Bad Beer Suddenly Tastes Good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am really confused.

I made a wheat ale I loved, and then I got coronavirus. All beer tasted the same, and by "same," I don't mean good.

The wheat beer tasted too sour to drink. It was worse than the others.

I recovered to the point where everything else tasted more or less normal, but the wheat was still sour. I figured I had infected it. I am just getting my draft system set up, and I was handling everything and changing things. I hosed things off with Star San, but you can still infect things when you're playing around with equipment the way I have been.

Today while I was cleaning up a beer line and faucet so I would have a place to put my new lager, I accidentally shot wheat beer into a glass I had put on the tray to catch accidents. Because you buy a tray to catch beer, and then, of course, you put a glass on the tray to keep the tray clean.

Anyway, the beer that blew into the glass is fine. It's tart for sure, but there is nothing wrong with it.

Can't figure this out.

As long as it's not pasteurized it's going to change some even if kept cold.

Time makes most beer taste better for me. But if the goal is a super hoppy beer, then time is bad for that. But still it might be good, just not super hoppy anymore.

I've had some beer get infected in the bottles. They tasted nasty. I could tell which ones were infected by their very murky/hazy looks compared to the bottles that weren't infected. So I set those bottles aside. Eventually they tasted good. But not like the beer in the bottles that didn't get infected.

So again, time cures a lot of stuff. Except for old age!

Too many variables to ever really know what went on with this specific beer. But in general, I find that most of my beers get better for a couple of months and then start getting worse. I suppose I should try waiting out that first couple of months and then have all my friends over to drink the whole batch in a day.

I’m going to say it’s the corona thing. I am realizing the tastebuds come back at different stages and certain “tastes” get back to normal before others. Our tongues are divided into zones and certain tastebuds are in particular locations. Sour is its own spot and is a different tastebud than sweet or salty. That sour taste is probably the last one in recovery, there just haven’t been other foods/drinks that have been noticeable. I’d be curious to try a very acidic salad dressing, like a balsamic vinegar based one to see how prominent the sour is. When I had my tastebuds highjacked due to covid it was like piecemeal to get them back. Butter and acidity were the two things that I could detect and nothing else. Dark malty Beer just tasted like I through some hops in soda water, and sour was an experience, not a taste. I’d hold on to that beer and try it again in a few weeks/months. It might be entirely different.

Back