Kegging in 1/6 barrel or converting kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ondovcs1

Reaction score
I guess my title says it all. I just acquired a kegerator. I was planning on building one with a fridge that I have, but the fridge is only about 33"Hx19"Wx16"D with about a 7"x7" motor on the inside, so I figured I couldn't probably fit what I would want in it, if I could even get a corny in it.

Anyway, the new kegerator I have is for a sankey keg, and I can get empty 1/6 barrel kegs from local distributors. So I was wondering would it be better to keep it a sankey style, or convert it to ball lock.

I saw there were a few threads with similar topics, but nothing too close to this, so sorry if this seems repetitive. I appreciate the help!

Nick

There are kits that can let you switch back and forth, I believe. Why choose either if you can choose both?

Honestly, if I could get free sankey 1/6bbls, I would use them. Cornies piss me off. I always seem to have issues with leaks. There is a little more to opening and closing a sanke though. Depressurize first. Then you need a strong flathead screwdriver with a small head and between the tab and the ring, pry the ring out. May get some pliers to help once you get it started. Once you get the ring out twist the spear to line up the tabs, then pull out. Putting it back together, start the ring by hand and use some pliers (channel locks work great) to work it in around. First time may take some time, then it takes like 30sec max. Places sell certain rings to make it easier, but I've heard of many problems with those. I work with 1/2bbls sometimes and I'm sticking to the normal rings.

ODaniel has it dead on. Youtube Sankey dis-assembly, and you'll see some videos that show the process. It'll take you about 10 minutes the first time you try to take apart a sankey keg, but after the first 1-2 times, you'll be able to do it in like 30 seconds flat.

Sankey's are no harder to clean than a carboy, and rather easy to sanitize. They are are slightly less convenient that cornys, but if I got them for free, there's no doubt I would use them.

Back