Key Lime Margarita Sour recipe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leedspointbrew

Brewing out in left field, with golf clubs
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife REALLY likes this particular sour formulated by Evil Genius, Phila PA. I cut the sixpack holder apart to get the "recipe" shown in the pic below.
Malt : Acidulated, Pale, Wheat
Hops : Pahto
It mentions a "hybrid sour yeast " - I figured I would try Philly Sour. "...then dosed with natural margaritas flavor."
So I'm trying to fill in the blanks here - malt ratios of Acidulated / Pale / Wheat, Pahto hop schedule, & what might constitute "natural margarita flavor."
Anyone's opinion sufficiently interested to offer one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and cheers!

SmartSelect_20220901-192421_Gallery.jpg

I've made a "Key Lime Pie Sour" a while back. It was a really good beer. "Natural Margarita Flavor" sounds like an extract of some sort. I didn't do that. I did add L. Plantarum and some Goodbelly to co-sour with US-05. The grist was 7.5 lbs 2-row, 3 lbs white wheat malt, 1 lb of Victory malt, 1 lb of lactose, and 3 oz of Acidulated. I also added 14oz of Graham Crackers to the mash.

I bought a dozen Key Limes (I live in S. Florida so that's easy), zested them and made a tincture from the zest with 2oz of vodka. I added the lime juice from the zested limes at the tail end of fermentation. The tincture with a 2oz Azacca dry hop was added at 3 days prior to kegging. Zesting key limes is a pain in the ass, they are very small :).

My notes tell me that the only thing I would change was to increase the amount of Graham Crackers (double it to 28 oz, they come in 14 oz packages). But that was to give the "pie" flavor. I hope this helps...Cheers!

I've made a "Key Lime Pie Sour" a while back. It was a really good beer. "Natural Margarita Flavor" sounds like an extract of some sort. I didn't do that. I did add L. Plantarum and some Goodbelly to co-sour with US-05. The grist was 7.5 lbs 2-row, 3 lbs white wheat malt, 1 lb of Victory malt, 1 lb of lactose, and 3 oz of Acidulated. I also added 14oz of Graham Crackers to the mash.

I bought a dozen Key Limes (I live in S. Florida so that's easy), zested them and made a tincture from the zest with 2oz of vodka. I added the lime juice from the zested limes at the tail end of fermentation. The tincture with a 2oz Azacca dry hop was added at 3 days prior to kegging. Zesting key limes is a pain in the ass, they are very small :).

My notes tell me that the only thing I would change was to increase the amount of Graham Crackers (double it to 28 oz, they come in 14 oz packages). But that was to give the "pie" flavor. I hope this helps...Cheers!
Recipe, please!

I've had Key Lime Pie sour ale on my "to brew" list for some time. I've got a 2 oz bottle of Graham Cracker flavoring extract, plus zested/extracted a bag of Key Limes and froze it over a year ago. I also have a bottle of Nellie & Joe's authentic Key Lime juice concentrate waiting to be used.

On a side note, I brewed a Key Lime cider last Spring after my wife fell in love with a Key Lime cider she'd tried at 3 Daughters Brewing in St. Petersburg, FL. We've been gone much of the late Spring and Summer this year so the cider just sat in the kegerator until recently. We had a family get-together over the past holiday weekend, and it was a surprise success. Everybody loved it, and we kicked the 2/3rds full keg.

@Brooothru The grist is already above. The only thing missing is that I co-sour with 6 L. planetarium capsules and 4 shots of mango GoodBelly. So no hops in the wort initially.

Some process notes; only 30 min boil. After 2 days I added the lime juice from the 1lb of Key Limes (which was 24 tiny limes). On day 5 sample was 1.022 (OG 1.068), so I added a hop tea with 1oz of Magnum boiled for an hour and a 2oz Azacca dry hop. I also added 2oz of home-made Vanilla tincture and the tincture I made with the lime zest. Kegged and force-cared. That's it! Cheers! Rick

@Brooothru The grist is already above. The only thing missing is that I co-sour with 6 L. planetarium capsules and 4 shots of mango GoodBelly. So no hops in the wort initially.

Some process notes; only 30 min boil. After 2 days I added the lime juice from the 1lb of Key Limes (which was 24 tiny limes). On day 5 sample was 1.022 (OG 1.068), so I added a hop tea with 1oz of Magnum boiled for an hour and a 2oz Azacca dry hop. I also added 2oz of home-made Vanilla tincture and the tincture I made with the lime zest. Kegged and force-cared. That's it! Cheers! Rick
Got it. Looks great. I'm looking to ferment with Philly Sour (Lallemand). Your vanilla tincture is a neat addition I hadn't thought about. Thanks for the process instructions and target numbers.

Back