Keezer and/or Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j3r3my

Reaction score
I have a 7 cf keezer that I am using to keep the fermenting at temperature and I am trying to decide if I should buy another freezer to put kegs in, or buy a refrigerator to put the kegs in, or just collar my keezer and ferment at room temp.

I saw Yambor44's video's and his refrigerator setup is slick. Any input is helpful.

There are definitely some awesome kegerators made out of chest freezers. Not really a right or wrong answer to your question. Your own personal preference. Space available and how much time you want to put into it. I've never used a chest freezer as a kegerator but it does seem like a bit more figiting to get the temperature set. But people do it all the time and are happy with them. I just prefer friges as kegerators and a chest freezer for ferm chamber. I see you live in Las Vegas so unless you keep your place airconditioned in the 60's during the hot months it's probably not the best idea to ferment at room temp.

Just some thoughts.

where do you usually drink beer? i usually drink beer in the house.

i certainly don't want to have to run out to the garage every time i want a homebrew. i also don't want some ugly old fridge in my house where i have to constantly look at it.

so, i got a kegerator kit for $325, and built this beauty. it stays in the living room: https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/100_1598.JPG

I like your fridge Dogphish. Looks nice, I could see that inside my home. What kind of fridge is it ie., brand, cubic feet?

It is a Haier brand mini fridge. I got if off craigslist for $50. http://www.hnse05vs-01.info

It BARELY fits two kegs and a 5 pound CO2 tank. The freezer section had to be CAREFULLY bent down and into the rear of the fridge to make room for both kegs.

I also had to remove some of the plastic/insulation where the rear keg touches the interior of the fridge in order to close the door. The shelves inside the door had to be cut away too.

Now, i just charge the kegs with CO2, then store the tank and gas lines in my closet.

...also, i cut through the wire that connects the thermostat to the compressor when i drilled the hole in the top of the fridge. it was buried in the foam insulation inside the roof of the fridge where i couldn't see it. i just bough 3 foot of chord at the hardware store and re connected the thermostat to the condenser using some wire nuts.

my friend wasn't as fortunate. he bought a brand new, slightly larger mini fridge. when he drilled through the roof of the fridge, he hit a freon line. now that fridge is unfixable.

my fridge doesn't have any buried freon lines. they run inside the fridge where you can see them.

has anyone ever used one of those electronic chiller plate fridges that don't have a compressor and freon?

Back