Kill-A-Watt Brewery Build Compilation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried your local plumbing supply shop? Maybe call up a local plumber and ask them where they buy their stuff. I'm planning on getting all the parts for my build-out at a local shop so I can dry fit everything together right there. If they don't have the element I need I will have them order it for me.

I can order it locally, no one seems to stock it, but I wouldnt think they would carry this specific model necessarily. No problems getting the element, but it is fishy that Amazon is having this issue, and the seller is trying to push it off on Amazon in my case, and in others.

That is a good point, they do not get shipped with that either, for those who have not set these up before, that is important.
My heat sink from Auberin came with a small tube of the grease along with the mounting hardware for the SSR. Unless you were just talking specifically of another vendor that I missed.

Well, the full SSR compliment is in:
P1030729.JPG
Good god. :mug:

My heat sink from Auberin came with a small tube of the grease along with the mounting hardware for the SSR. Unless you were just talking specifically of another vendor that I missed.

Good god. :mug:

Yeah, this was another vendor. I got the SSR+Heatsink for $16 shipped, so I can eat the $.80 per SSR for nice metric socket head cap screws.

I think ace hardware elements are camco as well. Thats what I remember seeing stamped on the base at least.

I think ace hardware elements are camco as well. Thats what I remember seeing stamped on the base at least.

Yah I think so too. I was in my ACE looking at Flange type low watts and they were chromed (or nickel) plated with one fold . Didn't notice the manufacturer, cheap tho' $13. each.

Picked up a Camco for $11 and a few various items needed to complete the build. In a couple weeks I should be able to have it all wired up... I hope.

Picked up a Camco for $11 and a few various items needed to complete the build. In a couple weeks I should be able to have it all wired up... I hope.

I am excited looking forward to it.

I like the change of your picture to the left as well. Now ever time I see any post from you I start day dreaming about how glorious this build is...

I am excited looking forward to it.

I like the change of your picture to the left as well. Now ever time I see any post from you I start day dreaming about how glorious this build is...

Ha ha, that is funny :)

There is SO much room in the electronics bay of this thing, I am really looking forward to wiring it and not bleeding all over like on my last build.

Ha ha, that is funny :)

There is SO much room in the electronics bay of this thing, I am really looking forward to wiring it and not bleeding all over like on my last build.

Funny you say that. I built a pasta machine barley crusher this weekend. Well I was taking video of me running it with my drill. When I get it on my computer to review it, I notice something in the rollers. I go back to the garage and realize what I was seeing was my blood spinning around on the roller.

It never fails. You are going to bleed.

A couple more photos, starting to lay out the bays...

P1030732.JPG

P1030730.JPG

Pol- I am not sure if you are using another panel inside the cabinet, but if you are laying it out similar to as shown...

I am using double sided foam core tape to fix my components in place in my build. It is super tough and allows for placement without detailed hole drilling. I just thought I would pass on the idea.

If this is against some random code let me know... although I reserve the right to ignore you. :D

I think you need to purchase a roll of limo tint. Darken up the glass up front. Not too dark so you can still see into it a bit.

I have been contemplating ways to darken the glass, I dont want it clear... no

Pol- I am not sure if you are using another panel inside the cabinet, but if you are laying it out similar to as shown...

I am using double sided foam core tape to fix my components in place in my build. It is super tough and allows for placement without detailed hole drilling. I just thought I would pass on the idea.

If this is against some random code let me know... although I reserve the right to ignore you. :D

That is cool, but will I have a mess if I need to pull out a component? I see what you are saying, and like the simplicity, but I wonder what it would mean to me down the road.

Is it really worth it to spend as much on thermal grease as you did on the SSR? That doesn't pass the smell test for me. I have always used silicon based thermal grease and have never had a problem. Brewing and engineering applications included.

Your nose is correct Bk. The watt density of an SSR is no where even near the realm of a modern <90nm microprocessor (which is around the same heat density of the surface of the sun!!). The normal, white, Si based grease is just fine.

Way to hold that company to their false advertisement Pol!

Your nose is correct Bk. The watt density of an SSR is no where even near the realm of a modern <90nm microprocessor (which is around the same heat density of the surface of the sun!!). The normal, white, Si based grease is just fine.

Way to hold that company to their false advertisement Pol!

The thing that sucks is that someone else here from HBT has become a victim too. Luckily I got refunded, so he should too. I told "BuyPlumbing" that if it is an issue of Amazon linking the wrong products to the wrong seller, that they need to get that rectified ASAP because this is unwanted attention.

The thing that sucks is that someone else here from HBT has become a victim too. Luckily I got refunded, so he should too. I told "BuyPlumbing" that if it is an issue of Amazon linking the wrong products to the wrong seller, that they need to get that rectified ASAP because this is unwanted attention.

Did he mention anything about a bridge? Doesn't pass the smell test.

Did he mention anything about a bridge? Doesn't pass the smell test.

The weird thing is that on the item page, it sayes the seller is Toolbox Supply.... then AFTER you buy it, it shows the seller as Buy Plumbing in the cart. Something is off.

This seller has numerous feedback comments where they purchased one thing from Amazon, and recieved another.

Right now, all is right with the world though, every itty bitty part is either here or ordered (boxes of parts laying around). Makes me feel good knowing the hard part is over (purchasing)

Pol, I'm guessing you did some research on the new Camco vendor; mind telling a fellow victim your new source?

Pol, I'm guessing you did some research on the new Camco vendor; mind telling a fellow victim your new source?

Yup, here they are. http://www.thegreathardwarestore.com/ I got a bunch of stuff there, good pricing, fair shipping. The shipping is aggregate, so if you buy an element, you can throw in a boat load of other things and pay about $1 more in shipping... FWIW, that is what I did. Saved me a trip to Lowes.

Did you get a refund worked out yet? Mine has been posted already.

I have been contemplating ways to darken the glass, I dont want it clear... no

Maybe etched glass? Go crazy with a hop vine design or something. Either sandblasted or acid etched would be cool.

If you want to go less expensive, they sell a film to give a glazed look that's pretty easy to apply. You could cut out designs with an x-acto knife maybe. It might look like crap, but it might look good. You're only out a few bucks if it sucks.

Maybe etched glass? Go crazy with a hop vine design or something. Either sandblasted or acid etched would be cool.

If you want to go less expensive, they sell a film to give a glazed look that's pretty easy to apply. You could cut out designs with an x-acto knife maybe. It might look like crap, but it might look good. You're only out a few bucks if it sucks.

Limo black car tint :drunk:

Actually they haven't been delivered yet, so I figured I should give them the benefit of the doubt. However, the vendor on my invoice is BendoverPlumbing so I figure it's a matter of time that I need to order from someone else.

Actually they haven't been delivered yet, so I figured I should give them the benefit of the doubt. However, the vendor on my invoice is BendoverPlumbing so I figure it's a matter of time that I need to order from someone else.

FYI, when I talked to them today, they told me that they dont even carry CAMCO... so Id be interested if you get CAMCOs from them.

I'll be sure to relay my experience. On a better note; six 40A SSRs, 24' of 1/2" SS tube, DC switches and some tri-clovers arrived today. Believe it or not, it's exactly what I ordered.

If this isn't a joke it sure is a tip off.:D

OK. Google shows a Ben Dover Plumbing, not a Bend Over Plumbing..... my bad.

If this isn't a joke it sure is a tip off.:D

OK. Google shows a Ben Dover Plumbing, not a Bend Over Plumbing..... my bad.

Nah, that was a lame attempt at a joke. (that's awesome you actually found a company with that name) The company name is BuyPlumbing.net and they sold The Pol imposter goods and I'm soon to be a resipient.

Nah, that was a lame attempt at a joke. (that's awesome you actually found a company with that name) The company name is BuyPlumbing.net and they sold The Pol imposter goods and I'm soon to be a resipient.

I'm a little slow. Went to a place tonight to sample a places wares so ended up drinking too many. :cross: Had I been thinking I'd have gone back in the thread and looked.

That is cool, but will I have a mess if I need to pull out a component? I see what you are saying, and like the simplicity, but I wonder what it would mean to me down the road.

I think it will come off if you pull hard. The stuff I got is 3M brand from Home Depot. It isn't some crazy industrial grade or something, so I think you could remove it if you wanted to. No guarantees though. I am sure adhesive remover would take care of any residue, but the wood finish may suffer if it came to that.

The pumps, I doubt will ever have to come out...

The heatsinks... doubt it, I mean why? The SSRs are removeable from the heatsinks of one bites the dust.

You may be on to something BK...

Would this "cheapen" my build? OR would this be a thoughtful assembly feature?

I mean, I would really prefer NOT to have to drill all those holes in the wooden structure... you have me thinking. It will be a week or so before I have ALL of the electrical here to really lay it out and start to assemble.

Why not mount everything to a seperate base board of the same wood/stain? It could slide into the bay, sit flush, be easily removable/modifiable, and you won't have to put holes in that nice piece of furniture.

Or you could mount everything on a sheet of the same material that you used for the top. Do both sides and it would even provide a little bit of moisture resistance around the pumps that the wood could not offer.

It would look clean and professional, and have the added bonus of coming out of the structure for modification or access for maintenance.

Or you could mount everything on a sheet of the same material that you used for the top. Do both sides and it would even provide a little bit of moisture resistance around the pumps that the wood could not offer.

It would look clean and professional, and have the added bonus of coming out of the structure for modification or access for maintenance.

Yah, true... the top was $150 alone :D

Back