Replaced failing bearings on mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoengine

Whale Noun Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed that my rollers weren't rolling properly and after disassembling the mill, the four bearing sets were just barely functioning. Fortunately the part numbers were still visible so after some searching I found good looking replacements. I did make one change though. The originals were single shielded bearings and I swapped them out for double sealed bearings. There is a lower RPM tolerance for sealed but since the mill runs at such a low RPM anyway I decided I didn't care.

20230525_171246.jpg

20230525_170920.jpg

You can see significant damage from the roller contact with the soft aluminum block. Getting the bearings out of the blocks were simple, I just inserted a brass drift into the rear of the block and tapped them out. The rollers were another issue. We ended up rigging a puller out of a vice and a couple nails and with a slide hammer got them out.

Pressing the new ones in was painless.

20230530_165643.jpg

20230602_134523.jpg

Hopefully this fixes my problems I was having.

20230602_164633.jpg

How old was that mill and how much use did it have?
Not too hard maintenance but I am wondering how often this may be needed.

I couldn't answer. I bought it used off the forum a couple years back, and I perform a fairly fine crush since I use it for BIAB. To me it was obvious something was wrong due to the rollers not moving freely. I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice something is off.

What flavor was your bearing? A bit crunchy!
Borrowing a friends hull wrecker mill for a couple brews and it is only about a year old. Bearing on the drive roller is very noisy compared to the idle roller which sounds like new. I can feel a very slight play in the shaft and see a little rust in spots which tells me he has washed the mill. Most likely going down the road yours did but still good life left. I am guessing there is no way to oil the bearings as they should be sealed.
This just shows how important it is to not get these things wet.

Attachments

• grain-mill-rust.jpg
    grain-mill-rust.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 0
More seriously, it makes me worry a bit for those who are moistening their grain before milling.

I've been conditioning malt for years but to date haven't had milling problems related to bearings. That said, my first mill (BC) was bushed and I expect one could literally dunk that one without repercussions. Ran over 3000 pounds through it before reversing the rollers and now use it for just oats, wheat and rye so I can leave my 5 year old Cereal Killer barley gap untouched. The CK mill does have ball bearings - "sealed", fwiw - that so far are still quite smooth and run without any hiccups.

Conditioned malt should be barely damp, never wet...

Cheers!

You can confirm if they are sealed, shielded, double shielded or double sealed by the part number and inspecting if each side is the same. When ordering the P/Ns end with:

Z = shielded
ZZ = double shielded
RS = sealed
2RS = double sealed

Mine were all ZZs. Also, I never used any liquids with my mill, but it certainly could have been before I bought it.

Latest posts

Back