Kegcowboy.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krrazy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As the second vendor review I've done, I wanted to start providing honest and timely feedback on my ordering experiences to help the rest of the HBT population.

The majority of the pieces of my kegging equipment came from KegCowboy.com. I've been bottling for two years now and the stars aligned as it was the day before my birthday and KegCowboy offered a 5% coupon. I ordered my kegs from another source, so this order included my regulator, CO2 tank, disconnects, hoses, clamps, and faucets.

Ordering Experience:
I think the web interface is very user-friendly and easy to navigate. I provided some feedback that I think the clamp page should remind the customer that you need a special tool to open and close the clamps, but otherwise things seemed clear and intuitive. That being said, unfortunately a glitch occurred with my order causing the web form not to pass on any of my credit card information and thus my order was rejected. After two days with no notice, I finally learned this by contacting them.

Timeliness and Order Fulfillment:
The site has a note that kits take 1-4 days to ship so I patiently waited despite the fact that I really just ordered piece parts and not an assembled kit. Finally after one week I submitted another inquiry after not receiving any shipping notification or contact otherwise and over the course of the next few days I was notified in three different communications that three of the seven parts I ordered were not in stock. This provided some frustration as I would have ordered elsewhere had I known that almost half of the pieces weren't ready to ship. Eight days after my order was placed I was notified that the order was being shipped short one faucet.

Shipment and Product Quality:
Five days later my order arrived. The box was somewhat damaged, but everything inside was fine. Each piece was individually packaged and wrapped. All of the parts looked to be of good quality. Unfortunately I knew something was wrong when I unwrapped everything but the regulator (I ordered a dual) and found that there were two boxes remaining. In addition to being shipped one faucet short, I was provided with two single regulators instead of one dual regulator that I ordered and was charged for.

Customer Service and Communication:
I immediately (that same day) contacted KegCowboy via email to notify them of the error. I volunteered to do the modification myself if they would prefer that to issuing an RMA. At this point, with all that had happened, I would have really expected that the connection piece was shipped out overnight the next day. One week later, I had still not received the parts, nor any communication on status. Although all of the replies to my emails and PMs on this forum were friendly, there definitely didn't seem to be any sense of urgency for customer satisfaction about this vendor.

Twenty-seven days after my order (29 after my original order that didn't go through), I finally had all of the pieces that I ordered. Although I appreciate the friendly responses to my emails, I would not say that this vendor was very proactive about communication. Based on posts on this site, it sounds like others have had good success with them and that they seem to be a good local shop if you live in the area. I really appreciate the quality of the products for the price and the fact that they frequently offer 5% coupons. Unfortunately, due to the mistakes and the lack of communication, I would probably not order from this vendor again myself. Little touches like providing proactive feedback that my order was received but that they were awaiting shipment of disconnects, hoses and faucets would have helped along with doing something extra for the difficulties and time taken to fulfill my order. I don't expect a business to do things like that, but it would certainly go a long way to make up for the issues experienced. Unfortunately the long delay and frustration took a birthday present for myself and made it into a long and drawn-out exercise in frustration. I'm looking forward to moving on and putting everything together now that I have all of the parts for a multiple keg system!

I hope this is helpful, I will be happy to provide any additional details.

Nice review, thanks for letting us know.

As a comparison, I ordered some supplies from MoreBeer recently and one of the ball lock connectors was broken. I notified their customer service, and they had me check a couple of things like connectors, tightening everything down, etc. but nothing too extensive. Then I had a notification that they were shipping an order out the next day for the part. It probably would have been pretty speedy, but it was coming from CA to NY. Regardless, I was very pleased with their response and customer service.

Just ordered a keg conversion from them, for local pickup. The one thing I can agree on is the communication, and shortage of parts. My order took a couple weeks, and was short one part or another every time I called. They do have the lowest price i could find, anywhere. And with local pickup, it's a no brain-er.

I'd say, if you don't have an emergency and can wait for the part then you can't beat their price.

I ordered a 2-keg set-up the Monday before Father's day weekend. I shot them a message asking if they could try to make sure it gets out Wed. for Saturday delivery as I wanted to quick carb some beer for Father's day.

They answered that they could get it out and they did. Everything showed up that Saturday and I was a happy camper!

YMMV

I ordered a 2-keg set-up the Monday before Father's day weekend. I shot them a message asking if they could try to make sure it gets out Wed. for Saturday delivery as I wanted to quick carb some beer for Father's day.

They answered that they could get it out and they did. Everything showed up that Saturday and I was a happy camper!

YMMV

You were the lucky one.. I made my order (2 Keg set up SS) the same time,,, still have not recieved. I called them last week and was told that the shanks were on back order. BUT they should be in with in the hour and they would get them out that night. a week later, still have nothing and not a email one from them. I agree with the OP, ordering and price was nice but communication is sub par.

I made an order for a plate chiller, some odds and ends, and keg lube. I didn't get the keg lube, but the plate chiller looks like it will be a monster, hopefully when I make the switch to 10 gallon batches I can cool those down pretty quick. The got the keg lube in the mail really quick, sent them an email and had a shipping notice later that same day.

One of the HBT sponsors has $700 of my money from an order placed on the 21st of September. I called a week after and they said they didn't have the kegs in yet for my order. I told them that was fine, send everything else. They didn't have the faucets or dual regulator I ordered as well. Seriously? Why wasn't I notified or refunded right away? I then asked for a refund and they said no problem. No refund. Called back and the guy said he can't do it, his boss has to and will when he gets in. Two days later, no refund. I've been calling everyday and leaving messages ever since and I've received no response or refund. These guys are horrible businessmen and frauds.

By the way, after horrible experiences from kegconnection and then these guys, who do I order my homebrew supplies from?

Credit card? Call the bank and get a chargeback. When they get a notice to reply, they have to within a certain amount of time or the bank just hits them with the chargeback.

To add my two cents:

I had a similar experience with KegCowboy.com Ordered a Pump and a plate chiller. Everything showed "InStock" on the site so I figured I should get a tracking number or a shipping confirmation within a week. No dice. Took almost 2 weeks (with me following up via email and PM) before I heard back on shipment and get tracking numbers. Then I get the package and it has no pump. No second tracking number no word on why the pump was missing. Another 2 weeks of emails PM's and phone calls and I find out that they "ran out" of march pumps and had to buy it from a competitor and would ship it out the next day. All told I finally got everything I ordered, and it only took a month to get it :rolleyes:

Long story short, although in the end they eventually made everything right and I have absolutely no complaints about the products they sell or their prices, their communication could use some serious improvement.

I ordered 4 sets of gas & liquid ball lock connectors from their ebay store last month. It took them 3 weeks to get me the product, which only happened after I called and emailed several times. Then, when the QD's showed up, they all had 1/8" MFL barbs instead of the 3/16" ones for the gas side. I emailed them and they said they would send the correct barbs (should be qty 4). After another 10 days, I received a box (used regulator box) that included 2 MFL barbs. Are you kidding me? They only send two and they put them in a large box?

Nixed from my list of vendors are:
- Keg Cowboy, for the way they handled my order (also look at their ebay feedback, they're doing it to others).
- Chi Company, for the way they treat customers here on HBT and publicly bad mouth people.
- Austin Homebrew, for the way they denied their stolen credit card problems.

I had a recent negative experience with them as well and I even wrote a scathing review, but they tried to make it better so I deleted it.

With that being said, I think the way to get a prompt refund is to inform them you intend to request a credit card chargeback. This process costs them money in addition to the money they will eventually end up refunding anyway. No vendor wants that added expense, so they typically immediately issue a refund. See the post below and how quickly the refund was issued for reference.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/keg-cowboy-free-shipping-272698/index2.html#post3398485

Man. I don't like this thread. I have a Plate chiller that I ordered that is due to ship out "In October" as they were back ordered. I knew this at the time of ordering so am not worried at this point, but I sure have a lack of confidence.

I ordered a couple items a week ago and haven't heard anything since I received the automated order confirmation e-mail. It's been 7 days since I placed the order, so I sent an e-mail this morning asking about the status. I would think 7 days would be plenty of time to prepare a couple of items for shipping.

I haven't heard anything back yet today, and will be calling them tomorrow.

Placed an order 20 days ago followed by several emails and then got a promise to ship last Monday and still nothing :(
Will never patronize again

To whomever was looking for places to order from in the future, I've found beverage factory to be pretty good and more often than not, the cheapest too!

Similar experience here. Ordered a few things, after no word a week later emailed to find out whats up. 1 thing was out of stock (thanks for letting me know). I said refund me for the plate chiller (no eta on restock) and ship the rest. After 5 emails finally got a refund (after they said twice it was done). Didnt refund shipping cost on the extra amount and couldnt get it through their heads why I should get a refund on shipping cost. It was like $3 so I let it slide, but I will never buy from there again.

You have been warned!

By the way, after horrible experiences from kegconnection and then these guys, who do I order my homebrew supplies from?

I've only bought from KegConnection (two tap keggerator system and CO2 bottle) once but the order processed and shipped in only a couple of days. It was a recent order though, maybe they had issues in the past. I'd give them another try. Beverage Factory is pretty good too.

Interesting that there is no phone number to contact them.

Can we say ... sets off an alarm in my head?

Brent

- Austin Homebrew, for the way they denied their stolen credit card problems.

I don't recall it going down that way. I seem to recall getting an email from them, as well as a coupon for 10% off my next order.

I was told I didn't spend enough to get free shipping even though I used the free shipping coupon I was given. So I'm waiting to hear back again ...

The kegcowboy $36 regulator is a piece of crap. First of all, it's extremely difficult to set the psi you want--it just creeps up. I've also had leaks at the barb out and the gauge itself. The metal used to make it is extremely soft and the threads at most of the fittings just get stripped to hell if you try to tighten them.

Recently, I tried to fix it myself, but in the end chalked it up to my own fault for buying something so cheap in the first place. I went to keg connection and bought the $55 tap rite instead. It's like night and day.

I just want to address this and say many of our orders over the last three weeks were delayed due to a combination of issues related to our vendors. Most items are now in stock (in triplicate) I assure you that we tried in every way possibly including duplicating orders among vendors and seeking new vendors to keep the supply chain moving. We did not purposely sell something we did not have in stock as our stock is always changing, but when we have an order in for items that we get every week and have historically shown up as planned..........I believe we are acting in good faith. I appologize to everyone affected.......if we told you something that later proved to be false it is because we were acting on the information that was provided to us. The root of the problem is that, with the exception of the products we make ourselves, all of the products are coming from one or two sources. All of our vendors were out of the same items because..........obviously the manufacturer had a problem that they were not alerted too, we were not alerted too, etc. If another company was able to get a shipment out in a timely manner at a time when we could not it is simply because they were at a different cycle in their inventory. Every company has a complaint thread and every company is susceptible to supply problems (e.g. faulty Perlick 525 ss recall this summer) just like us on occassion. You may see the same problems that affected us in the last three weeks affecting other companies next month just because that are at a different point in their supply cycle. Sorry- Jeff

There is nothing wrong with having supply issues Jeff. The problem is that you failed to properly communicate this to your customers. I'm sure you mean well, but your communication is piss poor.

When you have a backorder, call or e-mail the customer immediately and let them know. Perhaps if you spent more time addressing these issues on the forum and less time handing out free shipping coupons for items you don't have this would never have happened. I find it interesting that when someone asks you a question here you often ignore it, but yet you find the time to send coupon codes seemingly on the hour.

Please spend more time communicating with your customers and less time sending coupon codes.

Well that certainly wasn't the case when you asked your question so I am not sure what you are referring too. It was answered publicly and within a reasonable time right? Like within a day or two which is about how long it took to completely assess issues affecting your order to provide you best possible answer instead of the answer that I had at the very moment you asked. If it was all internal then yes it should happen the same day - If we have to rely on parties outside the company it may take a day longer.

I like this thread, I find it quite useful & even (sort of) entertaining...
Thank you to all who have prosted. Regards, GF. :mug:

Gotta let you know that I ordered when there was free shipping. I called a week later because I had no confirmation of shipment. I was told they were out of the product I wanted. I emailed and Jeff was prompt in responding. I chose to cancel the order because of the delay. Keg Cowboy was prompt in refunding my money.
I agree that communication is the very best thing a company can do in this situation. If I could have waited the extra week I would have. It is always good to give the customer the choice.

Jeff

Please return my email today. I have sent 3 over the last week and two web updates. You charged me the day of my online order and then failed to send me any info. If you are out of stock let me know (and you should charge me only when they are in stock). 8 days is more than enough time to ship or at least send me a status. Needless to say I am an unhappy customer:mad:

I was getting ready for a plate chiller and march pump order from Kegcowboy...customer service sounds a bit under par...I'll wait a bit on this order and see if there are better reviews of your company Jeff.

I was getting ready for a plate chiller and march pump order from Kegcowboy...customer service sounds a bit under par...I'll wait a bit on this order and see if there are better reviews of your company Jeff.

I don't think you need to wait. Just give them a call to verify they have the plate chiller in stock. It seems all the problems with KC are from a lack of stock, and that information not being available on the website.

Back