kids helping me brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure they're right - we're all going to rot in you-know-where. And now our damaged kids are going to turn out to be versed in rudimentary science, will ask questions, will have spent a pleasant time with a family member as a 'helper', and will likely learn about moderation in all things in life including alcohol consumption. Too bad - now they won't be narrow-minded, short-sighted, dull-witted, fear-mongers.

Poor them. (Take the 'poor them' to mean whomsoever you wish!)

B

They told me I should do something girls like to do. The first thing I though of was that she not in to tea partys, I think she has yeast in her blood. She like to brew with me and bake bread with my dad.

I must be a terrible mother, according to your coworkers! I've taken my (now grown) kids hunting, fishing, hiking, kayaking, canoeing, scuba diving, snorkeling, and camping. Not very "girl like" activities! Now my daughter is out ice-fishing with HER son, and has a great love of the outdoors.

People always criticize things they don't understand. "Beer is bad! Let your kids pay a drunk at the store to get their beer, the way we had to do!"

I'd rather have my kids with me doing activities- just about any activity- then playing shoot 'em up video games and sitting in from of the TV.

I also have shown my kids moderation in all things- food, drink, church, play, work, etc. Putting anything "off limits" just makes it more attractive.

I have a funny story that totally disgusted some anti-drinking folks from down the street.

We were having a house party and as the evening was getting later my boy was getting ready for bed, running about in his diaper. He was probably 2 at the time. He gave me a kiss good night and instinctively I handed him my empty glass and asked him to draw me one before he went to bed. Off he runs, sets the glass on the bar, runs into the kitchen, gets his step, sets it in front of the tap, draws me a perfect pour (you could hear him say 'tilt the glass', climbs down, hands it to me and runs off to momma and bed. I turn to see nothing but shocked faces.

Your co-workers just don't understand, like Yooper said, and instead of feeling anger at them, I just feel sorry.

Making beer has a lot of teaching opportunities for kids.

You can teach them about safety when boiling with propane.

Teach them math when explaining the amounts for each ingredient.

Teach them science when explaining how the little bugs (yeast) will make the syrup to convert to beer - This particular part fascinates them!

Teach them quality of life when showing that any physical activity is better them watching TV or play videogames

And finally teach them discipline when explaining why the final product is reserved for grown-ups.

It's a wonder.

I have a funny story that totally disgusted some anti-drinking folks from down the street.

We were having a house party and as the evening was getting later my boy was getting ready for bed, running about in his diaper. He was probably 2 at the time. He gave me a kiss good night and instinctively I handed him my empty glass and asked him to draw me one before he went to bed. Off he runs, sets the glass on the bar, runs into the kitchen, gets his step, sets it in front of the tap, draws me a perfect pour (you could hear him say 'tilt the glass', climbs down, hands it to me and runs off to momma and bed. I turn to see nothing but shocked faces.

I see nothing wrong with that, he was pouring, not drinking. on a side note, the best bartender I know doesnt drink a drop, nor has he ever drank a drop, his father owned the bar so he worked there to help out. that man can make a wicked cocktail or pull a perfect pint!

My son bought me some bottle caps at our LHBS for christmas with his own money out of his own wallet. Later he helped me by placing the caps on the beers before I sealed em up, and even now when ever I get one out of the fridge with the silver caps (the ones he bought) he gets VERY excited to see Daddy enjoying and partaking in his Christmas gift.
Very cool. I can definitely see my boy buying little brewing related gifts like this for me. Sure beat a neck-tie!

My 8-year old daughter was at church school. They were making bread as a project before First Communion. The teacher tells us she was asking some very intelligent questions, then says: "those are the same ingredients in beer! I help my dad make it!" the teachers were impressed with her knowledge, as well as amused.

I'm proud.
Very impressed...with the church people! Glad to see they were amused.

My parents raised me that alcohol is no big deal, and that if I wanted to drink it, home was a safe place to do it. I was never much for the taste until after college when I tasted my first craft brews.

I guess being told i could have it made it less taboo or something? And who doesn't appreciate something more when they've helped make it themselves.
This is my exact thought too. I'm sure people in my family worry about my son growing up with a bar downstairs and beer being made in the garage, but when he is older and sees beer or goes to a bar, it won't be a big deal. Just another day just like every other for as long as he can possibly remember.

haha I can totally picture my son doing this. Especially the "runs into the kitchen, gets his step, sets it in front of the tap, draws me a perfect pour (you could hear him say 'tilt the glass)" part. I would be afraid he'd be pouring pints left and right though when I wasn't looking.

I love this thread and what it's turned into. I love reading all these stories about time spent with your little ones. I may be a little sensitive to such topics due to recent circumstances, but it just puts a big smile on my face to read these. :mug:

One of my homebrew buds had a party last september. My daughter (again, 2) disappeared into the house to emerge with her own little cup of homebrewed Oktoberfest. I caught her just in time to hear laughter from the kegerator room. Apparently, she knew it was a switch, not a valve - no foam, perfect little pour just like she may or may not get at home (~1 oz). I got a lot of high 5s from the guys that witnessed it.

When she's big enough, we'll be shooting and riding dirt bikes together. My wife always jokes that I'll never get a son. I say I don't care.

Mine helps me brew on the weekends too, theres nothing wrong with it. To each their own I guess.

My two-year old daughter loves to be in the kitchen whenever Daddy's working in there, be it cooking dinner or making beer. She ever tries to help with clean-up.

If she shows an interest in helping me when she gets older and asks questions, I'll be more then happy to teach her the science behind how beer is made. Anything to keep her from watching nothing but TV all day. We don't even watch it for more then two hours a day or so ourselves!

IrregularPulse said:
Your coworkers are wrong. You're spending quality time with your daughter teaching her something about science, doing things for yourself and that there's more enjoyment in life than electronics. Their kids are playing video games and watching TV.
Besides, just tell them she doesn't help make beer, she helps make wort, you would never let her near it post chill and yeast pitching time. :D

I hear ya brotha!!! For sure, if you can get them off the couch get them off the couch and away from all the other crap that will corrupt them!! Besides it's always nice to have that extra hand:)

My daughter(8) has been helping for years. She is in charge of the hop scale and will measure out the hops, and reseal the bags she also likes to stir up the grist in the
dehydrator and use a coffee mill to make flour

My parents raised me that alcohol is no big deal, and that if I wanted to drink it, home was a safe place to do it. I was never much for the taste until after college when I tasted my first craft brews.

This is my exact thought too. I'm sure people in my family worry about my son growing up with a bar downstairs and beer being made in the garage, but when he is older and sees beer or goes to a bar, it won't be a big deal. Just another day just like every other for as long as he can possibly remember.

Exactly. Same with me. Alcohol was never a big deal when I grew up. I remember my teen years when some of my friends were always drinking in secret and would always get very drunk. I thought it was ridiculous and always wondered why they were doing that. Now I know... It was that sense of forbidden and repression that served as stimulus for them to get drunk whenever they had a chance.

Was talken about brewing at work, and I said the my 3 year old likes to help me (throw pellets in, etc.). They told me that it was wrong to have her help make "BEER". Is it, she has fun and I make her wash her hand. I don't think its wrong any of you.

Maybe your coworkers should STFU. Father/daughter or father/son brewing sounds like a great idea to me. It's quality time, learning about science & just plain cool. Regards, GF.

I brew with both my kids (2 and 5), at least in the spring through fall time. It's a touch cold now though. There's alot of math that goes into it, and my 5 year old daughter has gotten pretty decent at addition, subtraction, and basic division and multiplication from helping me get out mash and sparge water, measuring ingredients, and keeping track fo time.

It's a normal father/kids activity on Saturday mornings while Mom sleeps. I guess if I set them in front of the TV all morning, some people might think that was better, but not me.

While I agree that kids should be spending quality time with us helping to brew, a lot of the posts ASSUME that the co-workers are lousy parents and let their kids sit around playing video games and whatnot. The FACT is, you just don't know. Maybe they wouldn't let their kids brew beer, because THEY think it's a bad thing, but that doesn't mean that they aren't playing sports with them, hunting, working around the house, etc.

Don't assume that just because they don't agree with the brewing part, that they have a poor relationship with their kids. Many people know mean drunks and possibly had a bad experience growing up with one. That is much more than enough to give them a bad feeling about alcohol in general. Why not invite them over on brewday so they can see how much fun it is, and how innocent the actual brewing process really is (or can be...)

While I agree that kids should be spending quality time with us helping to brew, a lot of the posts ASSUME that the co-workers are lousy parents and let their kids sit around playing video games and whatnot. The FACT is, you just don't know. Maybe they wouldn't let their kids brew beer, because THEY think it's a bad thing, but that doesn't mean that they aren't playing sports with them, hunting, working around the house, etc.

Don't assume that just because they don't agree with the brewing part, that they have a poor relationship with their kids. Many people know mean drunks and possibly had a bad experience growing up with one. That is much more than enough to give them a bad feeling about alcohol in general. Why not invite them over on brewday so they can see how much fun it is, and how innocent the actual brewing process really is (or can be...)

You are right, but despite of what they (co-workers) do with their kids, making their colleague feel bad (OP) because of his kids helping him with brewing was pathetic. It shows at least some level of ignorance.

You are right, but despite of what they (co-workers) do with their kids, making their colleague feel bad (OP) because of his kids helping him with brewing was pathetic. It shows at least some level of ignorance.

No, that's just standard human behaviour. Everyone thinks they know better than others about things. Happens all of time when mentioning religion, politics, breastfeeding, diet, numerology, Jersey Shore... The list goes on and on.

I'm not saying it's any of their business, or they are right, I'm just saying that it's to be expected. I tell my coworkers all the time that my kid helps me brew, and usually they just say it sounds like quality time with dad, but sometimes you get a little look. It happens.

No, that's just standard human behaviour. Everyone thinks they know better than others about things. Happens all of time when mentioning religion, politics, breastfeeding, diet, numerology, Jersey Shore... The list goes on and on.

I'm not saying it's any of their business, or they are right, I'm just saying that it's to be expected. I tell my coworkers all the time that my kid helps me brew, and usually they just say it sounds like quality time with dad, but sometimes you get a little look. It happens.

I do wonder if you are the co-worker... :D Just kidding...

My three year old boy is fascinated with my brewing. I have to put my brewing gear up high so that he can't reach it. He loves to help me wash bottles and watch the wort foam up when I throw in my whirfloc.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with it at all. People who do see alcohol only as something to get you drunk. Not something to appreciate and enjoy, and appreciate the effort that goes into it. I really hope to teach my son (when he's a bit older) all about brewing. That way when he gets older he will understand that beer is something to respect and appreciate instead of being a moron and doing keg stands and beer bongs just to get drunk.

SWMBO & my daughter bought me my starter kit for Father's Day when she was 3, so it is only natural that she should help me. She is now 8 and extremely into science and loves to help me whenever I brew. There is certainly nothing wrong it at all. She does things like stir the mash, measure hops, pitch yeast, helps during bottling and when we lived in NY, helped with harvesting hops.

What is she learning from this? She is learning science, horticulture, self sufficiency, that positive male interaction is the norm and what responsible alcohol use looks like. None of this seems damaging to me.

When she was in 2nd grade, they had an ongoing assignment called writer's workshop where they would draw a picture and write a short story about it. One day she came home with several of them and as SWMBO looked through them, she came upon one titled I Help My Dad Brew Beer! There was a picture of her and I on our deck with my kettle on the burner. She talked about helping me brew and how proud she felt that she could. Also, she said that she olny did the safe stuff! SWMBO was mortified at first thinking that the teacher would call CPS on us! In fact, her teacher was kind of tickled by it.

I've got 3 boys who fight over who gets to mill the grain, throw hops in and pitch the yeast. My oldest boy wants to help bottle, especially now that I have a bench capper. The other 2, twins, always loved hearing the noises the fermenter made. My daughter, the oldest, has since retired from the brewery to make room for the boys, but works on label design.

7 pages of similar, I'm sure, but here goes anyway: they're clowns!
My son has helped me with my winemaking for well over a year, and is already looking forward to helping me with my beer efforts, too - he's 9.

Hell, another place/time, EVERY child would know how to ferment beer and/or wine - they'd be drinking it, too.

You have nothing to worry about.

In much of France I know it's common for many kids to get a watered down glass of wine with Sunday dinners. I wouldn't water beer down like that, but the post about the girl pouring herself 1oz from the tap is adorable... it's harmless, probably even healthy for their development towards a mature, moderate drinker, and all the science lessons and whatnot wouldn't be complete without being able to experience the result.

I'm chuckling a bit imagining a parti-gyle with an already low grav beer and using it for special occasions, a more interesting take on the French thing, but in reality I know I'd personally rather have a sip of great beer than a pint of slightly beer-tasting water.

This is exactly why the only advice I give to new parents is, "just remember, people have been raising kids since the beginning of time. You'll be fine, trust your instincts." This is usually so contrary to what everyone else tells them, and usually get a smile out of it.

I remember being a new parent and everyone gives their opinion of how to raise a kid, even if they aren't even parents themselves! Every little freakin' detail. It used to drive me up a wall. I even got baby advice from my mom, who was too busy partying (read: drugs) until I was 8 to really experience anything.

I'll chime in too. My kids love to help out until it gets "stinky" - right after the hops go in. They just want to spend time with me doing something I enjoy. My kids are 9,7 and 7 and as far as I'm concerned the day will come all too soon when they won't want to hang with me at all so I enjoy it while I can.

I also let them sample my beer when I'm drinking. Only a sip or two but I feel it takes away the "taboo" about the whole thing. I don't want them to feel like beer is a bad or forbidden thing.

Cheers!
K

We are having a daughter in March and I can't wait to teach her how to make beer.
I don't see anything wrong with it. Spending quality time and teaching your kids anything is time well spent.

When your 15 year old daughter is "rebelling" with her boyfriend getting together enough stuff to make beer, there's are going to be in the backseat of a 2010 Camaro "rebelling". :D

I was always amazed to meet the parents of the wild kids in high school. They were all prudes. Us 'normaler' kids always had very cool parents. I helped dad make wine from the time I could walk till well into high school.

Wow, you're a better man than me if you were able to bite your tongue. So long as it wasn't my supervisor, I'd have told them to shut the eff up! I have little to no patience when people decide to look down their noses at me. I don't give a damn about what they think, but once they say it out loud, I'm ready to let them know where they can stick their unwanted thoughts on my parenting abilities.

My daughter was under 2 weeks old when we did a daddy daughter shopping trip. Fleet farm for pistol ammo and then to the brew store. The owner was excited to see the little kid. There have been several times where she watched her while I shopped. My wife was as we were out of the house. As she got older, she could sit in the stroller while I heated mash water, ground grains and mashed in. By 14 months she was pulling empty bottles out of the case for me to load in the dishwasher.

I know I am spending time with my kid, and that is what she will remember. She will understand that alcohol is OK in moderation. She will learn about cleaning, science, math, colors, etc.

Back