Fermentation in corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twalther

Reaction score
Uggh!! I had the tube from my corny keg come out the out instead of the in fitting. I had a half gallon of my lager come out of the keg. The fermentation just started.
My question is will there still enough yeast to continue fermentation or should I put in another yeast packet? I know yeast flocculates to the bottom.

You lost half a gallon because the fermentation was active, when the active yeast was distributed pretty evenly throughout the wort/beer. Assuming you pitched at an appropriare rate to start, you'd still have an appropriate amount of yeast to finish.

If you're worried about losing proportionally more yeast than wort/beer because of lager strains being "bottom fermenting," I wouldn't be. In my experience, by the time significant CO2 is being made (e.g. enough to push your wort/beer out), everything is churning.

Back