Liquid around keg relief valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
I just noticed today that the beer I kegged earlier this week has some beer that escaped out of the relief valve. I haven't had pressure over 15psi and it is currently sitting at 10psi. Any thoughts? Should I be worried?
20240222_151401.jpg

Agreed, spray Star San mix or some soapy water to see if there's an active gas leak. Might save your cylinder.

If it isn't currently leaking I'd keep an eye on it, but you could pull the QDs, release the head space pressure, unscrew the PRV, and quickly inspect the captive gasket that should seal its port. Maybe there's some bit of something stuck on it that's enabling a leak.

I should ask: have you used that keg lid before? It looks new...

Cheers!

Agreed, spray Star San mix or some soapy water to see if there's an active gas leak. Might save your cylinder.

If it isn't currently leaking I'd keep an eye on it, but you could pull the QDs, release the head space pressure, unscrew the PRV, and quickly inspect the captive gasket that should seal its port. Maybe there's some bit of something stuck on it that's enabling a leak.

I should ask: have you used that keg lid before? It looks new...

Cheers!
I did a purge, and yes it is new. Only had one other brew in it. This time around I used keg lube. Nothing else has come out. I'll keep an eye on it for now.

Ah, well, if you popped the PRV to release head space pressure it could easily have gotten wet inside that took awhile to dribble out. Hopefully that's all it was...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back