Kegerator confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good news!! I am getting a kegerator for Christmas. Bad news I am overwelmed by the contrasting and volume of information. I have been researching various kegerators. I have more questions than awnsers.
What is system D? What is the most available kegs? What are the best kegs? Are stainless steel towers a lot better than chrome. Are stainless as good as (Perlick) towers. What kind of connections, etc. My head hurts
I am looking for 2-3 tap kegerator. I like the Kegco's I have looked at with the digital readout and fan.
Any advice on what to look for would be great. I know nothing about kegging. My husband wants to buy me one and is very talented with engineering and mechanical abilities so I am not worried about set-up or operation.

System D is the Sanke coupler used to tap commercial American (most) kegs. Other couplers are available for import beers and some microbrews (Anchor Brewing).

Perlick makes faucets. Do they make towers? Most of the towers out there are made by others using Perlick and other faucets. Perlicks are good though, so those kegerators that use name brand faucets suggest that come with higher quality hardware. Also, if you want to serve homebrew, you need to think about corny kegs and plumb the kegerator for ball or pin lock quick disconnects.

Most reasonably priced (e.g. < $1000 USD) will be designed to hold about 2 1/6 barrel (5 gallon) kegs, or a single 1/4 (7.5 gallon) or 1/2 (15.5 gallon) barrel kegs. So, you are likely looking at 1 or 2 tap towers. If you like variety, it is difficult to argue with building your own kegerator out of quality parts available from various vendors (e.g. Beverage Factor [KegCo], MoreBeer, etc). There are tons of posts here about keepers and upright fridge conversions using temp controllers. I've seen some with as many as 8 taps. I have a 2 tap kegerator and sometimes wish I could have more kegs on tap.

Thanks, is there a preference ball lock or pin? Are corney kegs readily available. Is that preferable? If so the ball lock? The corney kegs are more narrow than the 1/6 size I guess.

Thanks, is there a preference ball lock or pin? Are corney kegs readily available. Is that preferable? If so the ball lock? The corney kegs are more narrow than the 1/6 size I guess.

I prefer ball lock (Pepsi) because their diameter is smaller than pin lock (Coke) kegs. My kegerator has plenty of vertical space, but the width of the kegs is always an issue with kegerators based on minifridges. Used corny kegs are available in both configurations, though pin locks appear to be a bit cheaper (I think because most homebrewers choose ball lock). Availability is becoming an issue, and with limited supply and increasing demand, these used kegs are becoming much more expensive than only a few years ago. In fact, I'm planning to purchase some new ball lock kegs because the price differential between used and new isn't that great. KegCo/Beverage Factory now has new stainless ball lock kegs with rubber top and bottom collars for around $105 each. But, if you search, you can still find used ball lock kegs, and it is easy to recondition them with new orings, etc.

With regard to dimensions, pin lock kegs are closer to the dimension of 1/6 barrel Sanke kegs. They measure in at about 9" wide and 23" tall. Ball lock kegs are about 8.5" wide and 25" tall.

BTW, I have my kegerator set up with a 2 tap tower, and use a 3-way gas manifold to split the CO2 between the kegs. Some use multi-way regulators so that each keg can be set to the proper pressure for the beer style. Since I sometimes serve microbrews, I also have a couple of Sanke D couplers with beer line quick disconnects so I can switch between micro and home brewed beers. That's something to consider as well.

I prefer pin lock. My kegerator used to be our kitchen fridge. with the crisper drawers installed levels out the bottom of the fridge and provides storage for washed yeast and such) I have JUST enough room to connect and disconnect my kegs. Ball locks wouldn't work for me.

The fact that pin locks tend to be cheaper is just an added bonus! :-D

All of my fittings and lines are MFL and I have a set of ball lock connectors. You never know what will pop up. If nothing else, the gas fitting comes in handy for the carbonator cap that fits 2-litre bottle.

I've found that ball lock (corny) kegs are much more plentiful.

First thing you want to decide (since you already know how many kegs you want to hold) is do you want a top opening chest style freezer (Keezer) or a front openning mini-fridge style kegerator.

This decision will depend somewhat on where you want this kegerator. Somewhere "public" for display and everyday access? Or in your brew shop where it doesn't matter how big it is.

I have a 9-keg keezer in the brewshop. And a two tap kegerator just off my kitchen area for public access.

Generally, every style you can imagine can be seen here and these things are 95% DIY.

Chest_Bigger_2.jpg

DripTray_New1.jpg

That's great. It's ordered, no turning back. A Kegco triple tap with, Perlicks, dual air gauges, 2 ball lock and 1 system D. I am really excited. I have a lot to learn, again.

Back