Keezer type?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewcephus

Reaction score
So, I’m getting ready to start building my keezer. End goal is a 4 tap Keezer that is capable of holding 6 kegs, 2 will be conditioning kegs. I’d also like to make one of the taps a nitro tap, but that has yet to be determined. I may just add another tap down the road.
I’ve already bought 4 kegs, dual body regulator, 2 of the taps and will be purchasing the other 2 taps, 4 valve distributor and a few other parts in the next couple of weeks.

The question I pose is this, and for discussions sake answer as if this is YOUR keezer that you are building:
Do you use the standing/upright freezer that you already have or do you go buy a chest freezer?

The only mandate that I have from SWMBO is that I can’t just have a freezer with taps coming out of it in the middle of the room that sticks out like a sore thumb. It has to be a decorative piece and appear as it belongs in the room. I will be building housing around whatever I decide to go with and will stain/decorate accordingly.
I like the idea of the standup freezer because of the smaller footprint, but I really like some of the chest freezer models I’ve seen here. The possibilities are endless really, just wanted to consult the minds for more ideas.

Thanks,
Brewcephus

If I had an upright freezer I'd probably go with that; smaller footprint, easier to load kegs, and it's already paid for. If it's done right I think they look great (e.g. see JonW's, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upright-keezer-8-taps-11-kegs-371438/#post4642019). I had a chest freezer so I went with a coffin style with a collar for extra capacity. It's probably easier to "dress up" a chest freezer but it's more of a pain to load kegs compared to my old fridge-based kegerator.

Post up pics of the room it needs to blend into. Hard to visualize what needs to happen without context.

Well, it's not so much that it has to blend into the room. I just can't have a freezer in the corner with taps coming out of the door.

If it's done right I think they look great (e.g. see JonW's).

I love JonW's keezer and the fact that he was able to get 11 kegs into it is just icing on the cake. That's partly what inspired me to try the standing freezer over the chest freezer. However, I can't have a plain freezer sitting in the corner and will have to plan accordingly so as I can build a case around the unit.

And yes, being that I already own a standing freezer that's money that doesn't have to be spent on this project and can go toward "dressing up" my keezer. I have a friend who is a great artist so I'm thinking of getting him to do some custom artwork to be displayed on it. Will update when I start the process so y'all can follow along :D

Back