Keezer Build - Foamy Beer Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozwald

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished converting my freezer into a full blown keezer. Originally I was using the basic picnic taps and now I have regular taps from birdman. I poured a glass last night and it was all foam. I figured the keg may have been shaken up while transporting plus my beer lines were warm.
I poured another glass a few minutes ago and still too much foam. My pressure settings are the same as I've always used, my liquid lines are 3/16" @ 5' long (same as before). The keezer temp is around 45 and the liquid line housing is close to the same.

Why am I getting so much foam??? HELP!!!

Can you post a picture of your set up? Maybe someone will see something that you are not seeing.

Chances are you just need longer lines. It is the easiest fix to most foaming issues. I have 2 taps, one with 5' lines and one with 10' lines (I recently replaced a line so I bought the longer one). The longer line gives me a perfect pour every time. The shorter line gives me lots of foam most days.

I had been fighting foam on both taps for a while and this was recommended by several HBT'ers

Probably the easiest method for including images:

When you initiate a Reply, scroll down below the edit pane and you'll find a "Manage Attachments" button.
Click that and you can upload pics directly from your system and they'll be included in your Reply...

Cheers!

Seems like everything is starting to settle out. I turned the pressure down a couple of psi, running between 10 and 12 psi instead of 14. Attached are a couple of pictures of the piping. The lines are pretty messy. I still need to straighten up a bit.

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

Hey guys, having the same problem. Got my system set up and first keg carb'd. I starting carbing it at 20 lbs for a day, 10 thereafter. I'm worried I force carbonated too fast and will be drinking flat beer in a few days. Its also losing some of the body and flavor it had yesterday. I'm down to 5lbs of pressure and beer is still hauling ass into my pilsner and has a huge head that stays a while.

I just went to a 5' line (got a 10' 3/16 at hardware store as LHBS was further away... as a kegging newb, anything else I should look for?

All in all, kegging is the **** and I'm loving it!

FYI oktoberfest is what I'm drinking. at 35*

45*F, 12psi and 5 ft of beer line is bound to produce a bunch of foam.

Change all beer lines to 12ft of 3/16" and drop the temp to 40-42*F. You will be much happier.

Thanks everyone. I didn't ask the question, but I too am having an over carbination issue. The first pour of the day seems to be all foam.... the second, and third - usually 3 is about what I drink in a day - are less foamy, but still foamy. I think my lines are too short as well. I'll replace with 10 or 12' x 3/8" lines soon. That sounds like a good solution to me.

thx floyd.went to get new line but hardware store didn't stock the thick stuff. thin wall leaked on both ends of the line. stay with the thick stuff fellas from LHBS

GL carter

Y'all think my beer will go flat?

thx floyd.went to get new line but hardware store didn't stock the thick stuff. thin wall leaked on both ends of the line. stay with the thick stuff fellas from LHBS

GL carter

Y'all think my beer will go flat?

Scott has a bunch of the good 3/16" beer line in stock. I saw some there a few days ago.

Temperature stratification in a keezer can also be an issue. It can be 10-20 deg F difference in temp from the bottom of the keezer to the top. Cold beer going through warm[er] lines can cause CO2 to come out of suspension, and result in foamy pours.

I see a fan in the build, but it doesn't look well aimed to actually generate much airflow. I'd recommend checking to ensure you're getting enough airflow. I actually have 3 fans in my keezer and I've measured <2 deg difference top to bottom.

bwarbiany,
The fan you see in the picture was mainly to suck air up into the top for the tap lines. The area in the box actually stays fairly cool.
Since completing the build I have been getting a considerable amount of water, not condensation, in the bottom of the freezer. I've gone through a few times and sealed any openings that could be leaking outside air. I also have an Eva-Dry unit on order.
Where do you have your fans and do you have any water issues?

Back