Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I see lots of different terms thrown around like 1/4 barrel, corny, pony. Are they all the same? If I were to find a used kegerator that says it will fit two Pony kegs, is that the sae as saying it will fit two corny kegs? I know I am generalising, but just curious. On my second HB, so what the heck. LOL Thanks to all for the input. Rock On!!!!!!!

Here's a guide to some keg sizes:
what-size-is-a-pony-keg-keg-sizes-dimensions-3646721329.jpeg

For the corny keg styles (older ones, not new); Pepsi style ball lock posts and coke has the pin lock post. The pepsi kegs sit a little higher than the coke. Also coke kegs are slightly larger in diameter. I don't have the dimensions handy right now.

All of my kegs are the Pepsi ball locks and are very old. They were some of the first ones that were made available when the soda kegs hit the market. I have two one gallon, three 2.5 gallon, a dozen five gallon and one 10 gallon keg.

Just keep a good stock of gaskets and rebuild them periodically. No problems to speak of.

also extra fun is a full keg is half barrel and a half keg is a quarter barrel. And sixtel is 1/6, slightly more than a corny keg.

For the corny keg styles (older ones, not new); Pepsi style ball lock posts and coke has the pin lock post. The pepsi kegs sit a little higher than the coke. Also coke kegs are slightly larger in diameter. I don't have the dimensions handy right now.
I have found that to be true in my research as well. I am using a toredo keg I bought new as it fits just below the freezer shelf in my kegerator. I have one coke pin lock keg, but I have yet to figure out how to get the posts to seal up. I tried buying new posts, poppets and gaskets, but I cannot seem to get it right. It is shorter and will fit in the kegerator as well

Did you have the right threads for the ball lock posts?
I'm not sure. I bought the universal fit ones from Amazon. I am thinking of bringing it to my local Morebeer so I can fit the right ones to it. I have read that there are conversion ones that I did not know existed so that might be what I need. So far, I have 10 that were given to me, and I have been able to rebuild 3 with just using new Orings and seals. So, I am feeling pretty good about that. LOL.

If I were to find a used kegerator that says it will fit two Pony kegs, is that the sae as saying it will fit two corny kegs?
The only way to be certain is to know the inside dimensions of the kegerator as well as the dimensions of your kegs.

Also, "universal" posts and poppets aren't actually universal. This guide has been posted here previously. Hopefully you can read the name of the manufacturer on your kegs and find the right parts.

The only way to be certain is to know the inside dimensions of the kegerator as well as the dimensions of your kegs.

Also, "universal" posts and poppets aren't actually universal. This guide has been posted here previously. Hopefully you can read the name of the manufacturer on your kegs and find the right parts.
All I can read is Spartenburg and on the other side it says Coke. So, I am guessing Spartan on the list would be right? I need to get a new lid or prv valve as that leaks too I think.

Is it a sealing issue with the Coke keg? I've read where folks here have doubled up on the dip tube Orings to get a post to seal. With that many kegs, I'd also add a floating dip tube (also from More Beer) to some of them for some pressure fermentations!

Is it a sealing issue with the Coke keg? I've read where folks here have doubled up on the dip tube Orings to get a post to seal. With that many kegs, I'd also add a floating dip tube (also from More Beer) to some of them for some pressure fermentations!
I believe that's only for the racetrack kegs if you don't have the right orings.

I will when the time comes. Right now I am trying to get the all sealed and good to go. LOL

These over sized o-rings are good for kegs that are leaky with low pressure
Oversize Keg Lid Sealing 'O' Ring
Thanks for the link. I am going to check the threads on each post and go from there. Either that or take it to my local Morebeer and see what they can do. Out of the 10 I have, it is the only one that fits in my current kegerator LOL. Might be a good reason to get something new to fit the others? Hmmmm.

It is a coke keg that says Spartenburg on the other side. Not sure exactly what it needs, but both posts and the PRV seem to be leaking. I think I read somewhere that the coke kegs were pin lock and that there is a special post to convert from pin to ball lock. I am going to figure it out eventually. LOL.

But it was already converted when you got it, right? Are you sure you didn't get the posts mixed up with another keg at some point?
That is very likely, as I did not know they were different sizes based on manufacturer. So, I did take a few of the posts off at the same time to clean them and the keg with my washer. So, yes, to answer your question, I could very well have messed them up. So, that is why I am starting over and buying new posts, Orings and even might buy a new lid with PRV for this one so I have all new stuff in it. Knowing what I know now, I am taking one at a time and redoing them and pressure testing them one by one. So far I have 3 that hold pressure, 2 I thought did but seems they have some sort of slow leak as they lost pressure over a few days and 5 more I still have to fool with. Rebuild kits with new Orings for the lids and posts are cheap, so I don't mind redoing them all at some point. The nice thing is, for now, I don't have a kegerator that will hold them all, so I have time to fool with them. LOL.

I have one coke pin lock keg, but I have yet to figure out how to get the posts to seal up.
Can you tell where it’s leaking? Are you still using the pin lock disconnects? The o-rings are a different size on the pin lock posts compared to ball lock ones.
I’m pretty sure I get these O-rings at Home Depot.
83s for the dip tubes and 10s for the post.
Keg lube is your friend with all of these. I also prefer to spend the extra money and buy OEM poppets for the posts also.
IMG_1370.jpeg
IMG_1371.jpeg

Back