Kegging/Tapping timing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownsfan62

Reaction score
OK, bear with me, this is a weird situation.

My family's kegerator is housed at our summer cottage on Kelleys Island (middle of Lake Erie). The ferry boats start to run on March 1; the family is looking at March 10 to get up there and open things up.

I'd like to have beer. :mug:

So, I'm looking at starting to brew up something not too heavy today; it gives me the timing to get the beer out of the secondary and into the keg just before heading up to the lake. Here's the problem: the CO2 is at the lake, so I can't pressurize the keg before heading to the boat.

I'm probably looking at no more than 2 days of the beer being kegged without being pressurized. If I sanitize the crap out of the keg, am I OK with that timing?? Thanks!

That's simple, transfer your beer from the fermenter to the keg when about .004 gravity points remain till fermentation is complete and it will naturally carbonate and be ready to drink when you arrive at your cabin.

You can also add some dissolved dme or priming sugar and let it naturally carbonate. You can look at a priming calculator, but I believe most people say to only use 3/4 of what those call for when keg conditioning. You might have issues with the keg sealing if you don't have a way to pressurize it until secondary fermentation begins.

Back