Kegging problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watzee

Reaction score
Happy Canada day weekend to all my Canadian HBTers. And hey don't you guys down south have something coming up too? Happy July 4th!

Couple Kegging questions...

I have been moving around a lot and my equipment has been banged around quite a bit. I have just got settled into a place and want to kick things back into high gear.

The last few times I hooked up a CO2 canister it drains within a day. But this doesn't happen all the time. I just replaced the o ring that connects the regulator to the canister, and have spares. So what is the best way to test for leaks? Where do you find you get leaks most?? I never had leaks in the past, and its very frustrating.

I've been having issues with crazy amounts of foam... air in the lines. I've looked this up before but can't seem to single in on the problem. I believe its in the keg itself. I've replaced o rings, I use keg lube, even replaced the entire post. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Anyone else had a constant issue with this? I don't think its a presure difference thing....

Anyway. I've been brewing for 4 years now. I got some used kegs and bought some brand new kegs... I don't want to start buying new equipment already.

Thanks to you all!:tank::mug:

Check for leaks with soapy water anywhere there is metal touching metal or a connection. For example, where the regulator meets the CO2 tank, on the CO2 regulator its self, on/around the keg lid. Grab a sponge and dip it in soapy water or use starsan foam.

If your canister drains within a day there is a definite leak somewhere and most leaks happen where I mentioned.

It may also help to completely submerge your keg and manifold (if you have one) in water. If you're losing a tank in a day, you might be able to see a pretty apparent stream of CO2 coming from the leak.

Good luck!

If you have a complicated system with manifolds and multiple kegs you can also try isolating parts of the system.

You can start with shutting off the CO2 at the out side of the regulator. (Assuming you have a valve there.) THEN shut off the valve on the tank itself. That way you trap some pressure in the regulator but it can't get more from the tank. If your system is air tight it will hold that pressure. Let it sit for a while and see if the pressure on the regulator goes down. If it does you know the problem is in the regulator or the connection to the tank. Then open that line and go to the next valve(s) you have on your system. If it leaks there you know it is in that part of your rig.

If you make it all through your valves then take the gas connects off your keg and see if it holds pressure. Lastly, connect the kegs one at a time and see if you can isolate which keg might be leaking.

Hope this helps.

If you want to check a keg, fill it with gas and submerge it. You can also submerge stuff which can handle being submerged. Also you can use a spray bottle with star san and spray on connections.

Crazy amounts of foam sound like a leak in your beer line, had that happen to me, bad ball lock which drew air when I poured. Easy check of beer line is connect it to a gassed keg and submerge it.

Back