Philly sour is awesome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11thStBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had a go with Philly Sour. Very impressed.

This is a no frills kind of recipe that I came up with. At 7% ABV it has some body, but is still very refreshing.

3 gallon batch
1.058 OG
55% pale 2 row
40% white wheat malt
5% dextrose
7IBU Citra

Mashed at 148F for 60 min.
30 minute boil.

I added 1ml of lactic acid in the mash and it got it down to 5.3.

1pkg Philly sour
Pitched @74f
74f for 4 days
Added 3lb mango puree
Upped to 75. Not sure if that makes a difference. Was very active after adding the puree.

Seemed to be done at 8 days. Took a sample. 1.005 FG and tasted great.
24 hours later I took another sample. 1.005 again. The sample had no yeasty, hot alcohol or other green flavors at this point.

Day 9 I chilled to 36F and set the gas to 50psi.

12 hours later I purged the keg and brought it down to serving pressure (12psi). Maybe like 20 minutes later I tried a little sample. It was about 80% carbed.

It's very tasty. On par with some commercia fruited sours I've had. It's not super sour, but it's balanced. PH meter says 3.4. maybe I'll up the dextrose a bit more next time. Was thinking about experimenting with some lactic acid in the glass, too. Maybe next weekend.

At ~7% ABV and not quite mouth puckering it's dangerously drinkable. I don't taste any alcohol notes at all, really. Only in the belly.
Mango flavor is awesome @1lb/g.

I'll update this thread after it's had a chance to cold condition for awhile. I'd recommend trying it if you haven't yet.

Attachments

• 7989FCA7-AC01-4D6D-86D5-7F125A7DBB9F.jpeg
    7989FCA7-AC01-4D6D-86D5-7F125A7DBB9F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back