Kegging infection question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
I just poured out of my corny a sour beer(infected) I cleaned it and sanitized it, my question is this

If I put a perfectly finished beer in the keg will there be a chance of it going sour? I dont want to ruin it! please advise!:)

As long as your good with your cleaning and sanitation process you will be fine. After an infected batch I would do an over night soak with pbw then starsan.

I ran some 1 week old sanitizer in it, emptied, and could smell sour afterwards . I put a new fresh batch of sanitizer a few minutes ago, ill check it out. I know I'm playin with fire here!

I might have to boil some water. and run ho water through it since there are some posts about doing that

So long as you fully cleaned and sanitized it you should be fine. It's always best to fully disassemble the keg and clean everything out. Check the dip tube, take the opportunity to re-lube your seals, you know the drill. Don't forget to give your lines and taps a good cleaning too. If that last beer was bad and was sitting on those lines, you don't want to taste that in your new beer, you know?

Im new to kegging, but I think I know the drill. I santitized it, kegged it and stuck it in the fridge at 36 degrees. ran the sanitizer thru the lines aswell. dissasembled the dip tube and ran a small brush thru it.

I put 20 psi in the keg after evacuating the o2. no lines are currently connected. I hope it will carbonate fast! Id like to try some tomarrow. Am I pushing it or do u think there will be some carbonated beer waiting for me in 24 hours?

I hope it will carbonate fast! Id like to try some tomarrow. Am I pushing it or do u think there will be some carbonated beer waiting for me in 24 hours?
Maybe too late, but i would bump that 20 up to 30, sit in a chair and slowly rock the keg across your lap for about 15 minutes. The beer should be cold before doing this. I have found this to be the simplest/fastest way to get some carb in, but I still let mine set at 30 for a day or two then down to serving pressure for a day or two. Less than 4 days, in my experience, just doesn't do the trick. But I'm no kegging expert either..

yewtah-brewha said:
I ran some 1 week old sanitizer in it, emptied, and could smell sour afterwards . I put a new fresh batch of sanitizer a few minutes ago, ill check it out. I know I'm playin with fire here!

Yes you are. Keep in mind sanitizer isn't very effective unless the surface is first thoroughly clean. Fully disassemble and clean with PBW or other effective CLEANER. You'd think sanitizer would "kill" anything on there but it only gets the top layer if there's any gunk built up, leaving plenty of spoil organisms behind. If your seals are in anything but perfect condition I'd go ahead and replace them as well. A few bucks worth of rubber beats 30 to 50 bucks of ingredients and hours of your time poured down the drain...

The only complaint I have is that when I racked it to the carboy It had more of a shock top taste to it whitch made me quite happy, today the orange and coriander isn't as present as it was then. Im on my second stein. maybey I just need to wait till evening, everythings tastes better when the lights are out!

Back