Killing airborne brett from blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radial67

Reaction score
Before I go and infect my fridge, can anyone advise on how to kill Brett that may be airbone in the blowoff bubbles if I innoculate purposefully with brett?

I figure the bubbles that reach the surface will have "some" airborne brett in it as well as normal blowoff gasses.....

thanks

Yeah, that's an interesting dilemma. I make wine so I don't have any Brett within 100 yards of my stuff. Potassium Metabisulphite is pretty effective, just not sure how to trap the brett in it after blowoff.

Before I go and infect my fridge, can anyone advise on how to kill Brett that may be airbone in the blowoff bubbles if I innoculate purposefully with brett?

I figure the bubbles that reach the surface will have "some" airborne brett in it as well as normal blowoff gasses.....

thanks

You already have airborne brett, as well as lacto, pedio, wild yeasts of various sorts unless you live in a clean room. Every piece of skin, hair, dust, fiber, etc. in your house is coated in thousands of bacteria, yeast, molds, viruses.

If you are worried about it, you could replace the air lock with a blow-off tube running into a container of sanitizer or 180 proof.

You already have airborne brett, as well as lacto, pedio, wild yeasts of various sorts unless you live in a clean room. Every piece of skin, hair, dust, fiber, etc. in your house is coated in thousands of bacteria, yeast, molds, viruses.

Yeah I understand this but obviously the concentrations will be significantly higher wont they?

processhead - Sanitizer wont do anything will it? The acidic nature of the sanitizer is right up its alley. 180proof, maybe?

Anyone done a sour side by side w C.S. yeasts in a freezer?

I should have been more specific on the sanitizer.
Iodophor solution or even mild bleach solution.

there are so many people brewing with sour bugs/yeast in the same space if cross contamination was a real problem it would be common knowledge by now. brett cannot survive star san, neither can any of the other wild yeasts or bacteria.

Back