and a bastardized cross between Royal Stewart and Tipperary that I sewed myself. Six yards in the one I made.

Now that I've done the research, I have to get a proper Tipperary. I'm Clan Egan, County Tipperary sine the early 1000's

A skirt is a skirt, no matter how much other crap you attach to it to try to look manly.

Hey if you're to scared to have a woman ask you what's under the kilt and not man enough to show her your :ban: that's not our problem. ;)

Hey if you're to scared to have a woman ask you what's under the kilt and not man enough to show her your :ban: that's not our problem. ;)

No, what I'm afraid of is that she'd think I had the same thing under there that she has! ;)

Nobody's answered my Lederhosen question, BTW.

I would wear lederhosen. Let me find the picture where I am wearing lederhosen, old girlfriend keep-sake box somewhere. Point is you didn't answer the question I posed to you first schneemann in post #85. This would also cover the lederhosen vs. kilt question if you want to pose that as well.

It is obvious to me you are just not as able to be comfortable in "other than main stream" clothing and that is ok. It isn't really cool to come tell others that they are girlish for it, and as a matter of fact it is rude. I bet you weren't comfortable in a Boy Scouts of America uniform either and thought it was gay, but yet why does the "main stream" put such a high priority on getting your Eagle scout? I know a lot of kids that never became Eagles because of kids talking as you are now making fun of them for wearing a silly uniform. I'm just saying, answer my question please honestly I answered your with a big affirmative.

Oh, and to all you scouts out there... how bout them shorts huh? Ouch, that would have been my preference in scouting after the first rolled nut in those green nasties, ouch. I mean after all, I am wearing a silly uniform with badges of merit all over it and doing good deeds, so why wouldn't some A-hole want to make fun of me for it?

I think the shorts were thought up by some pederast scout leader to see little boys moose knuckles, lol. Man those shorts were tight in the inseam. with useless little snap pockets on both sides... gay!!!! Wearing all different colored tartan would have looked really cool with a uniform.

LOL, all the fat kids blew their seats out at Shiloh, lol. We had to hike up so much stuff and then playing around they would just blow out, lol. Too funny!!! They stitched them and had to be extra careful, lol, only now they were a little tighter, lol.

It is obvious to me you are just not as able to be comfortable in "other than main stream" clothing and that is ok. It isn't really cool to come tell others that they are girlish for it, and as a matter of fact it is rude. I bet you

Actually, I was just teasing. As far as I'm concerned you can wear whatever the heck you want to wear including, kilts or even dresses.

And it may benefit you to refrain from making too many assumptions, regarding how I feel about "main stream clothing". While other people go through the motions of their safe rebellion wearing silly clothes and patting themselves on the back about how cool and "unique" they are, I have no choice but to go against the main stream.

So in the game of proving how "cool" you are based on how you look, I'll take your man skirt and raise you about 300 hours of tattoo work which includes two full sleeves, back, neck, and both legs:
548556986_l.jpg

So, while you can take your man skirt off and put some pants on to fit in to the "main stream", I have to wear a long sleeved, collared shirt and pants. Even then, the tattoos poke out above the collar and past the sleeves. Your skirt will last a few years, provided basic care of the garment, but archaeologists will be able find my tattoos.

In terms of who's furthest from the main stream, I clearly win. Not that I think it is a contest, frankly because I don't care and was just teasing.

Do I get any points for wearing a kilt, having tattoos and dreadlocks????

:mug:

We're all having fun folks...let's not get this moved to the debate forum.

Do I get any points for wearing a kilt, having tatoos and dreadlocks????

Only if they're the kind of really thick, hideous, 2-inch thick self-propagating dreads.

We're all having fun folks...let's not get this moved to the debate forum.

I realize tone is a bit difficult to detect online. I'm really only having fun, too.

I will eat crow. I didn't know you were teasing me or I would have teased back. I did assume based on what you were saying and I am man enough to admit that. You are indeed far from main stream and I salute you for having the balls to wear your personality and show the world. It does take a person of "more than meek" persona to not care what others think and do what you like. That is why I got slightly offended and thought you were being a jerk, lol. Oh, and it wasn't a contest ;) I'd buy you a damn beer right now and check out your ink. I have a tiny one now, but am getting the whole ankle done, far from your work but still showing my "sticking it to the man" lol. See, most of my friends I didn't like at one time and now we are pals. So... now for our regularly scheduled programming.

I will eat crow. I didn't know you were teasing me or I would have teased back. I did assume based on what you were saying and I am man enough to admit that. You are indeed far from main stream and I salute you for having the balls to wear your personality and show the world. It does take a person of "more than meek" persona to not care what others think and do what you like. That is why I got slightly offended and thought you were being a jerk, lol. Oh, and it wasn't a contest ;) I'd buy you a damn beer right now and check out your ink. I have a tiny one now, but am getting the whole ankle done, far from your work but still showing my "sticking it to the man" lol. See, most of my friends I didn't like at one time and now we are pals. So... now for our regularly scheduled programming.

:tank:
The post above is far cooler than any man skirt. ;)

And for the record, I would wear lederhosen in public. But only if I could convince my mammarily-gifted wife to wear a dirndl...

Nice kilts. I've spent the last year or so researching my Scottish roots (3 of my Grandparents were born and raised in Scotland). My Grandfather had the flaming red hair but none of his offspring, so far, have red hair. My parents went to Scotland and were going to buy me a kilt but they were just too expensive. There's a teacher here that wears a kilt once in awhile and as odd as it looks it's cool that he takes his heritage seriously. I'm of the Douglas clan. I competed in a Scottish games once and had a blast doing it. Every time I hear bagpipes it seems to resonate deep in my soul.
One of these days I'll buy a kilt and wear it.

I raise a pint to you, fellow Douglas clanner! :mug:

I wore my first Kilt (my wife made it for me) at last year's Octoberfest. My uncle and I held an Octoberfest/homebrew fest last year that was ethnic oriented. All were to dress in a costume of their enthnicity. I'm 1/2 Irish so I wore a Kilt. This years is just homebrew oriented so no dressing up.

Back