Bad advise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMV

Reaction score
My 45 year old daughter ask for a beer brewing starter kit for her birthday! I was more than happy to comply. She lives in Canada in the Ottawa area. I found a brew shop and told her to call me when she got to the store. I purchased a starter kit with almost everything she needed. I told her to use one of her large pots to boil her wort. The sales guy told her that there was no need to boil the wort since it was sterilized in the can. He said that there was no reason to boil. For 40+ years I have boiled. Most times for an hour while adding hops. Has anyone tried just dumping the can malt in a fermenter adding yeast, water and letting it ferment?

I've stopped boiling LME. I hold it at 160-170 for about 10 minutes and call it good. I won't just dump it into a fermenter, but I don't use canned, either.

When I did an extract batch, I boiled the hops as normal and then added the liquid malt extract at flameout. It's thick and it mixes in easier when heated, and meanwhile won't burn at the bottom if you pour it in with the flame on.

You could probably dump it into the fermenter, but it will sit at the bottom like a huge load of belgian candi syrup. I'm not sure how the yeast would react to such a high concentration of sugars at the bottom.

I thought boiling was needed to properly account for the bittering of the wort since most of the isomerization tables for hops assume the boiling point of water with corrections for lower temps due to altitude.

This is more a question due to the other responses than it is a answer for the OP.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back