Keg problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indianafan

Reaction score
I just kegged my first beer. I followed the chart for how much pressure to carbonate your beer with and currently have 10psi on the keg. However I cannot get the keg to dispense any beer. What am I doing wrong?

Can you give anymore details about your setup? Is nothing coming out of the faucet or just foam?

Nothing. No foam or anything.

I have a 5lb co2 tank connected to the in side of the keg and 3 feet of tubing leading to the tap. This was a kit I bought from my local beer supply store.

Cylinder and regulator are both turned on? Gas and beer lines both connected? Seems like it has to be something simple.

If it's set to 10 and shows that, then the co2 is and tank are on, so I'd imagine a check valve is closed. The little handle should be parallel to the gas tubing, not perpendicular to it. That's my guess

I agree. Simple. Yes I heard co2 go into the keg when first turned on. If I relieve pressure I hear more co2 going in.

Here are two pics. Pressure does escape.

image-3267293101.jpg

image-784686137.jpg

Is the keg pinching the beer line? It looks odd in that photo but I'm looking from my phone.

FastAndy said:
Is the keg pinching the beer line? It looks odd in that photo but I'm looking from my phone.

It appears the beer makes it down the line to where the keg seems to be set on top of the line.

I agree. Simple. Yes I heard co2 go into the keg when first turned on. If I relieve pressure I hear more co2 going in.

Agreed. Bottle may be empty.

Disagree because of the previous response.
Is there beer in the tube to the picnic tap. In the picture it looks like none at the QD, some on the down leg and then none coming up to the tap?
When you say nothing comes out the tap, do you mean nothing at all, i.e. not even CO2?
If so I would say check that the black QD has the pin installed (and it is not broken/deformed) and is pushed all the way down on the post.

Could the QDs be reversed and not attached to the correct posts?

Check this first. Black = Beer (out), Gray = Gas (in).

There is no beer at the top of the hose by the black disconnect. Once you make sure the black is on the "out" post, make sure it's seated properly. Pull up on the locking part of the disconnect, make sure it's raised all of the way up, and then push down on the disconnect to seat it, and then release.

The last resort to check after this is to make sure there is a long dip tube attached to the out post....

Is it me or does your regulator drastically change appearance from one picture to the next? You have pictured two different regs (I don't think this is your problem though).

This might be messy... but worth a shot after trying all the other ideas.

Take beer QD off (black). Push in top of the beer out post with a small screwdriver. Beer should spray out everywhere. If it does then put it back on and try to dispense. If it does not dispense. Then you need a new QD. Just my 2 cents.

IF beer does not fly out everywhere. Then there is A) no pressure in the keg. OR B) clogged beer dip tube. Which seems unlikely given the circumstances

^^^Agreed. I would definately try that and eliminate the chance of your posts being reversed and/or a faulty QD. Also, there are definately two different regulators pictured above. What's up with that?

What kind of beer is this? Is it dryhopped? You could definately have a clogged diptube. If all else fails, depressurize the keg. Sanitize and remove the dispensing post and diptube and inspect it for clogging.

Just some ideas anyway...

Same regulator. I will try that last suggestion. I had thought of this but because if the potential mess was holding as last resort. Initially a little beer filled the tube. But only when I would crank up co2 pressure to like 30psi. But nothing would ever come out. It is sitting on tube in picture but that was after taking everything out of refrigerator and trying something and putting it back.

Thanks for replies.

The fact that a little beer filled the tube initially and then stopped leads me to believe that you have a clogged dip tube. Same thing happened to me one time when I dryhopped and excess hops were transferred to the keg. The hop pellet material clogged the tube in short order.

Same regulator in both pics? That's a puzzle to me. The adjustment knob is red in the first pic and black in the second pic. Also, the high pressure gage has red and green highlighted pressure regions in the first pic and only a red highlighted pressure region in the second. :confused: I'm curious on that point more than anything.

Same regulator in both pics? That's a puzzle to me. The adjustment knob is red in the first pic and black in the second pic. Also, the high pressure gage has red and green highlighted pressure regions in the first pic and only a red highlighted pressure region in the second. :confused: I'm curious on that point more than anything.

My brain can't move beyond this aspect either. They are CLEARLY not the same regulator - red and black. Red one indicates tank pressure while the black indicates an empty tank (basically). Red one shows a check valve is open; Black one shows either no check valve or it's closed. I would have to surmise that the problem is somewhere between the co2 tank and the beer faucet :D

Sorry guys. I should look more closely at my pics. Yes I did change regulators trying to see if that was it. But I did that several days ago. I didn't remember taking that last picture. I had these pics from sending to someone else.

Changed out the tap and hose from keg. It works now. Something wrong with original tap.

So same QD, different picnic tap?
If so unscrew the picnic tap and check the piece that pulls up the rubber plug is still inside the plug and hasn't pulled out completely.

Thank you. I will Check that. Haven't had time to tear into that. I'm on my 3rd pint since I have some time to make up for.

Back