Kenmore 5 cu ft keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nopride

Reaction score
So, thanks to the many great threads here, I finally started my keezer. It's a collar keezer in a 5 cu ft freezer. It's tight, but I can fit three kegs in there. I'm starting with just two taps, with a third spot for aging. However, I never seem to have enough in the pipeline, so I think I'll be fine with two taps.

I had kid number 2 three months ago, so I haven't done a great job of documenting this. I've just chipped away at it here and there a few minutes a time, but I thought I'd throw up what I have. Hopefully I'm able to make more progress soon, as it's close!

Here's the freezer. It's a Kenmore that I got off of craigslist for $30. It was in pretty good shape, a few dings. I gave it a paint job in October while we still had some warm days.

P1010272_zps6f8b90a5.jpg

Here is the constructed collar. I used 1x10 oak for the sides. I also took a 1x8 pine board and ripped it down to 2 inch wide pieces. I used mitered edges and glue the collar together. The pine was attached to the oak boards using pocket holes. The edges were all cleaned up with a 45 degree chamfer. It was finished with minwax bombay mahogany 1 step. I like the color, but am not a fan of this stuff. It's impossible to get an even color, and sucks to work with. However, for this project, it came out well enough.

This design lets me put two layers of 1 inch thick pink insulation, but have sturdy edges where the collar meets the freezer and lid. This is the front. I haven't drilled the holes for the taps yet, but that is next.

P1010273_zps6c8df4d0.jpg

Here I am putting in the outside layer of insulation. I have also mounted the STC-1000 in the side.

P1010274_zps75558b1c.jpg

The power cord and outlet are on the back. The top will always be hot which will be used for a fan if I feel it's needed, and the bottom will be run by the STC-1000 for the freezer. I plan on drilling a hole in the outlet cover to run the power cord through.

P1010275_zps0ac4b709.jpg

The wire is run through channels in the outside layer of insulation.

P1010276_zps047df596.jpg

Here is the inside layer of insulation added. I covered the back of the STC-1000 with an electric box. I plan on sealing around the electric box with a little silicon.

P1010277_zpsf8ada385.jpg

Another view with the inside layer of insulation in. The insulation is just held in by the tight fit, so I can remove it if I need to.

P1010279_zps5f8011d8.jpg

Next step is putting in the taps. I picked up a couple of the new ventmatics. However, there is a recent thread on these where it sounds like they have problems. So, I'm anxious to get these on to see if I have the same issue.

So, thanks to the many great threads here, I finally started my keezer. It's a collar keezer in a 5 cu ft freezer. It's tight, but I can fit three kegs in there. I'm starting with just two taps, with a third spot for aging. However, I never seem to have enough in the pipeline, so I think I'll be fine with two taps.

I had kid number 2 three months ago, so I haven't done a great job of documenting this. I've just chipped away at it here and there a few minutes a time, but I thought I'd throw up what I have. Hopefully I'm able to make more progress soon, as it's close!

Here's the freezer. It's a Kenmore that I got off of craigslist for $30. It was in pretty good shape, a few dings. I gave it a paint job in October while we still had some warm days.

P1010272_zps6f8b90a5.jpg

Here is the constructed collar. I used 1x10 oak for the sides. I also took a 1x8 pine board and ripped it down to 2 inch wide pieces. I used mitered edges and glue the collar together. The pine was attached to the oak boards using pocket holes. The edges were all cleaned up with a 45 degree chamfer. It was finished with minwax bombay mahogany 1 step. I like the color, but am not a fan of this stuff. It's impossible to get an even color, and sucks to work with. However, for this project, it came out well enough.

This design lets me put two layers of 1 inch thick pink insulation, but have sturdy edges where the collar meets the freezer and lid. This is the front. I haven't drilled the holes for the taps yet, but that is next.

P1010273_zps6c8df4d0.jpg

Here I am putting in the outside layer of insulation. I have also mounted the STC-1000 in the side.

P1010274_zps75558b1c.jpg

The power cord and outlet are on the back. The top will always be hot which will be used for a fan if I feel it's needed, and the bottom will be run by the STC-1000 for the freezer. I plan on drilling a hole in the outlet cover to run the power cord through.

P1010275_zps0ac4b709.jpg

The wire is run through channels in the outside layer of insulation.

P1010276_zps047df596.jpg

Here is the inside layer of insulation added. I covered the back of the STC-1000 with an electric box. I plan on sealing around the electric box with a little silicon.

P1010277_zpsf8ada385.jpg

Another view with the inside layer of insulation in. The insulation is just held in by the tight fit, so I can remove it if I need to.

P1010279_zps5f8011d8.jpg

Next step is putting in the taps. I picked up a couple of the new ventmatics. However, there is a recent thread on these where it sounds like they have problems. So, I'm anxious to get these on to see if I have the same issue.

Does your model number start 255.19502?
I just bought a white kenmore 5 cu ft chest freezer - I'm pretty sure it's the 5 cu ft version (got it off CL) - looks small, but it did fit 2 kegs in it without a collar.

Were you able to fit 2 kegs without a collar? I'm conflicted between building a collar or just adding a tap tower - do you have any suggestions about that? My link for my build is: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=571721&page=3 any tips on the process is appreciated.

Does your model number start 255.19502?
I just bought a white kenmore 5 cu ft chest freezer - I'm pretty sure it's the 5 cu ft version (got it off CL) - looks small, but it did fit 2 kegs in it without a collar.

Were you able to fit 2 kegs without a collar? I'm conflicted between building a collar or just adding a tap tower - do you have any suggestions about that? My link for my build is: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=571721&page=3 any tips on the process is appreciated.

Hey, just checked out your thread. Looks like you have a slightly different freezer than mine. Mine has a wider hump, and I couldn't fit two kegs in there without the collar. With the collar I was able to do put three kegs, and the CO2 in there. The collar has worked well for me, and it did gain me a lot of space.

I haven't had a tower, but it seems like it would be a good way to go. You wouldn't have to build a collar, so you could get up and running quicker. You might want start with picnic taps for a few months to make sure you are comfortable with the space you have. I used picnic taps for the first 6 months and planned out my build during that time. If you are happy with the size using picnic taps, then the tower is the way to go. If it's too tight, build a collar. These size freezers definitely make things tight. If you go the tower route, put decent wheels on the bottom. You will want to open it up from time to time. Would you be able to fit the CO2 in there without a collar?

Hey, just checked out your thread. Looks like you have a slightly different freezer than mine. Mine has a wider hump, and I couldn't fit two kegs in there without the collar. With the collar I was able to do put three kegs, and the CO2 in there. The collar has worked well for me, and it did gain me a lot of space.

I haven't had a tower, but it seems like it would be a good way to go. You wouldn't have to build a collar, so you could get up and running quicker. You might want start with picnic taps for a few months to make sure you are comfortable with the space you have. I used picnic taps for the first 6 months and planned out my build during that time. If you are happy with the size using picnic taps, then the tower is the way to go. If it's too tight, build a collar. These size freezers definitely make things tight. If you go the tower route, put decent wheels on the bottom. You will want to open it up from time to time. Would you be able to fit the CO2 in there without a collar?

I haven't considered the CO2 tank, but I think I will be able to I'll get back to you after I get the tank.

Thank you for your advice!

Latest posts

Back