Keg help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xfevv

Reaction score
Just started kegging my beer. I have two kegs in a chest freezer, converting to keezer soon. Kegs are at 10 psi and have picnic taps on 8' 1/4" id tubes. All I'm getting is foam? Any suggestions? LHBS sold me picnic taps with 2' lines and said that was all I needed which didn't work. Upped to 8' but no luck. I really don't want to have to get longer lines if I can help it.

Just started kegging my beer. I have two kegs in a chest freezer, converting to keezer soon. Kegs are at 10 psi and have picnic taps on 8' 1/4" id tubes. All I'm getting is foam? Any suggestions? LHBS sold me picnic taps with 2' lines and said that was all I needed which didn't work. Upped to 8' but no luck. I really don't want to have to get longer lines if I can help it.

Well, the issue is the 1/4" ID line. If you get 3/16" line, then you could get by with 8 feet of line. That 1/4" line is designed for LONG runs, like 25 feet, at a bar.

Yooper said:
Well, the issue is the 1/4" ID line. If you get 3/16" line, then you could get by with 8 feet of line. That 1/4" line is designed for LONG runs, like 25 feet, at a bar.

Thanks Yooper. I'll check out 3/16" and hope that helps. Went with the 1/4 because that's what LHBS sold me initially :)

What temperature? How did you carbonate it, using the "set-and-forget" or the "crank-and-shake" method, or natural carb? I agree the beer line is likely the culprit, but there could be other factors as well.

Also, with the picnic taps, you pretty much have to open those things fully to get a good pour. If you open the taps only halfway and restrict the flow, you create turbulence and foam, at least in my experience. I don't know if this applies to you, it's just one more possibility to check.

hunter_la5 said:
What temperature? How did you carbonate it, using the "set-and-forget" or the "crank-and-shake" method, or natural carb? I agree the beer line is likely the culprit, but there could be other factors as well.

Also, with the picnic taps, you pretty much have to open those things fully to get a good pour. If you open the taps only halfway and restrict the flow, you create turbulence and foam, at least in my experience. I don't know if this applies to you, it's just one more possibility to check.

Carb it using "set and forget". Temp it right around 38/40 or so (have an old school dial type temp controller so it's hard to say for sure)

Since you are buying new lines you may want to start longer (10-12') and trim back in increments if you are trying to minimize length. Most people find 10' works fine.

Back