Kill-A-Watt Brewery Build Compilation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What material is the top?

Just get some black Plexiglas and cut it to size. Dont take off the plastic guard until everything is drilled and ready to mount to maintain the surface.

Joshua

What material is the top?

Just get some black Plexiglas and cut it to size. Dont take off the plastic guard until everything is drilled and ready to mount to maintain the surface.

Joshua

The top is nyon, 1/4" thick. It is rated to handle the heat that will be present with a boiling kettle.

True, I could use a plexiglass sort of material inside.

I will think it over... who knows... too much going on now to really mess with the build this week.

Hey bud, don't even think about using a different material to mount your electronics to. You know you have a reputation to uphold now. :p;)

I dont think there is any way in hell I am spending that for shelves, to cover shelves... :p

I didnt want to do it on the top, but I needed something that would handle a wet application and heat.

The top is nyon, 1/4" thick. It is rated to handle the heat that will be present with a boiling kettle.

True, I could use a plexiglass sort of material inside.

I will think it over... who knows... too much going on now to really mess with the build this week.

You dont look very hard ;)

So, which MP3 player are you going with for the disco? And I hope it's what you ordered. :D

Ha ha no kidding, right?!

I have to say, with all of the orders and vendors I have used on this build, it has gone quite smoothly.

You dont look very hard ;)

That's what SHE said!!! :fro: And into the gutter we go...

So if you did plexi, you can mount everything and still backlight it with a neon tube with the electronics on an angle. Plus smoked or etched glass so everything only shows through while it's powered up.

You guys are so over the top... I am just trying to get a nice simple build completed... sheesh!

It may be a nice build, but I don't think it was so simple.;) I hope you don't mind us razz'in you. It's all in good fun.

Hey, I dont mind...

I like the idea of lights and mirrors and such... to a degree. I want this to be contemporary and tasteful. Not industrial (SS tube stand) and not FLASHY (mirrors, smoke machine, disco ball).

That is what I love about building these things... you can take a system (the mechanicals) and package them in so many different ways!

I am getting the upstairs of our house painted for SWMBO (new construction, still white, ya know?) SO I HOPE this means I can guilt her into leaving this thing in the house when not in use ;)

I do THINK I will tint the front glass though.

Do a version of what bendavanza suggested. Build a kitchen type pullout tray (a open top box) a little taller than a set of drawer guides. Turn it upside down so the top is the flat part. Then get a piece of stainless steel sheet and put a "L" bend in it so it will cover the top and front edge/face. Just make sure you use full extension drawer guides.

They will look like this.
5632_FullLExt_Ball_Bearing.jpg

Just get the right length for your cabinet.

Depending on how your cabinet is built with the doors, you may need to put in some fillers so the drawer guides will slide past the doors.

Hope this makes sense.

The build is looking great.

How has your toolbox grown since you started doing this? Can't imagine you just happened to have everything you need.

You might actually be surprised.

You can get far with a drill and a pair of vice-grips ;)

WRT my control box, all I got to say is thank goodness for cover plates!
Round is easy, got the hole saws. The rectangles with a dremel, not so perfect.

how are you making the connection to the house line?

Plugs?
Pigtail?
Are your heat elements to be hardwired or plugged?

If you pigtail to the house power - - - - ummm uhh I'm trying not to say "code enforcement" but there's no way 'round it.

Here in beautiful lovely beautiful down town new jersey we have some strange characters with some wild ideas.

While wiring my kitchen up I had the electrical guy in for an inspection.
He proudly informed me that had I not put the little extra loops of romex in the wire before passing the wires into and through drilled 2*4s that he'd have to fail me. I put 'em there 'cause I liked the look.
There is no code provision for such a little loop.

I asked him if that was because without the little loop the sharp angle would cause all the electrons to fly off the wire.
You had to see my face asking this.

Anyway he said "yes." Then proceeded to lecture me about the speed of light and how the electrons would go flying off the wire and be a fire hazard.
I had to bite my tongue.

So, long to short, what about that interface?
Will you expose your brew rig to a code enforcing guys whims?
If not, what will you do?

It's just a not UL listed appliance. That goes for mine, as well as I am sure 90% of the others here. Who gets their brew rig inspected?

Here in beautiful lovely beautiful down town new jersey we have some strange characters with some wild ideas.

A) Does jersey even have a "downtown" let alone a beautiful one :cross:

B) He was looking for a payout. I had to remove my in ground oil tank from my home a few years back and the inspector said the tank was cracked and I'd need EPA inspections before he could certify it as "ok" ... then suggested that I give him $3000 and he could pass it cause the crack wasn't too bad and the ground around it didn't have any signs of leakage. I paid of course as the EPA can charge up to $10,000 to clean it if they find even minor oil residue [neighbor didn't and they paid $9500 to have them dig massive trenches in their lawn and treat the dirt]

3) Most of us have a plug installed round about where we brew and just plug/unplug our rigs into it...like a dryer plug only with MORE POWER!

The BCS and temp probes arrived today...

I am out in DC today, Raleigh tomorrow... home in a couple days.

I MAY be able to get it all wired up during my time off this coming week... MAY.

Stay tuned...

How has your toolbox grown since you started doing this? Can't imagine you just happened to have everything you need.

This is my second build, so I have not needed any additional tools, no

how are you making the connection to the house line?

Plugs?
Pigtail?
Just like my old rig, cord to the rig, plugged into a 50A outlet in the garage.
Are your heat elements to be hardwired or plugged?
"Hard" wired... no need to have plugs on them

If you pigtail to the house power - - - - ummm uhh I'm trying not to say "code enforcement" but there's no way 'round it.

While wiring my kitchen up I had the electrical guy in for an inspection.
He proudly informed me that had I not put the little extra loops of romex in the wire before passing the wires into and through drilled 2*4s that he'd have to fail me. I put 'em there 'cause I liked the look.
There is no code provision for such a little loop.

I asked him if that was because without the little loop the sharp angle would cause all the electrons to fly off the wire.
You had to see my face asking this.

Anyway he said "yes." Then proceeded to lecture me about the speed of light and how the electrons would go flying off the wire and be a fire hazard.
I had to bite my tongue.

I dont think anyone will be inspecting my rig for "code" violations...

Do a version of what bendavanza suggested. Build a kitchen type pullout tray (a open top box) a little taller than a set of drawer guides. Turn it upside down so the top is the flat part. Then get a piece of stainless steel sheet and put a "L" bend in it so it will cover the top and front edge/face. Just make sure you use full extension drawer guides.

They will look like this.
5632_FullLExt_Ball_Bearing.jpg

Just get the right length for your cabinet.

Depending on how your cabinet is built with the doors, you may need to put in some fillers so the drawer guides will slide past the doors.

Hope this makes sense.

The build is looking great.

I dont see a need to have the components roll in and out... it isnt like I will be accessing the electronic and mechanical bays regularly. I never opened my panel on my old rig after I built it, I dont see why I would need to make the bays on this any more accessible than they already are.

Pumps, SSRs, Elements etc... just dont fail that often, I have never had one fail yet.

A) Does jersey even have a "downtown" let alone a beautiful one :cross:

lol. Don't blame me I'm just a transplant.
Call me an illegal alien and ship my ass back to North Carolina.
Oh dam~!! All the Joisy folks went there to retire.
There's no escape~!!!

B) He was looking for a payout.
Half the state is on the take.
The other half is paying it

3) Most of us have a plug installed round about where we brew and just plug/unplug our rigs into it...like a dryer plug only with MORE POWER!
How many watts can you draw through a plug before it starts getting warm?

It's just a not UL listed appliance. That goes for mine, as well as I am sure 90% of the others here. Who gets their brew rig inspected?

Yah BEEROCD, that's exactly right. And the code enforcement guy is not even qualified or entitled to evaluate such a thing anyway.
However, if you are going to pig tail it then he gets to see it sitting there and depending on whether he's the crazy type or not he may get froggy. You can litigate with those morons and win, but it'll cost ya. We have some real crazy ones.

The plug outlets, plugs, cords, are rated at 50A...

I dont think it will be a problem pulling 80% or so of that through there.

All the Joisy folks went there to retire.
There's no escape~!!!

LMAO!!! That is funny. I get to visit the great armpit of America in September. My friends are getting married in Pt. Pleasant. I will be there for a week.......Might have to track down bobby_M. I think he might be from NJ.

PS: I lived there for 6 months in 1996.

Jersey water makes better brews!

That aside I just had a nerd-gasm looking at your build...once the keezer/tap line to the bar is done this may be the next project

Ha ha thanks... it would look nice in your bar!

I'm missing something.

How have you mounted your heater elements in the BK?

It appears you used a 1" slim-line type nut inside the BK with an orange/red-ish seal (silicone I'm guessing) plus the factory supplied element seal on the outside?

Are you using some kind of cover for each of the elements?
I see the elements entering from the rear of the BK.

I'm missing something.

How have you mounted your heater elements in the BK?

It appears you used a 1" slim-line type nut inside the BK with an orange/red-ish seal (silicone I'm guessing) plus the factory supplied element seal on the outside?

Exactly, that is how they are mounted

Are you using some kind of cover for each of the elements?
I see the elements entering from the rear of the BK.

I am using the same electrical potting that I used on my previous build. PVC slip coupler around the end of the element, then potted with epoxy to protect and insulate the connections.

Much of this goes back to my E HERMS

OK, to restate the question, in more direct terms. For the jury. How many tools, in your possession, are beer related acquisitions? Remember you are under oath....

*unless your wife reads this forum too.... :drunk:

OK, to restate the question, in more direct terms. For the jury. How many tools, in your possession, are beer related acquisitions? Remember you are under oath....

*unless your wife reads this forum too.... :drunk:

I have a three tier Craftsman rolling tool chest, Id say 1/2 of the tools in it were bought over the years for brew rig fabrication. :mug:

Back