Keg cold then warm then cold - impact to beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhh2b

Reaction score
I have a dorm fridge I use as a temp controlled ferm chamber and kegerator. I have a keg of IPA homebrew in there now.

If I need to use the fridge as a ferm chamber before I float the IPA, will it 'hurt' the IPA to take it out allowing it to warm up for a couple weeks? Skunked out IPA :) ????

The fact that temperature changes like that lead to skunking is a myth. The beer will be fine.

Think about common beer scenarios where the temperature changes: any beer that's lagered (including trappist beers) or cold crashed, then bottle conditioned is gonna see some pretty big temperature swings, and it's not a problem.

It's not a problem as long as you don't have any contamination. I had an oktoberfest that sat in 80+ deg. F for over a week that was fine.

Great stuff, thanks. So it sounds like the worst thing is I will be without the IPA due the fermentation of the other beer :)

Back