Kettle False Bottom with All Pellets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm jumping in pretty late on this thread but you guys have some great ideas, I like the screen tube that seems to have potential. Here's what I'm thinking I have a false bottom in my kettle but to keep it from cloging you need a filter bed. So my plan is to make a filter bed by attaching S/S scrubbies to it. The scrubbies are cheap enough 2 for $1 at the dollar store. Pro's Con's What do you think?

Hammer One,
I had been using a scrubbie, but not with a false bottom at the same time. Will a false bottom stop some of the pellet hops? I'm thinking a big hop bill will clog a scrubbie based on my experience this weekend with a 9oz of pellet hops.

I'm thinking the best solution for pellet hops is to use something like a 'hop stopper' screen with more surface area, perhaps with some form of internal frame to support it in a cone or pyramid shape.
Brent

I havn't tried this out yet, but from all the people that I've talked to for the false bottom to work and not clog you need a filter bed and to get that you need to add a few oz of whole hops. I was thinking that the scrubbies would take the place of the whole hops.

A false bottom should not need an additional screen or filter bed when used in a boil kettle. I've never had the FB plug up with either whole or pellet hops. When using pellet hops alone, I didn't use any kind of a screen, scrubbie or FB. I just did a whirlpool at the end of boil and opened the valve to drain. The vast majority of the trub, break and hop debris was left in a pile in the center of the kettle bottom. Very little of this stuff left the kettle. Leaf hops required a pickup tube and scrubbie to hold them back and keep them out of the outlet port/valve.

I use all pellet hops and immersion chill, and I have tried a number of different methods of getting the beer out of my keggle. I have tried several types of false bottoms, fine screen collanders, and hose braids. I have gone back to a big siphon because I could never get anything to work 100% of the time.

I'm also having this problem with my keggle! I've used dual SS braid and it just clogs right up. What I've done to reduce the sludge is create a hop mesh cylinder that I use to steep the hops. It's basically a 4" CPVC reducer with a nylon mesh attached to it with a SS round clamp. There's a pipe going across the diameter of the reducer that sits on each and of the keggle.

This reduces the HOP sludge.. Now I need to figure out how to prevent the cooled wort from clogging the SS mesh

Back