Keggle Mash Insulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MW66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been brewing a long time, but I'm always looking for ways to cut down my brew time, so I'm just getting into BIAB. I've used 2 keggles for my all grain setup, so going to BIAB, I was a little concerned about mash temperature loss with using the SS keggle. This was never an issue with my cooler and all grain setup and I like building stuff. Plus, I do a lot of my brews in the winter on my driveway and I live in Buffalo. So, I set off to construct a mash tun insulator for my keggle.

First, I need to get the right sized shell and this garbage can did nicely.

The garbage can fit nicely from a width perspective, but I needed to raise my keggle in the can so that it would sit flush on the ground or on my brew stand with the insulator on top. So, I glued down three pieces of PVC pipe for spacers,

Next, I flush mount a piece of 1/8" board onto the top so when I inverted it into the garbage can, it would rest on my PVC platform.

I wrapped my keggle in several wraps of wax paper to use as a pseudo mold release.

Then, I wrapped it in several sheets of foil as I intended this layer to stick to the foam. However, I first removed my spigot and my thermometer. My thermometer will be permanently removed,

I filled the bottom of the can with high expansion foam up to the top of the PVC tubes. Next, I placed the keggle centered into the can and began to build up single layers of spray foam over the next several days. At first, I made a huge mistake and emptied several cans at once, but I found the weight of the foam collapsed the foam underneath and it never cured. I had to discard my first attempt and then went to a single layer of foam followed by a minimum of an 8 hour cure between layers. After several days, it was finished and then I tried to pull my keggle out and it worked as planned. The foil stuck and the wax paper worked as a release agent.

Rough stage.

After some trimming and a lot of high temperature foil tape, this is the finished product with a cut-out for my spigot. I also had to cut out the section for the spigot handle in the off position. It may be a little hard to see in the picture, but the handle stays within the wall of the can.

Close up of the spigot. You can see that the can rests just slightly off the ground which is what I was shooting for since I wanted it with maximum coverage, but just off my burner.

Finished insulator.

I haven't done a test run yet, but I'm really happy with how it came out and it should work great. Since it will be on my burner, I plan to put on the insulator and then wrap a blanket around the bottom to cover the air gap.

Awesome idea! I just got into BIAB too and have a keggle of my own. I did one brew day and noticed how hard it was to keep the temperature for 60 mins, even wrapped in blankets. I decided to buy a hot water heater blanket and wrap my keggle in that, then tapped it up using the same type of high temperature tape you used.
Nice thing is that the insulation isnt fiber glass and its Class A fire retardant! This means that I can keep it on the burner at all times and not have to worry about my insulation bursting into flames hahaha nothing is in direct contact with the flames anyway.

Awesome idea! I just got into BIAB too and have a keggle of my own. I did one brew day and noticed how hard it was to keep the temperature for 60 mins, even wrapped in blankets. I decided to buy a hot water heater blanket and wrap my keggle in that, then tapped it up using the same type of high temperature tape you used.
Nice thing is that the insulation isnt fiber glass and its Class A fire retardant! This means that I can keep it on the burner at all times and not have to worry about my insulation bursting into flames hahaha nothing is in direct contact with the flames anyway.

I did that to my HLT and brew kettle, got it at Home depot, is R19 and one blanket will cover 3 - 15 gal pots and lids. I loose ~4* in 120 min mash.

That is a very clean solid looking item and looks a lot easier to use than my double sided foil duct wrap blanket that I bungee in place. I hate to be a nay sayer but I've got reservations on the safety aspect since you will be placing all that plastic and very flammable urethane foam on or near a hot burner. I hope it work because I really like the idea, just maybe do it outside away from the house the first few times and watch it carefully.

Point taken. I definitely don't want to be in a situation that is hazardous. I thought since the flame will certainly be off, that is should be pretty safe and it would not be in contact with the hottest part of the keggle (the bottom). I will test it outside for sure.

From Dow, the manufacturer:

GREAT STUFF (TM) Insulating Foam Sealant products should not be used around heaters, furnaces, fireplaces, or recessed lighting fixtures where it contacts heat conducting surfaces. Cured foam is combustible and may present a fire hazard if exposed to flame or temperatures above 240F. If the application area does not meet or exceed these, you can use the product.

Did a test run today. I brought 8.5 gallons of water to 159F and then placed my insulator over the top and wrapped one of those Harbor Freight moving blankets around the bottom section where it was sitting on my burner. I ended up checking it after 70 minutes. It was dead on 159F. However, one small piece of foam oozed out from underneath the foil. It must have been a section that didn't fully cure and when it heated up, it expanded. I put some more high temp foil tape on that section, but it really wasn't that bad. Overall, if it performs like this going forward, I'll be really happy.

I wish I kept track, but I think it was about 8-10. Not real cheap. A "layer" is a single bead of foam. It only beads up so high, but if you try to go over it again before it cures, that's where it becomes a problem as the weight collapses it. Even when I went to a single layer, it was taking so long so some layers I built sort of high and I ended up with some small sections that were uncured. I had to slice the foil in those sections to get air to the uncured foam.

FYI, misting greatstuff lightly with water will make it cure faster. A friend of mine wanted to use it on the outside of a fermenter and it kept dripping/collapsing so when he reread the directions it mentioned misting with water and that solved the problem.

Latest posts

Back