Kegco 3 roller Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Shocker

Reaction score
Hello all. This is actually my first post here on the forum but I have been brewing for about 1 1/2 years now. When I first started out brewing, I immediately went to kegging. I knew bottling wasn't for me and knowing that I would want to have multiple beers on tap, went straight to building a keezer with a collar that has 6 taps, 6 kegs, and individual regulators for each keg. I wanted to make sure that everything was carbonated right for style and would pour correctly with appropriate serving line lengths. I went straight to the SS Brewtech 15 gallon boil kettle, 10 gallon Igloo Cooler mash tun, and made a keggle to use as a hot liquor tun out of a keg that a friend found on the side of their house when they bought it. Obviously, I am the guy that gets into something and immediately goes straight for the "best" option. I have wasted a lot of money in the past on different hobbies slowly buying and trading up to what I wanted in the first place. I learned my lesson and now just acquire what I know I'll probably wind up with in the end anyways.

I typically brew with grains I mill at the LHBS but I have been getting 60-70% extract efficiency in my mash. I use Beersmith (probably the most useful and cheapest improvement one can make to their brewing) and consistently hit my mash temps and volumes. I hold for over 60 mins since after my alarm goes off, I ignore it and keep doing whatever I'm occupied with at the time, so my extraction potential should be higher with a longer mash. My PH has been appropriate during the mash as well, which left me wondering if the milling was the problem. So I did a bunch of research and, voila, the grind makes a difference in my efficiency. So of course I'm going to get the 3 roller mill. But $300 for the front runner mill seemed like an awful lot, even for me.

I'm not a machinist, but I am a woodworker that makes furniture with hand planes, hand saws, and chisels, I worked construction for years, and now work as a fireman. I know how stuff goes together, comes apart, and I can tell right away if something quality is in my hand. That said, I wasn't convinced that $300 for a 3 roller mill was worth it for such a simple machine.

I took a chance on the Kegco 3 roller adjustable mill. At $150 it was awfully attractive. But nobody knew anything about it. So what did I do? I had about a half a dozen 8+% homebrews and hit "Buy" on Amazon. (Don't judge. I'm sure I'm not the only one)

2 days later it was on my porch. And it was heavy. I opened it up on my workbench, inspected it, and was actually impressed. I heard that there were "bronze bushings" in this roller but that was not the case.

Actual bearings are used in this model, which I was pleased with. I measured the ID of the bearing with my micrometer. I couldn't detect any slop in the fit of the rollers, bearings, and frame. There was one roller that did have some side to side play between the frame, but I don't think this would have any impact on the operation of the mill.

Then the OD of the roller stem

Hmmm. Pretty good.

There is a larger bearing located on the side that the drive stem is located, which is 1/2" drive in case you want to use a drill. This means that there is only one way this thing goes together.

The adjustable roller has no stem. The adjustment knob is eccentric and has the stem. The roller itself has the bearing pressed in. I was able to adjust the roller to the "credit card" gap by assembling the mill completely and sticking an old gift card (.03" micd) cut in half in between the fixed and adjustable roller. This took maybe 15 seconds. The eyebolts that hold this setting were easy to snug up tight.

The frame itself is cut from what looks like 1/4" aluminum stock and the cut ends are beveled and tapped for bolts.

The rollers were quite stout and the machining appears fairly well done. Certainly good enough to crush grain.

The only thing that "might" make a difference in durability is the RC hardness of the rollers themselves. I cannot measure this but I would think that for my own personal purposes, whatever the RC measurement is is probably fine. As such, getting the teeth redone at a machine shop would take about 15 minutes, so the cost would be fairly low.

The bin is made of punched sheet aluminum wrapped in that blue protective plastic.

I had heard that it might be a PITA to get off, leaving residue all over that would require serious elbow grease, an acetone/alcohol/goo-gone/SimpleGreen/aircraft remover bath to get off. But nope. The protective layers peeled right off leaving nothing behind but shiny aluminum. I guess my only nemesis now is peeling that silver barrier off the new peanut butter jar in one piece. (One day, peanut butter. Soon.) The holes all lined up perfectly as well. Since the hopper pieces are stamped, I had to make a quick pass with my deburring tool to smooth everything out. This took about 48.675 seconds after I removed all the protective plastic.

The package of hardware actually comes with nylon insert nuts, which was a surprise. I was expecting to have to put blue threadlocker on all the bolts. The nuts on mine were 7mm. Time will tell if they actually hold up, though.

My only gripe is that I had to buy the 4 bolts to mount the frame. $2. I used 1/2" MDF so I had to cut the bolts down to fit in the tapped mounting holes on the bottom. I didn't measure exactly but I figure that I cut about 1/4" off these.

The mill comes with a machined handle, which I'm not going to use in favor of my corded drill, but I'll include the pics here for reference. Overall pretty good.

I laid out the bottom opening on the MDF as well as the screw hole locations and cut everything out. I had some 1/4" washers laying around so I used those before applying threadlocker and tightening everything down.

I attached the bin to the frame and this is the finished product. The base is 16"x16" to fit on the food grade, 20qt plastic bins from Smart and Final.

Overall, I think that this is fairly well put together. If you take a step back for a moment and think about what a grain mill is, there's not much to it. 2 pieces of aluminum cut to size, drilled for either bushings or bearings, and tapped for mounting to a board as well as mounting the hopper. This process itself is not that hard, and could be done by anyone with a drill press and a bandsaw in an hour or two in their garage. Besides, aluminum is cheap so the materials cost is pretty low. I could buy these bearings at Grainger for maybe a buck a piece. I imagine a bulk discount would bring these costs down significantly.

The rollers are machined fairly well also, and if this is your only job in the shop, or it's being done by CNC, I would think the time to crank the rollers out would be fairly minimal. Besides, the steel for the rollers would be fairly cheap. I think any excess costs would come from heat treating and hardening the steel, which would be beneficial if you mill a lot of grain. I'm not sure yet if that can be justified on a homebrew scale quite yet.

I had a tough time convincing myself to shell out $300 for a 3 roller grain mill when I know that this is really a simple machine. But for me, $150 is well worth it. I'm going to try my hand in the next couple weeks milling the grains at home. I will be conditioning the grains was well, since that process makes a lot of sense to me and I can do it while I heat of my mash water. I'll post pics of the milled grains when I do so we can all see the results.

Thanks a bunch for posting. This mill is on my wish list, seems to be a good value.

Just days ago I finally realized what a difference the crush could make. I have only ever gone to one homebrew store, and used their mill. My mash efficiency has always been 60-65%. Recently I started double milling, and efficiency crept up to 70-75%.

Well last weekend I tried a new store with a new mill... I double milled there too, thought the crush looked finer, and got an all time high of 85%.

I'm moving to electric BIAB soon and have read that an even finer crush may be beneficial, so the Kegco may be headed my way.

Awesome! Very nice first post! I looked hard at this mill myself but honestly since I've yet to have any issues with my 2 roll mill I can't justify it. My Chinese cereal killer appears to be made the same way (minus the third roller) and it have held up great with hundreds of pounds of grain through it so far so I don't see why these wouldn't do the same. The main difference I believe between these and more expensive mills is markups and paying for advertising. (Obviously also anything actually made in the states would cost more too whether it's actually better or not).

great post, and I just ordered one of these mills. 2 questions, tho
1) does anyone have the necessary dimensions for the cutout in the base? I'll have some time this weekend, so I might try to build the base and get it ready so all i need to do is drill the bolt holes and assemble.

2) is the eccentric adjustment knob marked or calibrated? what setting on the knob corresponded to your credit card adjustment.

thanks.

great post, and I just ordered one of these mills. 2 questions, tho
1) does anyone have the necessary dimensions for the cutout in the base? I'll have some time this weekend, so I might try to build the base and get it ready so all i need to do is drill the bolt holes and assemble.

2) is the eccentric adjustment knob marked or calibrated? what setting on the knob corresponded to your credit card adjustment.

thanks.

I bought an unfinished table top at Lowes that was big enough to overhang a 5G food grade catch bucket also from Lowes. I simply used the base of the Kegco mill as a template to mark my jigsaw cuts.

Yes, the knobs on both ends of the mill are engraved/etched with setting numbers. I BIAB so I have my crush set pretty fine but you'll need to experiment. The top opposing rollers are preset so the adjustment is for the under 3rd roller. The top rollers kind of set up a pre-crush, then the bottom roller completes the grind.

I have mine set at .040. The mill ranges from .032 to .063. I had to research this but Mike Wilser of Wilserbags helped me here:

There is a .032 mark at 3 o'clock, .063 at 12 o'clock and .032 at 9 o'clock meaning (I think) this is a concentric rotation setting. These settings are repeated on both ends of the mill.

On the drive side as Mike and I discussed, I set the line to .040 with the marker on the roller close to the .032 marking at 3 o'clock. On the non-drive side, I set the roller marker to .040 to the left toward the 9 o'clock marking of .032.

I had trouble finding much information about setting this up online. However, set as I explained, I am getting over 80% efficiencies with the crush from my mill setup as explained.

I bought an unfinished table top at Lowes that was big enough to overhang a 5G food grade catch bucket also from Lowes. I simply used the base of the Kegco mill as a template to mark my jigsaw cuts.

great info on the adjustment knobs, that is very helpful.

I can use the mill itself as a template if I wait.... i'm just impatient and snowed in pretty hard this weekend, so i figured if i knew the dimensions of the hole, i could rig something up out of plywood and stuff i have laying around at least to get started. I don't want to be fooling with building stuff when I could be brewing. :ban: After a couple batches I can go back and do a nicer job.

great info on the adjustment knobs, that is very helpful.

I can use the mill itself as a template if I wait.... i'm just impatient and snowed in pretty hard this weekend, so i figured if i knew the dimensions of the hole, i could rig something up out of plywood and stuff i have laying around at least to get started. I don't want to be fooling with building stuff when I could be brewing. :ban: After a couple batches I can go back and do a nicer job.

I can measure the outside dimensions of the mill's base if you'd like. Let me know and I can pull a tape on it tomorrow.

Also, if you want, I can take a picture of the bottom of the mill so you can see the way it fits and where the mounting holes are located. PM me so I can send the pic email or text.

I can measure the outside dimensions of the mill's base if you'd like. Let me know and I can pull a tape on it tomorrow.

Also, if you want, I can take a picture of the bottom of the mill so you can see the way it fits and where the mounting holes are located. PM me so I can send the pic email or text.

I think now rather than try to saw a rectangular hole out of a single piece of plywood (without a jigsaw), i'm going to make something with some scrap lumber leftover from other projects. I can just bolt the base to 2 separate 2x6's, and tie them together with 2x4's. should only take a couple minutes. Thanks for your help. :mug:

. I can just bolt the base to 2 separate 2x6's, and tie them together with 2x4's. should only take a couple minutes. Thanks for your help. :mug:

While this may work fine, it can be argued that a single piece of plywood may be a better idea. It is important that the mill mounting board is flat and true, and this may not happen using several pieces of wood nailed or screwed together.
Ymmv

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1483900767.852463.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 170
Just ordered one of these bad boys. Now to pick up some mounting bolts and a bigger drill :)

Just ordered one of these bad boys. Now to pick up some mounting bolts and a bigger drill :)

Couple of tips to help you along the way. If you build your own base make sure the frame of the mill is very squared up and ensure the rollers spin freely. If the mill is out of alignment due to the base not being drilled properly you'll have problems with the roller spinning freely. If you choose to buy a base instead, the bases available from Monster Mills fit the Kegco exactly. You'll need 6mm bolts as the Kegco is threaded metric.

You need a drill with a 1/2" chuck as 3/8 wont fit the drive shaft. I went with a $49 HF drill and burned it up using it between the Kegco and a Corona mill. I then bought a 10a DeWalt drill and it has boatloads of torque to start the grind and keep low and slow rpms w/o bogging down.

When you adjust your bottom roller gap, turn both adj knobs to ensure the roller is at it's lowest point (widest gap). Turn the adj knob on the drive shaft side clockwise to adjust, and the adj knob on the non-drive side counter clock wise to adjust this eccentric roller. I set my gap at .038 which works well for my grist since I BIAB. I use a set of feeler gauges for this while some use a credit card to set the gap.

Thank you Morrey!

I'm wondering if I can just mount it to the barley crusher base and drill the necessary holes.

Thank you Morrey!

I'm wondering if I can just mount it to the barley crusher base and drill the necessary holes.

Yes they are clones of one another and use many of same parts from the same manufacturer besides the rollers.

I would also consider using a drill with replaceable brushes if your going that route or they will all eventually "burn up" when the brushes wear down with that much use..

Thanks Augie. I thought of getting a corded drill, but really need a better cordless so I'm getting a flexvolt, brushless Dewalt package. It has a 1/2" hammer drill that should do the trick.

Thanks Augie. I thought of getting a corded drill, but really need a better cordless so I'm getting a flexvolt, brushless Dewalt package. It has a 1/2" hammer drill that should do the trick.

The 3 roller Kegco is a bear to spin with a tight gap.

JMO, I think some tasks are more well suited to a beefy corded drill.

I've used the D handle HF drill, the drill is strong but I would be hesitant w anything less. I think it's 9-10 amps. The key is really a powerful drill with gear reduction which gives you the high torque required.

I llke a fine crush, as roller gap
decreases, torque required sky rockets ime.

Is this mill still the version with bearings? On their website it states bronze bushings. Not sure it matters much, but it's pretty cheap and simple to replace cartridge bearings.

Is this mill still the version with bearings? On their website it states bronze bushings. Not sure it matters much, but it's pretty cheap and simple to replace cartridge bearings.

The one I got a month or two ago has bearings, not bushings.

Brew on :mug:

They are all cartridge bearing now.
I customer service when I ordered mine and was told the first batch they did was bushings but have been bearings since.

Very happy with mine. I couldn't imagine doing 20 lbs of grain by hand though. It's a workout to crank. I use a corded 1/2" Milwaukee drill to spin it.

Well I ordered one of these over the weekend only to get an out of stock email this morning.

Fortunately (maybe) I've just moved house and am about to rebuild my brew stand and get my new cold side setup assembled and tested so it'll be a while before I can really brew anyway but the delay is somewhat frustrating

Well I ordered one of these over the weekend only to get an out of stock email this morning.

The Kegco 2 roller is on sale today "opening day " baseball season sale for $103 shipped, and a $10 off coupon "save today" keeps popping up on the site as well....guessing you could get the 2 roller for $93 shipped?

Not sure what you were spending on the 3 roller, but the 2 roller is certainly capable. I believe it is the same as the cereal killer, and no one has much bad to say about them.

I have the 3 roller, but in reality, I'm not sure it does all that mush more than the 2 roller.

Just an option.

If you have the time and energy give them a call and explain nicely how disappointed you are on the lack of availbility of the 3 roller, they may offer you a steal / deal on the 2 roller.

TBH I'm going from a cereal killer to the 3 roller so I'm happy to wait. Might give them a call and see if they can knock something off for the delay though

TBH I'm going from a cereal killer to the 3 roller so I'm happy to wait. Might give them a call and see if they can knock something off for the delay though

Is the Kegco 3 roller that much of an upgrade from the cereal killer?

I have the Kegco 3 roller and a corona mill....they both work about the same, very well lol

I would start at .38 and go from up/down from there. I ran a batch at the beginning at .33 .35 and went as high as .45. For me I settled in at .38* So that might be a good starting point for you.

*I do condition all my grain before milling too.

:mug:

What is your gap setting with the 3 roller mill just picked one up

I'd guess it's around .025". I just referenced the markings on the mill and adjusted to get a nice crush by eye. I prefer a pretty fine crush for either BIAB or cooler MT with a braid.

One drawback of the three roller vs the two roller, is that you need to remove the front cover plate and the hopper attachment bolts of the mill to measure the gap at the lower roller. I realized this after spending some time assembling the mill and didn't feel like taking 6-8 bolts back out to measure gap.

Yeah and overall it's cheap enough, I'm not dropping 300-400 on a monster mill. The larger hopper and any potential improvement in crush is enough to keep me happy

Back