Keg foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Impetuous Brewer

Reaction score
Here's my setup:
5' of lines, about 3' from center of keg to top of tower, 3/16" hose, serving temp 41 F, pressure about 12 PSI. It is a Sanyo setup, it has never balanced like the charts indicate it should.
My glasses always end up all foam, not just the first one. Are there any solutions other than increasing my line length. I have tried to fluctuate the pressure, but don't want to lower it so low I have to turn it up to maintain carbonation. Thanks for the help!

My Sanyo setup never worked well with 5' of line, even though other posters are having success. I swapped out for a couple of 8' lines and it's much better now.

After dealing with the foam monster, I went with 10' lines. Not necessarily perfectly balanced for every beer, but I don't deal with foam.

Here's my setup:
5' of lines, about 3' from center of keg to top of tower, 3/16" hose, serving temp 41 F, pressure about 12 PSI.

I also have 5' of line in my Sanyo, and keep it at about the same temperature, maybe a little cooler. I have to keep my serving pressure down around 8 psi or the foaming is unmanageable. As is, I usually get a big hit of foam in the first glass, with subsequent pulls being perfect.

Of course it pours a little slower at the lower psi, but it beats pouring nothing but foam. Eventually I'm putting in longer lines, but for now it's a good workaround.

I am eventually going to put in longer lines as well because of this problem. I serve at 5 PSI and don't have a major problem with foam except for the first and sometimes second glass in any given session.

:tank:

Back